Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2013, 12:47 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Hot SD cards?

Does anyone else notice the camera body gets warm around the grip after shooting for a few minutes?
If I take the SD card out it's quite hot. I assume it's the card that's getting hot rather than the camera heating the card.

I use an 8Gb Sandisk Extreme 30Mb/s class10

01-25-2013, 01:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, I've also felt it sometimes. I recall Sandisk, or some other maker, making comments about that the toughest challenge with high-speed SD cards is transferring heat. I also recall seeing some specs about core temperature of the cards under high load and it could be crazy high. I don't think we have worry about it in most cases but melting has been reported but is very rare.
01-25-2013, 02:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeh, sandisk seems to be hotter.
I tried an EyeFi Pro X2 class 8, wasn't anywhere as hot.
>>Melting<< Eeek, that's sounds messy for the camera card slot...

Interestingly first time I used the EyeFi in the Q a few weeks back, came up 'Memory Card Error'. After deleting the DCIM folder it was fine. But using it again now I got the 'Memory card error' message once more - I couldn't even format it in the Q without encountering the error message!.

I ended up formatting it in my K-7 and then it worked in the Q. Never had that problem with the EyeFi in any other camera? Anyone else come across that?
01-25-2013, 08:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, Eye-Fi is slower but WiFi usually gets hot, so dunno why it's much colder for you. Actually a hotter outside doesn't have to a negative as the cards may have better heat transfer.