Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2013, 02:46 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Caution regarding the varifocal 2.8-12mm c-mount lens from AliExpress

So... I just got this lens in the mail today:

High resolution varifocal 2.8-12mm 2 megapixel c-mount lens

It looked like a winner in this thread, and maybe optically, it is.

One of the first things I noticed was a film of clear grease around the front and rear metal rims of the lens. Against my better judgement, I popped it on the adapter & was focusing it when I noticed a big clear blob pop into focus in the frame. I freaked out & removed the lens immediately and luckily there is nothing on or around the sensor. (I since mounted the 02 zoom to confirm this & everything's hunky-dory.) However, there was grease that had seeped out onto the front element, and grease on the inside of the lens, between the elements. It was that grease inside that I was seeing.

Whoever shoehorned this thing together over-lubed the living Hell out of it.

I e-mailed the seller requesting a refund. (I'm not willing to risk another one possibly ruining the sensor with a blob of grease.) Hopefully, I can get my money back.

Just wanted to let you guys know in case you were thinking of picking this one up. I personally would avoid it like the plague.

Cheers,
Bob :-)

01-31-2013, 02:57 PM   #2

Thanks for the heads up. That sounds like a horror story I don't ever want to be in. A glob of grease showing up in the LCD - devastation. I was planning on getting a few CCTV lenses so I'll make sure to look for excess grease.
01-31-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarinatedHerring Quote
I was planning on getting a few CCTV lenses so I'll make sure to look for excess grease.
For what it's worth, this is the first time I've seen excessive grease on (and in) a lens, ever. I think the risk level is probably pretty low, except for maybe this model. It never hurts to check, tho.
01-31-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow, that is brutal!
02-01-2013, 03:55 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
For what it's worth, this is the first time I've seen excessive grease on (and in) a lens, ever. I think the risk level is probably pretty low, except for maybe this model. It never hurts to check, tho.
I have three CS mount lenses that had grease coming out the back. Easy enough to take them apart and wipe most of the grease off in this case. Your lens looks pretty hopeless though.

(On the left you see glue, on the right you see grease.)
02-01-2013, 06:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You wouldn't believe the exchange I had with the seller. I asked her repeatedly for the address to send it back for a refund and only after about a dozen times did she finally give part of the address to me. I had to badger her repeatedly for the rest. Then she said "Ok. I send lens back to you then". and I said NO. I DO NOT want a replacement lens or the same lens returned to me. I want my money returned to my credit card. Then she said: Ok. I understand. I be more careful when I send back you clean lens. And I'm like: "NO... You DO NOT UNDERSTAND... and it went on like this over and over until she finally agreed to refund my money. I'm skeptical she will, though.

The arrows and text were for the benefit of the seller. I took the photos to show her how extreme the grease was, and also for a record in case I have to open a dispute.

Never again will I buy from this imbecile.

I'll probably confine my future C-mount lenses to higher quality Japanese TV lenses from reputable manufacturers. I have a Fujian 35 / 1.7 on the way. Hope there are no liquids dribbling out of it.
03-25-2013, 02:54 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
You wouldn't believe the exchange I had with the seller. I asked her repeatedly for the address to send it back for a refund and only after about a dozen times did she finally give part of the address to me. I had to badger her repeatedly for the rest. Then she said "Ok. I send lens back to you then". and I said NO. I DO NOT want a replacement lens or the same lens returned to me. I want my money returned to my credit card. Then she said: Ok. I understand. I be more careful when I send back you clean lens. And I'm like: "NO... You DO NOT UNDERSTAND... and it went on like this over and over until she finally agreed to refund my money. I'm skeptical she will, though.

The arrows and text were for the benefit of the seller. I took the photos to show her how extreme the grease was, and also for a record in case I have to open a dispute.

Never again will I buy from this imbecile.

I'll probably confine my future C-mount lenses to higher quality Japanese TV lenses from reputable manufacturers. I have a Fujian 35 / 1.7 on the way. Hope there are no liquids dribbling out of it.
I'm really sorry!!! for putting you in this mess... Had I seen this, I wouldn't buy the lens either.
So probably the quality control isn't really there.
But I think you'll have a good chance to get a refund through AliExpress with these pictures as proof.
Problem is - it'll take time...

Again: I'm sorry!

Erik

PS. The common 25 mm is also full of grease....

Last edited by Erich_H; 03-25-2013 at 03:35 AM.
03-25-2013, 05:31 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Erich_H Quote
I'm really sorry!!! for putting you in this mess..
Hey, man... It's totally not your fault at all... Don't worry about it... They did eventually refund my money, it was just a PITA trying to get anything done. But don't worry about it. You did nothing wrong & I truly appreciate your help. I'll probably have to pick your brain about something else in the future. :-)

BTW, The Fujian's a great little lens.
03-26-2013, 06:09 AM   #10

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks - I'll be able to sleep tonite then.
Brain picking welcome - as long as it's not by ice pick...
Erik