Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Opteka "Ninja" fisheye on the Q

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hey all.

Got my Opteka "Ninja" fisheye today like this one:

Tried it with a step down ring & my 02 zoom & the camera will not achieve focus, even manually, with the fisheye attached. I'm surprised by this, as I've played around with several other fisheye attachments on different cameras & camcorders before & never had a focusing issue. Some of them sucked, but they all focused.

On the 02 zoom, it's like the lens can't focus close enough to achieve focus with the fisheye. Weird.

So... unless someone knows a trick, I'm sending it back. Just wanted to post this in case someone else thought of trying it. Too bad... I was hoping it would be a cost-efficient, convenient solution, and it's tiny, to boot.

02-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Many lenses focus by moving the front group, and from this I think it's likely that you can change focus by moving your fisheye attachment. Try it just holding it in front of the lens, and if moving it away works, add more step rings.
02-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is also possible you have the opposite problem. The FE may be too far away with the step down ring in the mix. Take the adapter off and tape the FE on the zoom. Hopefully this or drougge's idea will work. Do you have a 01 to try it on?
thanks
barondla
02-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Hey all.

So... unless someone knows a trick, I'm sending it back. Just wanted to post this in case someone else thought of trying it. Too bad... I was hoping it would be a cost-efficient, convenient solution, and it's tiny, to boot.
I have the same problem with a Raynox 0.5x adapter.
The trick is to put an extra +10 close up filter between the lens and your wide angle adapter.

02-06-2013, 09:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Do you have a 01 to try it on?
Nope. Just the 02 zoom.

QuoteOriginally posted by MegaPower Quote
The trick is to put an extra +10 close up filter between the lens and your wide angle adapter.
I actually did think of this idea in the beginning, but IMO it would compromise the IQ too much on what would probably already be a mediocre setup.

I sent the thing back. It would've been nice to have it work, but I just didn't feel like screwing with it to get likely subpar results. Especially after getting a literally grease-dripping mess of a C-mount fisheye zoom. Plus, I had a limited window to get a refund

I would much prefer something cheaper than $125 for the 03 fisheye if I could get away with it. My wife has a pretty good Ambico screw-on adapter for her DSLRs, so I know an adapter can work reasonably well, but I haven't found anything good for the Q. .

So... is there a decent C-mount fisheye solution, or should I just bite the big one & buy the 03 fisheye?
02-06-2013, 11:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Nope. Just the 02 zoom.

I actually did think of this idea in the beginning, but IMO it would compromise the IQ too much on what would probably already be a mediocre setup.

I sent the thing back. It would've been nice to have it work, but I just didn't feel like screwing with it to get likely subpar results. Especially after getting a literally grease-dripping mess of a C-mount fisheye zoom. Plus, I had a limited window to get a refund

I would much prefer something cheaper than $125 for the 03 fisheye if I could get away with it. My wife has a pretty good Ambico screw-on adapter for her DSLRs, so I know an adapter can work reasonably well, but I haven't found anything good for the Q. .

So... is there a decent C-mount fisheye solution, or should I just bite the big one & buy the 03 fisheye?
The widest I found for C mount:
4mm Monofocal Fixed Iris C Mount CCTV Lens MF Fi 4 C | eBay

I did not bit the bullet yet.
I am trying some webcam lens for now.
If you want fisheye, I think the 03 is pretty good in price and quality.