Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2013, 04:59 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJ Quote
The only time I have ever had a lens physically damaged was with just this scenario except my shattered filter scratched the lens coating and ruined my new lens, never fitted a 'protection' filter since then.
Same here. Fortunately this was in the days before I had a decent budget (in the pre digital era), and as such the lens concerned was a cheap Tamron 90-300 that was pretty bad to start with... It happened when someone accidentally *sat* on my camera bag. The lens was in there with all caps on plus a filter, but unfortunately with the hood reversed. The pressure applies broke the filter which scratched the front element of the lens.

Wim

02-06-2013, 11:37 AM - 1 Like   #32
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJ Quote
I have come across many occasions of flare caused by filters, just take your camera out in any town centre after dark and take a scene with street lights in shot.
You mean, like this?

A B+W filter was used in all of these. I can very well understand that lesser filters may cause problems. But that is a different problem.

Let me put it this way - if filters were all so bad, then the people that use them would stop using them. I keep using them because I don't see them causing any problems in my shots. And if one day I will hit a scenario where the filter is at fault ... well, that day I would remove the filter for a moment, no big deal.
02-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote

A B+W filter was used in all of these. I can very well understand that lesser filters may cause problems. But that is a different problem.

Let me put it this way - if filters were all so bad, then the people that use them would stop using them. I keep using them because I don't see them causing any problems in my shots. And if one day I will hit a scenario where the filter is at fault ... well, that day I would remove the filter for a moment, no big deal.
well said, I agree.
02-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
And I already told you that I scratched the coating of my Tamron lens using a microfiber cloth and a speck of dust caught in it - no hammer was needed for that.

And it's not only scratching/breaking that are the risks - kids paint, brandish spoons with food. I'd rather have to deal with cleaning a filter than with cleaning the front element of a lens.

So a hammer will do no damage, but the shards will? Either the front element can take any punishment, or the hammer example is irrelevant. Looks like some things can damage the front lens after all.
Strange that your lens get a scratch by just cleaning... while mean have been rolling through the dirt almost literary...

Yes, if you understand pressure you know why a shard can damage the lens more then a hammer.
Filter glass is hard and the surface is small so it's easy to make a scratch without much force.
You can cut yourself on paper right but it's very hard to cut yourself on cardboard.