Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-31-2013, 05:53 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Great shots of that Ringed Qingfisher, Larry -- I'd love to see one but would have to travel for the privilege. Pity about the powerlines but with these birds you get what you get!

01-31-2013, 09:21 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Ooh, triply jealous! A stunningly colorful species of Kingfisher, stupendous shots using the full DSLR rig (I assume), and you have an FA* 600! Have you tried it on the Q yet?
Not yet, the original Q adaptator is not available in France...
BTW it is the european kingfisher, it is the only kingfisher that lives here. Technically I had a hard time since this guy comes always at sunshine, I was obliged to shoot at 1/60 for the second shot in contra light...
01-31-2013, 11:17 AM   #18
Veteran Member

This is a great thread baro-nite! I've vented my frustrations numerous times over different threads in the past couple years - now I can post my story here and not feel too much like I am whining......

I have become obsessed with capturing our elusive Kingfishers - to the point on spending a lot of money on different long lenses and support systems. Then came the Q.......but at the time of year when I can't be out there shooting all day. I am geared up now and ready for this coming spring - I will get him - I will......

I do all my shooting at home here in the boonies. My property is situated along a small river with tons of wildlife both in and out of the water. My primary shooting position is from our pavilion which is located at the river bank side. This pic shows the proximity of the pavilion from my house:

As you can see, my house is also quite near the river. In the warmer months, I can hear those Qingfinsers down at the river chattering away all day. But of course, when I am at the pavilion, they stay on the opposite back of the river - just far enough to stay out of reach of my FA*300 for a good shot. Here are a couple shots to give you an idea of the distance from the pavilion to the opposite bank of the river:

So far, this is the best I've been able to get - showing the uncropped image from my FA*300 and a cropped version:

So now over this winter I have armed myself with a Q and adapter, and have been practicing shooting from inside with it. I really think my resulting 1650mm combination will do it.

An obsession now a Qobsession for that elusive Qingfisher! I look at this rig I've compiled just for that damn bird - I should have my head examined.....

Last edited by photolady95; 04-17-2016 at 02:34 AM.
01-31-2013, 11:40 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
An obsession now a Qobsession for that elusive Qingfisher! I look at this rig I've compiled just for that damn bird - I should have my head examined.....
I think you are ready, looking forward to the Qingfisher Qaptures. Not to start anything, but your Qontraption possibly could be assisted with a Red Dot.

How much can you get for one of those bears?

01-31-2013, 11:47 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
What a lovely setting you have there, Stan! And some good perches across the river. With the Q in hand I'd say your prospects are excellent!
01-31-2013, 02:35 PM   #21

These are some of the best bird photos I've seen on the forums! Thanks for the inspiration. I don't see Kingfishers around my area but I'll keep an eye out.
02-18-2013, 08:59 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A somewhat closer shot, of course when we disturbed him he was only about 60 feet away, but we never saw him until he flew off. Still, got a bit closer later in the walk...behind some foliage, but still not too bad.

02-19-2013, 07:48 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
behind some foliage, but still not too bad.
Good record shot at any rate. Is this with the 55-300?
02-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nice place Stan, good luck with the quest

Hans
02-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
Nice place Stan, good luck with the quest

Hans
Thanks Hans! Not only the Kingfishers, but as you can imagine, we have lost of other wildlife in and along the river. I am so looking forward to this upcoming warm season armed with the Q!
02-19-2013, 11:21 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Thanks Hans! Not only the Kingfishers, but as you can imagine, we have lost of other wildlife in and along the river. I am so looking forward to this upcoming warm season armed with the Q!
Stan,
Better pick up some Kingfisher beer to celebrate conQuering the Qingfisher.

02-19-2013, 11:30 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Stan,
Better pick up some Kingfisher beer to celebrate conQuering the Qingfisher.
Oh man, that is just awesome Bob - like I already don't think enough about these critters without their beer!
02-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is there a Kingfisher pop? That's more my speed
02-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Is there a Kingfisher pop? That's more my speed
Here ya go!

02-19-2013, 12:06 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Here ya go!
Awesome - where can I order some? I want to have it available to pop the cork when I finally bag a Qingfisher