Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2013, 01:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Good Deals on Q Lenses

I haven't heard of this website but based on Google searches I couldn't find any negative reviews on them. THey have 30% off alot of Pentax gear.

They have the Pentax 03 Fisheye for $80 shipped. I decided to gamble and get it.

Here is the link: pentax | Bootic, online shopping, where facts matter

If it works out, I will have acquired the Pentax Q (black), 01 prime, 02 zoom, and 03 fisheye for a combined $360.

02-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As much as I would like to add the fisheye lens to my collection, I hesitate. I hope the best for you - please let us know if you get it or what you get.
02-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
As much as I would like to add the fisheye lens to my collection, I hesitate. I hope the best for you - please let us know if you get it or what you get.
I'll definitely let you know. I figure its an $80 risk. Notice how I didn't order a DA 17-70mm.

Others should also shop at their own risk. I will update with my experiences.

For what its worth...at least its not a couple of high school kids in their basement : http://www.prweb.com/releases/Bootic/ecommerce/prweb9615084.htm
02-14-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveInPA Quote
For what its worth...at least its not a couple of high school kids in their basement : Bootic, Inc. Launches Free Online Storefront, Giving US Entrepreneurs a Gateway Into 200 Billion Dollar eCommerce Market
Well... they just might be. Just because there's a press release on prweb doesn't mean a thing. Anyone can release a press release on prweb saying anything they want. By the way, that address they have for their headquarters in that press release is a lawyer's office.

SNR Denton - Locations - Silicon Valley

It's not uncommon to use your lawyer's address as a contact address. Less usual to claim it's your HQ. Which leads me to believe they have no other physical location to use as an address for their HQ.

02-14-2013, 05:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Surely, with things like this in their TOS, they must be some kind of quality people:

QuoteQuote:
Ideally we'd like to settle all disputes with a lightsaber duel on the forest moon of Endor.
02-14-2013, 06:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Their website also says they ship in 2 days. That gives them a 48-hour head start for the border.

I'm usually extremely conservative in who I shop with, which is why I only risked $80. Hopefully, I won't get burned.
02-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lenshoarder Quote
Well... they just might be. Just because there's a press release on prweb doesn't mean a thing. Anyone can release a press release on prweb saying anything they want. By the way, that address they have for their headquarters in that press release is a lawyer's office.

SNR Denton - Locations - Silicon Valley

It's not uncommon to use your lawyer's address as a contact address. Less usual to claim it's your HQ. Which leads me to believe they have no other physical location to use as an address for their HQ.
Here's a snip for the whois for bootic.com -

---------------------------------------------------------------------

owner-c:
nic-hdl: ST3086-GANDI
owner-name: TheBootic tm
organisation: TheBootic tm
person: Stephane Tougard
address: 1530 Page Mill RD Suite 230
zipcode: 94303
city: Palo Alto
state: California
phone: +1.12345678
fax: ''
email: 969739e16cefae18fef7aba49f923381-131...tact.gandi.net
lastupdated: 2013-02-14 09:28:55

02-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #8

The whois database info is pretty useless; gandi.net is a domain name registrar based in France. The contact name is someone from their organization, and the contact's E-mail is an alias. Phone number is clearly bogus.

I used gandi.net myself in the past. Costs 12€/year to register a domain.

So, nothing illegal, but not as transparent as it should be for a legit e-commerce business. Could be a couple of high school kids.

For me, I would rather be safe and pay more at B&H or Adorama.
02-14-2013, 07:55 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Here's a snip for the whois for bootic.com -

---------------------------------------------------------------------

owner-c:
nic-hdl: ST3086-GANDI
owner-name: TheBootic tm
organisation: TheBootic tm
person: Stephane Tougard
address: 1530 Page Mill RD Suite 230
zipcode: 94303
city: Palo Alto
state: California
phone: +1.12345678
fax: ''
email: 969739e16cefae18fef7aba49f923381-131...tact.gandi.net
lastupdated: 2013-02-14 09:28:55
Whois is pretty much useless. The net powers that be don't do anything to verify any of the information. Someone with a domain can literally type in anything they want. That phone number is definitely bogus. Why would they need to use an email like that since they have their own domain? Personally, that obviously bogus Whois entry is enough to steer me away from these people. They can't be a serious business. They aren't even good scammers since all they had to do was pay $10 or so for whois privacy and thus at least look legitimate.
02-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Using PingPlotter, it looks like that they are hosted on AmazonAWS

02-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Looks like a brand new company ..

Bootic.com - Website Analysis - RankW

Bootic.com Site Info

Bootic.com LinkedIn: Bootic Inc. | LinkedIn

.. and the President : Eric Barbier | LinkedIn
02-14-2013, 09:24 PM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveInPA Quote
Their website also says they ship in 2 days. That gives them a 48-hour head start for the border.

I'm usually extremely conservative in who I shop with, which is why I only risked $80. Hopefully, I won't get burned.

The PRweb page says they are a stroefront , where others can sell things, and not a real store. Does your order say who the real seller is?
02-14-2013, 09:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by djseeram Quote
The PRweb page says they are a stroefront , where others can sell things, and not a real store. Does your order say who the real seller is?
It actually doesn't. In the Pentax Price Watch forum, a poster interacted with a sales rep who said it was Pentax. The order details seem to indicate that it is Pentax (just saying the "store owner" is Pentax @ bootic.

My Google searches indicated it was a startup from a few years ago that is based in an office for venture capitalists (or possibly lawyers based on another posters searches).

Either way, i will be able to report on the outcome in a week.

Dave
02-15-2013, 06:40 AM   #14

I bought one from them too. We'll see what happens!
02-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I have a 02 Standard Zoom for sale in the classifieds - $159.