Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

So you see it in photos and videos and you think it is small, but you have no idea until you hold it. Fantastically overbuilt. I obviously haven't taken any serious photos with it yet, but I see a lot of criticism of the Q with people calling it a 'toy'. Even if it was a toy, which it isn't per the photos in the forum, what a cool toy! Can't wait to use it!

The only criticisms I have are that I don't like the corded chargers Pentax uses and the body cap... At least this one is better looking than the Pringles can cap that came with my K-5, but the Q's won't stay on. I will have to get that sorted quickly. Those are niggles though.

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
No need for you to leave work. I'll swing by for you and check it out........

Enjoy your new Q.
The way things are going around here I probably would have preferred you 'rescued' it! All is well though, and thanks!

02-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bullitt_60 Quote
So you see it in photos and videos and you think it is small, but you have no idea until you hold it. Fantastically overbuilt.
It really is something when you first take it out of the box, isn't it? Actually hard to put into words for me, but in a good way!
02-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #78

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
It really is something when you first take it out of the box, isn't it? Actually hard to put into words for me, but in a good way!
Well, bad timing. Sold out. I'll keep watching.
02-06-2013, 11:01 PM - 1 Like   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only criticisms I have are that I don't like the corded chargers Pentax uses and the body cap... At least this one is better looking than the Pringles can cap that came with my K-5, but the Q's won't stay on. I will have to get that sorted quickly. Those are niggles though.
New Qser starter kit:
Professional Body Cap Rear Lens Cap for Pentax Q Mount 8 5mm New Cover | eBay
Lens Hood Shade Fits Pentax Q SMC 5 15mm F2 8 4 5 02 Standard Zoom Ph SBA 40 5mm | eBay
http://www.amazon.com/Extended-Replacement-Batteries-Protectors-MicroFiber/dp/B0077E72OO/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1360217059&sr=1-2&keywords=pentax+Q+batteries
Amazon.com: Fotodiox 11LA-PK-PK-Q-new Lens Mount Adapter with Aperture Dial, Pentax K/PK Lens to Pentax Q-Series Camera Fits Pentax Q Mirrorless Cameras: Camera & Photo
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/753276-REG/Pentax_80227_Two_Year_Exten...ranty_for.html

If you have the 01 lens you can get this hood http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-Lens-Hood-Lens-Cap-Replace-for-Pentax-MH-RA40-...item4d0880e0eb

Last edited by crewl1; 02-07-2013 at 09:23 AM.
02-07-2013, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #80
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The only criticisms I have are that I don't like the corded chargers Pentax uses and the body cap... At least this one is better looking than the Pringles can cap that came with my K-5, but the Q's won't stay on. I will have to get that sorted quickly.
I bought this body and lens cap. I don't know if it's the same as the one crewl1 linked (mine didn't say JJC on the packaging), but mine at least sits very securely (can't be removed without pressing the lens release button) and works well as a base for adapting lenses too. (I've bought six of them so far.)
02-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #81
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
and works well as a base for adapting lenses too.
What kind of lens adapting have you done with the rear caps? Any luck doing a CS mount with one, by chance? I'm intrigued...
02-07-2013, 08:05 AM   #82
Veteran Member

Thanks guys! I just ordered me a new body cap and my Fotodiox adapter should arrive today.

02-07-2013, 08:10 AM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
What kind of lens adapting have you done with the rear caps? Any luck doing a CS mount with one, by chance? I'm intrigued...
I've adapted several CS lenses. The 4mm f/1.2 worked out well, I have a set on flickr with some shots.

I also tried to adapt a fairly large CS zoom, but that didn't go so well. CS mount lenses are not particularly careful about their registration distance, and setting it against the cap left it too far from the sensor. The 4mm on the other hand can be focused far beyond infinity with the same mounting. There are 6mm and 16mm lenses in the same series as the 4mm, you can even just glue one back piece and exchange the front piece to switch lenses.

I've also tried a "board mount" (12mm screw mount) lens, but since it doesn't have any way to focus except to screw it out of the mount I tried to make a hole for screwing it in instead of gluing it, and didn't get it straight enough. I'll try it again I think.
02-07-2013, 08:59 AM   #84
Veteran Member

Just put in an order for the JJC caps, $4.99 at Amazon.
Third party seller, but no shipping charge.
02-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #85

Larry,

Is this a bayonet or filter mount? I can't tell from the pictures on e-bay.
02-07-2013, 09:17 AM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by post_eos Quote
Larry,

Is this a bayonet or filter mount? I can't tell from the pictures on e-bay.
Bayonet mount, you can store it in reverse just like the big ones. Thinner plastic but it is sturdy enough
02-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #87
Forum Member

Sold out! 2/7/13
02-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #88

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Bayonet mount, you can store it in reverse just like the big ones. Thinner plastic but it is sturdy enough
Thanks, just bought one. Very helpful list btw.
02-07-2013, 11:33 AM   #89
Pentaxian

Received my Q from NewEgg just a few minutes ago. Now to charge the battery and play with it.
02-07-2013, 12:14 PM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GvilleRick Quote
Received my Q from NewEgg just a few minutes ago. Now to charge the battery and play with it.
Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.......