Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-25-2013, 11:49 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
  1. I use this Pentax Optio Genuine Leather case (which a Pentax Customer Service Rep recommended for my K-01) for my Q. It is actually very nearly a perfect gadget bag for the 2 Lens Kit. I will review with pictures this weekend (I could swear someone else already did this but I can't find the thread). Clearly the CS Rep heard Q when I said K-01. I bought 2 because I hate paying more for shipping than I pay for the actual shipped item. Now I've used one.
Looking forward to your review and maybe some pics of this bag - looks perfect for the Q - and perfect for my BBA..............

01-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
PTX-L80 Optio Gadget Bag review - for Q

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Looking forward to your review and maybe some pics of this bag - looks perfect for the Q - and perfect for my BBA..............
Here you go - such as it is. Robtcorl also uses this bag and I think he's the one who first linked to it (I wrote I couldn't find the thread).

When I got my K-01 last winter I called Pentax USA Customer Service asking for advice on a bag for the (then) new camera. The intrepid representative on the other end of the telephone recommended this bag, assuring me it would be a perfect fit, so I bought two for $9.95 each since shipping cost more than one bag alone. Alas, the K-01 won't fit through the throat of the bag, even without a lens mounted.

The bag itself is Genuine Leather - there's even a little leather tag attached to a strap ring to remind us of that fact. It actually is a nice, supple embossed grain leather dyed black. The material is neither so thin as to risk a tear nor so thick as to feel stiff and heavy. Stitching appears straight and strong throughout the item, so that it seems a much higher quality than its price suggests. There are several small features designed into the bag and the necessary hand sewing operations to provide them make it an excellent value.

The bag is petite, just like a Q.

Taking our Que () from the orientation of the red Optio letters embossed into the top and Pentax logo on its flap, the front of the bag has a full-width patch pocket with a hook-and-loop closure. The back, then, has a belt attachment patch stitched on. The loop appears large enough to allow a 2" belt to pass through. In this orientation, if you carry the bag on your belt, the top opens away from your body for convenience and safety. A small tab facilitates opening the top. The patch pocket has enough depth to hold slim objects such as an extra battery, SD card or lens/body caps, but not much else.

The interior of the bag is standard dark gray flocking, thick and pdded enough to protect against ordinary bumps and jostles. There is one small removable divider and a removable stiff, covered baseboard for stability such as are found in expensive camera bags.

Sewn into the top across its width there is a traditional mesh pocket. The bound elastic edge is tight and holds the mesh firmly closed. The expandable mesh seems suitable for more dimensionally shaped objects than would fit the outer pocket.

The bag includes a strong woven nylon strap with durable metal nautical swivel clips that attach to D-rings sewn firmly into the bag ends in a double-bound pattern. To my eye, the strap alone could sell for $9.95 in any camping or rigging catalog.

With the 02 5~15 Zoom mounted (one of the longer Q lenses to date) the Q can be stored face down for easy retrieval and something else stored in the smaller adjacent space. In this orientation the top zips closed comfortably without placing any strain on the camera or the bag. A user who owns, for instance, the 01 and 06 Zoom could store the 06 in the small space with the 01 mounted (and the Q would sit a bit lower in the large space).

As a final note, when I received the bag(s) I was shocked to discover they were stuffed with stiff paper to maintain their shape (as an expensive purse would be - ask my wife) and packed in a plastic sleeve for protection.

In my opinion this Pentax Optio gadget bag will serve a Qser quite well - and should be purchased on its merit and held for whatever use presents itself at some later date, just on the basis of sheer value.

The PTX-L80 Optio Gadget Bag is available from the Pentax Webstore @ $9.95 each HERE

Respectfully submitted,

monochrome
01-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Very nice review - thanks for taking the time to put it together! Very impressive quality for the price for sure.

As you said in your review, I have just the 01 and 06 lens so this is the perfect bag for me.

Just found one at Amazon for $9.95 - got it with free shipping when I added something else I've wanted to make the order $25+.

This should be in the review section - it would be easy for you to copy paste it right from here:

Camera Bags - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
01-26-2013, 06:42 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
This should be in the review section - it would be easy for you to copy paste it right from here:
Thanks for the kind words and for reminding me - done!

01-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Thanks for the kind words and for reminding me - done!

Not trying to be critical, but you put your review where the description belongs. There are two steps to do since you are creating a review for an item that is not on the list. Where you put your review, all that needs to go there is the description of the bag - like the size, material made from etc. The to post your review after creating the product, you hit the "add review" button to add your review.

As it shows now, it has now reviews.

Again - not trying to be critical or anything like that - it's just that you put together such a nice review I wanted to be sure others will be able to find it properly.
01-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Not trying to be critical, but you put your review where the description belongs. There are two steps to do since you are creating a review for an item that is not on the list. Where you put your review, all that needs to go there is the description of the bag - like the size, material made from etc. The to post your review after creating the product, you hit the "add review" button to add your review.

As it shows now, it has now reviews.

Again - not trying to be critical or anything like that - it's just that you put together such a nice review I wanted to be sure others will be able to find it properly.
Well, coach (), that was my first official Review on the new system. I've only done K-body camera reviews in the past.

Thankfully the OP gets an Edit Brick
01-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Well, coach (), that was my first official Review on the new system. I've only done K-body camera reviews in the past.

Thankfully the OP gets an Edit Brick
I meant no disrespect at all - but it looks beautiful now!

01-31-2013, 04:11 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am complete (sort of)

Just thought I would add that my second Q - the White Q / 01 Kit - arrived today. I have a business meeting this evening and the Subaru is getting a workout in the snow (and the abttery on the Q is depleted) but the weekend beckons!!

So now I have a Q / 01 / 02 kit and a Q / Q>K Converter kit and two small leather cases for them.

oohrah.
01-31-2013, 05:16 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Loos like you are all set! Post back after you have had a chance to play.
01-31-2013, 05:44 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just thought I would add that my second Q - the White Q / 01 Kit - arrived today. I have a business meeting this evening and the Subaru is getting a workout in the snow (and the abttery on the Q is depleted) but the weekend beckons!!

So now I have a Q / 01 / 02 kit and a Q / Q>K Converter kit and two small leather cases for them.

oohrah.
Qungrats on the new Q acQuisition!
Maybe brave the weather, Que up some pork steaks, Quaff a few Buds, and take a few Quick pics of the steaks Qooking on the grill.
(note to others, it's a St Louis thing)
01-31-2013, 08:13 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Qungrats on the new Q acQuisition!
Maybe brave the weather, Que up some pork steaks, Quaff a few Buds, and take a few Quick pics of the steaks Qooking on the grill.
(note to others, it's a St Louis thing)
Heh. That's one way to go.

Then there's Toasted Ravs and Schlafly, with an Amighetti's chaser.

Oh, and I have the O.T. Hodges recipe.

But for a true "Brave the Weather" experience, a large TerraMizzou Concrete at Ted Drewes. Eat it on the sidewalk. THAT would be a Qtrip for Saturday afternoon