Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2013, 08:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Indoor sports & the Q?

I may have an occasion to shoot some basketball in the near future, and I'm considering my options:

1) Pentax K-x & DA-L 55-300 (f:5.8 at the long end)

Pros:
Excellent high ISO performance
Potentially better IQ than the Q (I say "potentially", because if the lighting is too dim to work with the 55-300, I'll have to jack the ISO way up into the stratosphere.)

Cons:
Slow lens
55-300 hunts in dim light. Probably would use manual focus.

2) Pentax Q and Pentax A 35-105 (f:3.5 constant) with Fotodiox adapter

Pros:
Roughly 200-600mm equivalent focal length on the Q
Faster than the 55-300

Cons:
Possible jello

3) Pentax Q and Pentax 50 / 1.4 with Fotodiox adapter

Pros:
Fast
Small

Cons:
280mm fixed focal length equivalent on the Q. Might not get me close enough.
Possibly not enough depth of field at f:1.4 on the Q.
IQ could suffer at f:1.4 on the Q

This isn't a paid thing, but I would like the shots to be as good as possible.

Thoughts, gang?

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)

02-09-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote

Cons:
Possible jello

After shooting the dog races I can give you one hint, don't pan with the Q and a shutterless adapter. Any camera motion will cause jello at slower shutter speeds. Even at 1/1600 sec. I got massive jello while panning with the race. You would have to hold the camera steady maybe on the hoop and wait for the action to come to you and that is no way to shoot sports. I would go with the Kx or bring both and try the Q for some shots. I plan to bring my Q to a baseball game later in Feb. but you know where the action will be and can hold the camera at home, on the mound or first base.

Hans
02-09-2013, 08:58 AM   #3

I frequently shoot basketball and will be doing so later in the day. I would strongly recommend using the KX with your prime lens. The pictures will be much better and the optical viewfinder is a real advantage. I use my 40, 50, and 70 most of the time. I have the 55-300 and is great outdoors but very limited indoors.

I shoot in Manual mode at ISO 1600-3200 depending on the gym. I use 1/320 shutter speed and an aperture from 2.8 to 4. I used a KX years ago and it worked well. Variable aperture lenses generally perform poorly wide open and are difficult indoors. I also have a K01 and like the Q does not have an optical viewfinder which makes framing sports a challenge. Your KX will have better high ISO performance and allow the shutter speeds you need indoors. I recommend using spot AF and high speed continuous shooting.

I like shooting some shots at floor level and others from up in the stands. Good luck, I hope this is helpful.
02-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I think the answer is clearly your K-x, but can you bring along the Q + 50mm too for a laugh?

02-09-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bullitt_60 Quote
I think the answer is clearly your K-x, but can you bring along the Q + 50mm too for a laugh?
Too bad I blew away the jellQ shots from the dog race they were good for a laugh.

Hans
02-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the help, guys!

I'll probably pack both. I'll mainly shoot with the K-x & 55-300 and shoot RAW so I can get the high ISO noise level down in post. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna need a tele focal length from where I'll be positioned, so I don't think a 50 on the K-x will be long enough.

I'll also take Q and the 50 & 35-105 and try some "pan-less" shots & see what happens.

Cheers,
Bob :-)
02-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would say the K-x simply because of the shutter lag on the Q.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-09-2013, 10:48 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As much as I love the Q, I would use the K cam for most sports shots. There is one time the Q is better. Some pro stadiums, in our area, are limiting the camera size to 3" total. Without great sneakyness you won't get a dslr in. Terrible rule.
thanks
barondla

If you aren't a machine gunner, a great way to reduce noise was blogged by Ctein. He used camera on jpeg+Raw. Jpegs got in camera noise reduction. He ran Raws thru differnt brand NR. Then merged the two images. The grain tends to cancel more with this method.
02-10-2013, 06:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
If you aren't a machine gunner, a great way to reduce noise was blogged by Ctein. He used camera on jpeg+Raw. Jpegs got in camera noise reduction. He ran Raws thru differnt brand NR. Then merged the two images. The grain tends to cancel more with this method.
Brilliant idea! I wouldn't have thought of that. :-)
02-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Did someone say jello?

I agree with others that the K-x will be a better choice. But I'd suggest mounting the Q to the K-x's hot shoe and shoot a time-lapse movie while using the K-x! That might look cool!