Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New to me Q/02/Q>K Converter Kit!!

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

HellQ Qeople!

I have my new-to-me Black Q and 02 lens, plus a new Pentax Q>K Converter [EDIT: plus a White Q/01 Kit]. Mine are the cast-offs from members who bought the Groupon and NewEgg kits to get a lens or a body.
  1. Super high quality
  2. amazingly solid and heavy (a good thing)
  3. there is a learning curve coaxing clean images out of the camera, but no one ever promised easy, they just promised smallest ILC.
  4. Still holding it as an SLR (left hand underneath, fingers of right hand wrapped around the right grip) and I have large hands. Still a comfortable grip (for me) just as the K-01. Others might question my grip.
  5. The buttons are tiny. The Power button is just the least bit annoying, but not to the level of a negative.
    1. I have size 10 hands. I think an MX is too small. Why I don't think a Q is too small is really beyond my ken - but I love this thing.
  6. I use this Pentax Optio Genuine Leather case (which a Pentax Customer Service Rep recommended for my K-01) for my Q. It is actually very nearly a perfect gadget bag for the 2 Lens Kit. I will review with pictures this weekend (I could swear someone else already did this but I can't find the thread). Clearly the CS Rep heard Q when I said K-01. I bought 2 because I hate paying more for shipping than I pay for the actual shipped item. Now I've used one.
  7. Planned additions in order:
    1. 06 Zoom
    2. [Added] DA*300 Tripod Foot [EDIT: Ordered from Pentax Parts Depr. In Stock 02/06]
    3. [EDIT:] ND 100 PL Polarizing Filter
    4. Red Dot Finder
    5. 01 Prime [EDIT: Bot a Q/01 Kit from a member 02/02]
Planned subtractions of suddenly disused equipment:
    1. All my film bodies except the KX [EDIT: and LX EDIT: and SV]
    2. All my interesting dust magnet Pentax legacy accessories (that have no use - Copipod w/ 49mm mount board, anyone?). This is going to take some time.
    3. All my fly fishing equipment.
    4. All my Alpine camping equipment.
  1. (Notice I don't plan to sell any lenses that cover a 43mm dia. image circle)
Darned Qeople. You've really messed up my Qriorites

Last edited by monochrome; 02-07-2013 at 08:58 AM.
01-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
HellQ Qeople!

I have my new-to-me Black Q and 02 lens, plus a new Pentax Q>K Converter. Mine are the cast-offs from members who bought the Groupon and NewEgg kits to get a lens or a body.
  1. Super high quality
  2. amazingly solid and heavy (a good thing)
  3. there is a learning curve coaxing clean images out of the camera, but no one ever promised easy, they just promised smallest ILC.
  4. Still holding it as an SLR (left hand underneath, fingers of right hand wrapped around the right grip) and I have large hands. Still a comfortable grip (for me) just as the K-01. Others might question my grip.
  5. The buttons are tiny. The Power button is just the least bit annoying, but not to the level of a negative.
    1. I have size 10 hands. I think an MX is too small. Why I don't think a Q is too small is really beyond my ken - but I love this thing.
  6. I use this Pentax Optio Genuine Leather case (which a Pentax Customer Service Rep reocmmended for my K-01) for my Q. It is actually very nearly a perfect gadget bag for the 2 Lens Kit. I will review with pictures this weekend (I could swear someone else already did this but I can't find the thread). Clearly the CS Rep heard Q when I said K-01. I bought 2 because I hate paying more for shipping than I pay for the actual shipped item. Now I've used one.
  7. Planned additions in order:
    1. 06 Zoom
    2. ND Filter
    3. Red Dot Finder
    4. 01 Prime
  8. Planned subtractions of suddenly disused equipment:
    1. All my film bodies except the KX
    2. All my interesting dust magnet Pentax legacy accessories (that have no use - Copipod w/ 49mm mount board, anyone?)
    3. All my fly fishing equipment
    4. All my Alpine camping equipment
  9. (Notice I don't plan to sell any lenses that cover a 43mm dia. image circle)
Darned Qeople. You've really messed up my Qriorites

you added a new Qism... Qriorites
01-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats on becoming a Qeople too!

That makes at least 2 of us in the StL area with a black Q, same Optio case, and the same learning curve.

And don't think for a minute we didn't notice that you said 'planned subtractions'
01-25-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the sQuad Paul!

If you have any Queries or are on a Quest to find which of your Quota of lenses to hang on to, peruse the sticky https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/209474-adapted-lenses-tested-q-r...ce-thread.html

Sounds like you are well eQuipped already and any Qualms you may have had about the Q will be Quickly Quashed.

01-25-2013, 10:18 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Congrats on becoming a Qeople too!

That makes at least 2 of us in the StL area with a black Q, same Optio case, and the same learning curve.

And don't think for a minute we didn't notice that you said 'planned subtractions'
Indeed, I saw your location and have meant to PM you. Glad to know you are using the Optio case also - did you review it?

AFA the "Planned Subtractions" list, I shared it with my wife. Excellent tactics. Questionnable strategy.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-25-2013 at 10:34 AM.
01-25-2013, 10:20 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Welcome to the sQuad Paul!

If you have any Queries or are on a Quest to find which of your Quota of lenses to hang on to, peruse the sticky https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/209474-adapted-lenses-tested-q-r...ce-thread.html

Sounds like you are well eQuipped already and any Qualms you may have had about the Q will be Quickly Quashed.
Should be fun.

I'll slip some samples onto the thread (or threads into the Q Forum for you to link) if any of my lenses aren't already represented.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-25-2013 at 10:30 AM.
01-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
One brief observation. As with any digital camera, a Q requires light. From my reading, the 02 5~15 Zoom might need a bit more light than the 01 to produce a clean image.

Last night I attended an awards banquet and carried my Q in my suitcoat pocket (heavy, but tolerable even considering the bulk of the 02). You can picture the room - especially if you are a pro. Say wedding. Wide, shallow, low-ceilinged room. Lots of tungsten recessed lampholders, some chandeliers. A spotted dais.

IOW,

I need a dash of flash.

I used Av and Auto WB, sometimes with the flash elevated. The light volume certainly helped the exposures themselves, but the color rendering is VERY cool. I shot jpeg instead of RAW so I'll have less latitude in post (and they're just snaps anyway so I won't bother) but that's the learning curve to which I referred.

There's a lot more to this little gem the just another point 'n shoot!! But one must work to get the benefit.

01-25-2013, 10:44 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
One brief observation. As with any digital camera, a Q requires light. From my reading, the 02 5~15 Zoom might need a bit more light than the 01 to produce a clean image.

Last night I attended an awards banquet and carried my Q in my suitcoat pocket (heavy, but tolerable even considering the bulk of the 02). You can picture the room - especially if you are a pro. Say wedding. Wide, shallow, low-ceilinged room. Lots of tungsten recessed lampholders, some chandeliers. A spotted dais.

IOW,

I need a dash of flash.

I used Av and Auto WB, sometimes with the flash elevated. The light volume certainly helped the exposures themselves, but the color rendering is VERY cool. I shot jpeg instead of RAW so I'll have less latitude in post (and they're just snaps anyway so I won't bother) but that's the learning curve to which I referred.

There's a lot more to this little gem the just another point 'n shoot!! But one must work to get the benefit.
I also find that when using flash I have to lock the ISO because if I let it float I get wild variations on exposure.
And yes the flash does give a whiter look to the pics in AWB. There is a Flash WB that I have not really tested, it may be required.
The 02 zoom is perfect for these type of events.
01-25-2013, 10:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome and enjoy your Q. On your planned additions you stated a ND filter. Don't most Q lenses have a built in ND filter, my 01 does

Hans
01-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I also find that when using flash I have to lock the ISO because if I let it float I get wild variations on exposure.
And yes the flash does give a whiter look to the pics in AWB. There is a Flash WB that I have not really tested, it may be required.
You are correct, Oh Qaster. I should have written 100 PL Polarizing filter. But then I'm disposing of my fly fishing equipment, so why will I need to shoot through water on a sunny afternoon (when the fish are down and there's nothing else to do)?

Last edited by monochrome; 01-25-2013 at 11:15 AM.
01-25-2013, 11:11 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you have a hood for your 02? Lens Hood Shade Fits Pentax Q SMC 5 15mm F2 8 4 5 02 Standard Zoom Ph SBA 40 5mm | eBay
01-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yep - since I am buying mostly from the Marketplace I am able to "build" the combinations I want, for what I want to do. Since most (all?) of my Quse will be just for fun, documenting activities, family stuff and mundane American middle class snapshooting the 2 zooms will cover everything I need to do. The Q>K converter will employ all my other lenses without additional investment. For what most members would call serious work I have the K10D (ISO 100 color landscape work) and K-01 (and sooner than most people think, an LX-D, but we're not going there in this thread).

And I hadn't yet researched the eBay versus official Pentax hood, but the price sure looks right. Thanks for the link.
01-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #13
Veteran Member

My query is this, if I have Pentax K-mount manual focus lenses, why would I need the Pentax Adapter Q for K-Mount Lens over a generic adapter? All my lenses have aperture rings.
01-25-2013, 01:21 PM - 1 Like   #14

Photos: Albums
The genuine Pentax adapter has an integrated leaf shutter that will allow shutter speeds greater than 2s for adapted lenses (and faster than 1/13 of a second for flash scenarios if I recall correctly). A generic adapter lacks the leaf shutter and therefore has those limitations.

If your lens collection is all manual, and you shoot in situations that have sufficient light, a generic adapter will probably work for 99% of all your needs. However, if you plan on using a flash, or need more precise control, the integrated leaf shutter on the genuine adapter is the only way to go.
01-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxScott Quote
The genuine Pentax adapter has an integrated leaf shutter that will allow shutter speeds greater than 2s for adapted lenses (and faster than 1/13 of a second for flash scenarios if I recall correctly). A generic adapter lacks the leaf shutter and therefore has those limitations.

If your lens collection is all manual, and you shoot in situations that have sufficient light, a generic adapter will probably work for 99% of all your needs. However, if you plan on using a flash, or need more precise control, the integrated leaf shutter on the genuine adapter is the only way to go.
Thanks for the heads up.