Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2013, 06:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
electric or mechanical shutter?

When to use which? Have used cameras for decades but never had this choice. Any thoughts on this issue?

01-30-2013, 07:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think the way it works by default is that when you have the 01, 02, or 06 Q lens mounted, it's the mechanical shutter (which is built into the lens) through 1/2000, with the electronic shutter kicking in at higher speeds. When you use the genuine Pentax Q to PK adapter with the built in leaf shutter, top speed for the shutter is 1/1000 with higher speeds taken over by the electronic shutter. If you use any aftermarket Q to PK adapter, it's all electronic shutter.

The camera itself has no real mechanical shutter. The only attachments with the leaf shutter are the 01, 02, an 06 lenses and the genuine Pentax adapter. The toy lenses and everything else have no shutter, so you're stuck with the electronic shutter.

Mechanical shutter is always better. I'd leave the settings as they are by default so that whenever possible, the mechanical shutter is used automatically. You don't get the jello effect with the mechanical shutter, and flash sync speed is 1/250, vs. 1/13 with the electronic shutter.
01-30-2013, 07:44 AM   #3

It makes a difference with flash sync speed too. As I recall the electronic shutter syncs at 1/13 of a second.
01-30-2013, 07:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
To make sure I get this, In the custom function menu, 13. Electronic Shutter, I leave at 1 for disable. This keeps the mechanical shutter working except for high speeds. Correct?

01-30-2013, 09:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kivis Quote
To make sure I get this, In the custom function menu, 13. Electronic Shutter, I leave at 1 for disable. This keeps the mechanical shutter working except for high speeds. Correct?
I think you want it enabled, actually. If you disable the electronic shutter, I don't think it ever engages, which you want it to when you don't have the mechanical shutter option.

One way to test it is to leave it disabled & shoot a pic above 1/2000 with a Q lens. if it fires, you're ok with leaving it set to 1 (disabled).
01-30-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
I think you want it enabled, actually. If you disable the electronic shutter, I don't think it ever engages, which you want it to when you don't have the mechanical shutter option.

One way to test it is to leave it disabled & shoot a pic above 1/2000 with a Q lens. if it fires, you're ok with leaving it set to 1 (disabled).
Just tried. I set the ISO to 6400 and pointed the camera into the light. Only when I enable the electronic shutter will it allow the shutter speed to go beyond 1/2000. So now the question remains: By enabling the electronic shutter, is it on at all speeds?
01-30-2013, 02:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Just tried. I set the ISO to 6400 and pointed the camera into the light. Only when I enable the electronic shutter will it allow the shutter speed to go beyond 1/2000. So now the question remains: By enabling the electronic shutter, is it on at all speeds?
Nope. The electronic shutter is only enabled at speeds faster than 1/2000 with the 01, 02, or 06 lens or the genuine Pentax adapter OR all speeds when you any other lens or aftermarket adapter. Having it enabled is the way you wanna be. :-)

By the way - ISO setting shouldn't make a difference as far as the test goes if you set your camera to manual mode. You don't even really have to take a picture or take the lens cap off. Just see if anything above 1/2000 is an available option. If it is, you're good to go.

Last edited by GibbyTheMole; 01-30-2013 at 02:40 PM.
01-30-2013, 02:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Hi kivis,

You can hear the mechanical shutter, but the electronic shutter is silent. You can test this for yourself by just listening to the camera. Personally, I can't remember to use the ND filter, or disable it when I no longer need it, so I keep the electronic shutter enabled all the time. Sooner or later, I'll get used to this and use the ND

If the mechanical shutter fires, there is no jello effect because the sensor does a global reset of all the pixels before the exposure. If the electronic shutter is used, each row of pixels resets in sequence from top to bottom and this would allow the rolling shutter effect with enough camera or subject movement.

Scott

Last edited by snostorm; 01-30-2013 at 02:51 PM.
01-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
, and flash sync speed is 1/250, vs. 1/13 with the electronic shutter.
One slight correction -- 1/250 sync with external flash and leaf shuttered lenses -- with the popup, flash sync is only limited by the mechanical shutters' max speed, so 1/1000 with the Pentax OEM adapter, and 1/2000 with the 01, 02, and 06 leaf shuttered lenses.

Scott
01-30-2013, 03:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry pardon my ignorance. I wish to use mechanical shutter. On custom #13. do I disable (1.) or enable (2.)?
01-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
1/250 sync with external flash and leaf shuttered lenses -- with the popup, flash sync is only limited by the mechanical shutters' max speed, so 1/1000 with the Pentax OEM adapter, and 1/2000 with the 01, 02, and 06 leaf shuttered lenses.
Ah - right you are! :-)

I'm not sure, but if I remember correctly I think by default the camera makes a fake shutter sound even when using the electronic shutter, so you have to disable that sound to shut the thing up. Personally, I prefer all of the sounds disabled on mine.
01-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I wish to use mechanical shutter. On custom #13. do I disable (1.) or enable (2.)?
I took my Q & looked at it. You want "1. Disable. " I should have done that from the beginning. The electronic shutter will still fire outside of the range of the leaf shutter.
02-04-2013, 10:15 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry pardon my ignorance. I wish to use mechanical shutter. On custom #13. do I disable (1.) or enable (2.)?
Choose DISABLE if you will only be using an 01,02,06 lens and/or the Pentax original adapter.

Note that by doing this you will not be able to shoot at higher shutter speeds than the lens or adapter allow.

If you choose ENABLE the camera will use mechanical shutter always, except when the required/requested shutter speed is beyond the mechanical max, at which point the electronic shutter will kick in because you have allowed it.
02-05-2013, 06:08 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ugh crew1 say enable and others say disable. Yechs!! Help!
02-05-2013, 06:23 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ugh crew1 say enable and others say disable. Yechs!! Help!
It's not really that complicated, and it's also rare for it to matter.

With a lens without shutter it doesn't matter what you set, you will use the electronic shutter anyway.

With a lens with a shutter, you will always use that shutter if you use a time that the shutter is capable of performing. (1/2000 or longer for the native lenses, 1/1000 or longer for the Pentax K adapter.)

If you set it to disable and use a lens with a shutter, you will not be able to select a time that the shutter cannot do. If you set it to enable, you can, and will then (and only then) use the electronic shutter.

The selection is between being sure you use the lens shutter ("disable"), or being able to select shorter exposure times that risk the jello effect (but usually it's no problem).