Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2013, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Manual Focus with the 01 Prime lens.

For me auto-focus is too much hit and miss, especially in low light or low contrast scenes. (maybe I am doing something wrong, let me know). So I set to MF and focus-peaking and focus-assist. Could not be happier. I am able to get a sharp focus every time. Since I used film a lot I am used to the "method" of MF. The focus-peaking and focus-assist work really well. Of course having distance scales on the focus ring would be nice but really it is not a hindrance. I leave the Auto ISO on 125-400, with IS and I get a steady shot even down to 1/8 second speed.I keep the mode on aperture preferred and the front dial is always ready for experimenting with color. I especially like the tone expansion setting and bold monochrome for my artistic expressions. Some day I hope to become Q qualified but in the meantime I am having a Q ball!

02-11-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Q: how do you enable focus peaking on the Q? I was given to understand that it was not available there....Can it be made work with the non-AF lenses?
02-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

FP is in Focus settings.
You need the latest firmware as far as I know.. (1.10)
02-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Have you figured out if there's a way to set focus to infinity and leave it set there??

02-11-2013, 07:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
[quote=tclausen;2274608]Q: how do you enable focus peaking on the Q? I was given to understand that it was not available there....Can it be made work with the non-AF lenses?

02-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
Q: how do you enable focus peaking on the Q? I was given to understand that it was not available there....Can it be made work with the non-AF lenses?

You can turn it on and off via the menu, go to the Focus settings options where you can also configure the focus assist magnification ratio.
For adapted lenses and 'Toy' lenses you need to press the OK button to turn on the focus assist.
Peaking will either be always on or always off depending on your choice.
As Kivis stated you have to update the firmware to get focus peaking.
02-12-2013, 05:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
You can turn it on and off via the menu, go to the Focus settings options where you can also configure the focus assist magnification ratio.
For adapted lenses and 'Toy' lenses you need to press the OK button to turn on the focus assist.
Peaking will either be always on or always off depending on your choice.
As Kivis stated you have to update the firmware to get focus peaking.
Hmm, thanks. Knew of the Ok button for non-AF lenses, but never saw the peaking in the menu. I am not sure what firmware I currently have installed - will work all that out tomorrow, now I know what to look for and where.

Tnx a bunch!

02-13-2013, 12:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Pressing the 'OK' button to zoom when using MF and with FP turned on also helps a hell of a lot. (I'm finding the K-01 even better using this method too!)
02-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
Hmm, thanks. Knew of the Ok button for non-AF lenses, but never saw the peaking in the menu. I am not sure what firmware I currently have installed - will work all that out tomorrow, now I know what to look for and where.

Tnx a bunch!

Aaaaaaand realized that I had firmware 1.01 or smelting on the Q. Upgraded to 1.10 and peaking appeared. Thanks - now, to get used to using it