Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
In bright sun I wear a broad-brimmed hat (Tilley Hat) anyway for sun protection. Since I keep my hands close to my body the hat brim usually shades the LCD - bright sun almost never obscures the LCD.
I like this idea better. If I wanted a bunch of contraptions on my Q, I would just shoot something with an optical finder. The whle idea of the Q, IMHO, is to keep it light, keep it simple. My take.

01-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kivis Quote
I like this idea better. If I wanted a bunch of contraptions on my Q, I would just shoot something with an optical finder. The whle idea of the Q, IMHO, is to keep it light, keep it simple. My take.
Heh. kivis, it works for me. YMMV. If your mileage veries at least you'll have a very nice hat.
01-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #18
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I'm not bashing the Q, in fact I find it a fascinating little camera, well built, and from the images I see on this Forum it is very capable......and those long shots are amazing! I'm also not selling Fujis, but I own the X10 because I positively have to have a viewfinder in the bright Texas sunlight here. The X20, which I hope to have next month will even have information on the OVF, which will make it even better. How does the X10 LCD work in bright sunlight...it doesn't!

I can't find too much fault with Pentax for the lack of a viewfinder on the Q, as small as it is, it might be a very difficult engineering feat? Most of the time it is not a deal killer, but around here, it could be almost every day. I seldom use the LCD outside, and use it exclusively inside or in very early or very late hours of the day outside.

...just adding, I like to look around over here, you guys have some nice work, and I like your enthusiasm (most of you) for the Q. From what I see, it is justified!

Regards!
01-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Q forum, fun loving? Oh definetly. Rupert, get a Q and join the fun.

Like monochrome, I use a hat to shade the lcd screen. My hat is an Olympus E1 hat ( yes I still use an E1). It is black and really knocks the sun.

Played with a Hoodman and didn't care for the optical quality. Will check out some other hoods. Might build or modify one.
thanks
barondla

01-28-2013, 08:56 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well tomorrow it will be 80 and sunny, looking forward to a beautiful day.
01-28-2013, 08:58 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I'm not bashing the Q, in fact I find it a fascinating little camera, well built, and from the images I see on this Forum it is very capable......and those long shots are amazing! I'm also not selling Fujis, but I own the X10 because I positively have to have a viewfinder in the bright Texas sunlight here. The X20, which I hope to have next month will even have information on the OVF, which will make it even better. How does the X10 LCD work in bright sunlight...it doesn't!

I can't find too much fault with Pentax for the lack of a viewfinder on the Q, as small as it is, it might be a very difficult engineering feat? Most of the time it is not a deal killer, but around here, it could be almost every day. I seldom use the LCD outside, and use it exclusively inside or in very early or very late hours of the day outside.

...just adding, I like to look around over here, you guys have some nice work, and I like your enthusiasm (most of you) for the Q. From what I see, it is justified!

Regards!
Good to see you poking around here Rupert!

Just wanted to show you my solution for having no viewfinder on the Q.....

Last edited by photolady95; 04-17-2016 at 02:34 AM.
01-29-2013, 11:25 AM   #22
owl
Forum Member

Maybe it is my screen protector, but my display seems polorized such that my sunglasses cause it to darken when held in the portrait orientation. Makes the screen look dimmer than it really is, wondering if some folks are experiencing that in bright sunlight and blaming the camera. Just a thought.

01-29-2013, 03:04 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kivis Quote
Well tomorrow it will be 80 and sunny, looking forward to a beautiful day.
I was out at the beach today, bright and sunny. I was pleasantly surprised with the LCD completely usable (without sun glasses) no problem framing images.

Hans
01-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
I was out at the beach today, bright and sunny. I was pleasantly surprised with the LCD completely usable (without sun glasses) no problem framing images.

Hans
Yes, I had the same experience. Very usable.
01-29-2013, 05:27 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by owl Quote
Maybe it is my screen protector, but my display seems polorized such that my sunglasses cause it to darken when held in the portrait orientation. Makes the screen look dimmer than it really is, wondering if some folks are experiencing that in bright sunlight and blaming the camera. Just a thought.
All LCDs are polarized, it's part of how they work. (Not all flat screens are LCDs, but I think all that can be found on cameras are.)
01-29-2013, 05:36 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote

Played with a Hoodman and didn't care for the optical quality. Will check out some other hoods. Might build or modify one.
thanks
barondla
Just a thought, you did take the protection film of the lenses, mine is crystal clear.

Chris
01-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Chrisj, the hoodman was on a friend's Q. Fairly sure he took the film off because the image was sharp. What bothered me was the bowing of lines towards the edges. The magnified image had a small amount of "fisheye" look. Played with it for about one hour and it made me a little woozy. Never had that problem with my Q.

I probably could use it. Would require time to be comfortable doing so. Especially with moving subjects. Thinking about adapting or building my own.
thanks
barondla
01-29-2013, 07:34 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
What bothered me was the bowing of lines towards the edges. The magnified image had a small amount of "fisheye" look. Played with it for about one hour and it made me a little woozy.
Agreed the Hoodman is not so good at the edges. I've mainly been using it for super-tele work where the main thing I care about is focusing rather than composition, and for focusing the Hoodman's excellent center performance is a good match.
01-30-2013, 05:22 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I'm using my Hoodman with the 3X magnifier so that may help, it does look a little incongruous on the Q, but it does give you that third point of contact so the camera is much more stable and slower hand held shutter speeds are possible.

There are other alternatives, one is the Delkin universal 3" LCD shade which will fit the Q - just. You have to watch the left hand side as you can obstruct the battery door, but it does fit. The advantage here is that when the hood is folded down it gives the rear screen good protection when cayying the camera in your pocket or a bag. The Hood can be removed easily by just sliding to the side.

Delkin Universal Black Pop-Up Shade for 3.0 Inch Screen | eBay

The third (expensive) option is to use a monitor coupled to the Q with either an AV lead from the micro USB socket (the lead with the yellow phono plug on it, used to be supplied, now is an extra or 3rd party ones) or from the HDMI port, either give you the LCD view when composing the shot (not all cameras do, some just give you the playback). I have this gear as I shoot video, not bought specifically for the Q, but it does work on it.

Chris
02-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey this would help. Anybody tried this?

LEITZ 50MM SILVER METAL VIEWFINDER USED