Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2013, 12:58 AM   #1

Super long exposures with q

Hello,

I noticed that the minimum shutter speed for the Q was 32 seconds. Is there a way around this? I am interested in 20+ minute exposures and just received my q and found out it doesn't appear possible. Also in bulb mode you cannot use a remote to open then close the shutter.

Any help?

Thank you,
Jack

02-10-2013, 05:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can use interval shooting and combine the images. This is inconvenient, but I've done it a bit with adapted lenses (where the maximum time per shot is 2 seconds). Of course, this only works if gaps in the exposure are no problem.

If you want JPEG you can even get the camera to combine them (multiple exposure mode), but I want RAW.

There are doubt a lot of programs you can use for this, but the ones I found all seem to want JPEGs, which means I get to develop them first and then combine them. I wanted to combine the RAWs and then develop them as if it really had been a longer exposure, so I wrote my own. dngcombine isn't particularly general, but it does work on the files produced by the Q. If you are not a command line person it might not be for you though.

If you really want it, you could disassemble your Q and put a locking switch on the shutter release contacts. (Assuming bulb will go that long, I've never tried it.)
02-10-2013, 05:29 AM   #3

This is where the K-01 does well. Multiple exposures with RAW output and Bulb mode with the ability to turn off NR at will. Hour long exposures are no problem and multiple exposures a breeze with up to 9 images to stack internally at any exposure, including Bulb. The K-01 is the most cost effective Pentax camera for long exposure work.
02-10-2013, 06:58 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nightfly Quote
The K-01 is the most cost effective Pentax camera for long exposure work.
We should have heard that - from Pentax - a year ago.

02-10-2013, 07:25 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Agreed. Pentax needs to strut their stuff. They should not depend on us to waive the flag.
02-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is where the K-01 does well. Multiple exposures with RAW output and Bulb mode with the ability to turn off NR at will. Hour long exposures are no problem and multiple exposures a breeze with up to 9 images to stack internally at any exposure, including Bulb. The K-01 is the most cost effective Pentax camera for long exposure work.
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Agreed. Pentax needs to strut their stuff. They should not depend on us to waive the flag.
QuoteQuote:
The K-01 will be available in yellow, black and white in March 2012 for $749.95USD (body only) and $899.95USD (lens kit including new DA 40mm XS) in Marc Newson designed packaging and with the Marc Newson designed strap. The smc PENTAX-DA 40mm F2.8 XS unifocal interchangeable standard lens will ship at the same time for $249.95 USD.
With the price decrease it has become an outstanding bargain. The introductory price was a bit too much....