Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-28-2013, 10:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To UV or Not to UV

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Are folks using a UV filter on their 01 or 02 lens? I like using a hood for protection but there seems to be varying opinions on using a UV. Thoughts?

01-28-2013, 10:55 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't use UV filters for my Q lenses, nor my other lenses unless special conditions, as it just degrades image quality. Since getting a hood for the zoom I barely even use a cap in my pocket so my camera is always ready to shoot. I have yet to get a 01 hood and after I get one I probably will go cap-less there too.
01-28-2013, 11:40 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
No UV filters here either. Why put a cheap piece of glass in front of a good lens on the remote chance that something is going to smack the front of the lens hard enough to damage it? I know there are good (read expensive) UV filters, but that's just too much to pay for insurance for something that neither I nor anyone I know has ever had happen. A cheap hood on the other hand doesn't hurt anything.
01-29-2013, 01:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Is it worth getting the hood for the 01 prime? (Is there even one available?)

01-29-2013, 04:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Hood is a good idea outside, it prevents flare and it can give images more contrast.
01-29-2013, 04:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

$40!?! Sorry, that's silly money
Pentax MH-RA40.5 Lens Hood 38773 B&H Photo Video
And a screw-on lens cap? Good grief.. No thanks.
01-29-2013, 05:21 AM   #7

This one works fine for me, and it's practically free...
Metal Lens Hood for Pentax Q Mount 01 47mm F1 9 Lens | eBay
A standard Pentax lens cap for 52mm diameter lenses (for example the kit lens) fits perfectly.

01-29-2013, 05:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I use a UV filter on my 02 zoom. A cheap Rocketfish from eBay. Doesn't seem to cause any IQ issues.

Edit: Oh yeah - I also use a hood. :-)

Last edited by GibbyTheMole; 01-29-2013 at 07:36 AM.
01-29-2013, 06:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

No UV filter since I find that doesn't do anything for the images I make, other than degrade them. On the contrary I do constantly have a polarizer on my 01 lens. And I also use a hood on top of that. Both the polarizer and the hood are Pentax genuine items. They may be more expensive, and I'm sure there are cheaper third party alternatives that are just as good, but I decided to support Pentax in this particular purchase... A moment of weakness?

Anyway, the polarizer and hood do not vignet on the Q, which was my principal concern. I find that I can keep the polarizer on the lens at all times without suffering too much from the approx 2 stop light loss such a filter results in. Main reason for this is the fact that I almost always shoot the Q+01 at f/2.8, which makes for generally fast shutter speeds. I must admit that I rarely fine tune the polarizer, for the simple reason that I use a viewfinder on the hotshoe and as such do not look at the LCD and do not see the full impact of the polarizer. For me it serves to increase contrast and saturation. When I really need it to work on reflections, I'll check the LCD (if there's not too much direct sun light so I can see clearly on the LCD).

I can see why the screw cap on the hood may deter you from purchasing it, but it's a beautifully crafted hood, the discretion of which really suits the compact and retro design of the Q. I generally take of the cap at the beginning of a walk, and leave it off. The hood and the polarizer offer more than enough protection IMHO.

hth, Wim
01-29-2013, 06:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
Is it worth getting the hood for the 01 prime? (Is there even one available?)
Professional Replacement Lens Hood MH RA40 5 for Pentax Q 8 5mm Lens Silver | eBay
01-29-2013, 06:44 AM   #11
Veteran Member

No filters on my 01 or any of my adapted lenses, but I do use hoods on the adapted tellies

Hans
01-29-2013, 07:01 AM   #12
Veteran Member

UV filter (depending on its quality) will actually degrade slightly the IQ of your photos on digital cameras.
Use a cheap hood for protection - is more useful.
01-29-2013, 07:58 AM   #13

I use UV filters. So do most of the photographers I travel with. I'm often shooting in dusty environments where I'm moving around a lot. The filter is cheap insurance. Any nominal degradation of IQ is worth it for the protection. A circular polarizer can dramatically improve the look of outdoor shots, and should be a part of any photographer's kit. UV is more of a judgment call.

When I'm shooting on a tripod or doing indoor work or portraiture, the filter comes off because IQ becomes paramount. Of course, in those cases I'm not really using my Q anyway.
01-29-2013, 08:39 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I also bought this hood for the 01 Prime and like it alot.

I also ordered this pinch cap to use with it so I will no longer have to screw on/off that little screw cap: 25mm Filter Thread Lens Plastic Center Pinch Lens Cap Black for Canon Nikon Sony | eBay. It should arrive today or tomorrow.
01-29-2013, 09:37 AM   #15
Veteran Member

It's an age-old argument. People are pretty passionate about the issue. Myself, I use UV or skylight filters on most of my lenses, (K, M, A, FA, DA and Q series). As to the Q and the 01 lens, if you use the OEM leather case, it will not accommodate a filter and either the hood or snap-on cap. You can have a filter, but no cap or hood ... or the cap or hood, but no filter.