Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
remote

anyone using a cheap wireless remote
Amazon.com: IR Wireless Remote Control for PENTAX Q, PENTAX DSLR (645D, K-m, K-r, K-x, K-01, K-5, K-7, K10D, K20D, K100D, K110D, K200D, K2000) *ist (D, DL, DL2, DS, DS2) + Premium MagicFiber Microfiber Cleaning Cloth: Camera & Photo

02-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I have 3 of that model (although I paid less for the last one But $7 out the door is a good price). They work like a charm.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/llc-rm-e7-remote-control.html
02-05-2013, 05:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I use this one. $3.29 each with free shipping. Works ok. Range sucks on the Q, (about 3 feet) but no more than my genuine Pentax remote F.
02-05-2013, 07:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have the Pentax F, and the one that Doc links to above. The one of Doc's does work better than the Pentax, plus it is much easier for me to use as I had a hard time pushing the button with my fat arthritic fingers with the F. With either one however, I still find the rear remote receptor still lacking compared to the front. I still have to be lined up fairly well with the receptor even though the distance is improved with the 3rd party remote. I'm still looking for a better solution since I always use the remote when shooting with the adapter and long lenses. I really wish for a wired remote - I still can't get the c Q to fire every time with either infrared remote from the rear of the camera.

02-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I really wish for a wired remote
I do too! One thing I like to do on occasion is stick the camera & a wide angle lens on a monopod and jack it way up in the air to get a higher vantage point. As it is now, I have to use the self timer & either hold it up there longer than I need to, (12 sec.) or only have 2 seconds to get it aimed before the shutter goes off. A wired remote would be much better for this purpose.
02-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
I do too! One thing I like to do on occasion is stick the camera & a wide angle lens on a monopod and jack it way up in the air to get a higher vantage point. As it is now, I have to use the self timer & either hold it up there longer than I need to, (12 sec.) or only have 2 seconds to get it aimed before the shutter goes off. A wired remote would be much better for this purpose.
Have you seen this modification for the cheap IR remotes? I made mine with a 2.5mm jack socket then the cheap 3rd party cable remotes work too as well as my RF-602 radio remote and flash sync. (range about a 100Mts)

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/do-yourself/186110-make-wired-release-any...ir-camera.html

The cheap IR remotes shown work a treat and have a range of around 10Mts out in the open, more when used indoors, cost around 3.45 here in the UK

Chris
02-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJ Quote
Have you seen this modification for the cheap IR remotes? I made mine with a 2.5mm jack socket then the cheap 3rd party cable remotes work too as well as my RF-602 radio remote and flash sync. (range about a 100Mts)

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/do-yourself/186110-make-wired-release-any...ir-camera.html

The cheap IR remotes shown work a treat and have a range of around 10Mts out in the open, more when used indoors, cost around 3.45 here in the UK

Chris
Very interesting - thanks for sharing this Chris.

Since I now have a second Q body dedicated to using the adapter and long lenses only, I'm not worried about doing a mod like this to one of them. As a matter of fact I like the idea of using the wireless triggers also. Going to have to do some more studying on this.
02-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Any of you that have been in the RC hobby probably have all the necessary stuff to take advantage of this device for super long range remote triggering.
Universal PTZ Camera Remote Shutter Releases for FPV Nikon Canon Pentax Sony | eBay

02-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJ Quote

Make a wired release for any Pentax IR camera

Cool! I may rig one of those up. Thanks for the tip!
02-06-2013, 07:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Any of you that have been in the RC hobby probably have all the necessary stuff to take advantage of this device for super long range remote triggering.
Universal PTZ Camera Remote Shutter Releases for FPV Nikon Canon Pentax Sony | eBay
This is interesting, pity it's Chinese New Year at the moment, China basically closes down until the 17th of February.

Chris
02-21-2013, 03:11 PM   #11

PTZ remote shutter release

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I'm not an RC hobbyist, but that PTC long-range shutter release looks VERY promising. Is there any how-to guide that explains how to set it up? What other components must I procure, and how to connect them? Assume no knowledge whatsoever of basic RC setups (which is, in fact, the case).

02-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

These are designed to plug into an RC receiver. The system then requires a transmitter, receiver and battery in addition to the camera.
Depending on which channel on the receiver you plug this thing into you will then use one of the switches or knobs on the transmitter to activate it.
I expect this was designed to be able to take pictures from an RC airplane or perhaps for Kite Aerial Photography where camera is far away from the transmitter.
Something like this would probably work.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAEXR&P=0
The IR shutter could probably be driven by momentary movement of one of the joysticks.
In an airplane application you would want to use an extra channel that is not controlling flight functions.
For Kite photography I've seen folks actually take the transmitter apart and wire in a momentary push button box to keep it simple.

Actually now that I look at the manual for that unit, you will probably use channel 5 which looks like a momentary switch for gear or engine cut off.
http://www.hitecrcd.com/files/OPTIC%205%20MANUAL_P.pdf