Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Q OEM vs Fotodiox adapter opinions

Hoping a member has, or at least has used, the Fotodiox adapter before getting a Pentax brand adapter.
Is the Pentax high dollar one really worth it performance wise?

I'm still trying to justify getting one for my $200 Q.

02-17-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have not tried the third-party converters but the Pentax K for Q Adapter is a BEAST. Totally and completely over-engineered to last literally forever. Of course, it has its own electronic shutter which will prevent rolling shutter and allows faster flash. That is I believe unique to the Pentax Adapter. Only you can know performance wise if that will justify the price difference.

For long or heavy lenses it does require the addition of the $46 Tripod Foot from the DA*300, which you can order from Pentax Parts, so all-in the cost is around $300 incl. shipping. That's pretty steep comparatively, though purely from the standpoint of quality you do get what you pay for.

You've probably read all of these, but just in case:

Pentax Forums Review

Using the Adapter

What Q accessories are worth it

Tripod Adapter Foot
02-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I've been hesitating for quite some time. For me, like you, trying to justify a $250 adapter for a $90 camera. I think I know most of the pros and cons. The one thing that keeps me thinking of getting the Pentax adapter is just the fact of the build quality. I just don't like the feeling of attaching a $1k lens to the $30 adapter. Is it just going to fall apart some day? Also now that I have my M 150 lens, I would really benefit with the tripod mount on the Pentax adapter.
02-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I have not tried the third-party converters but the Pentax K for Q Adapter is a BEAST. Totally and completely over-engineered to last literally forever. Of course, it has its own electronic shutter which will prevent rolling shutter and allows faster flash. That is I believe unique to the Pentax Adapter. Only you can know performance wise if that will justify the price difference.

For long or heavy lenses it does require the addition of the $46 Tripod Foot from the DA*300, which you can order from Pentax Parts, so all-in the cost is around $300 incl. shipping. That's pretty steep comparatively, though purely from the standpoint of quality you do get what you pay for.

You've probably read all of these, but just in case:

Pentax Forums Review

Using the Adapter

What Q accessories are worth it

Tripod Adapter Foot
Ah, I thought I had read all the pertaining threads, but missed the reviews.
crewl1 stated:
"Direct comparison of similar scenes between the Pentax adapter and a Fotodiox version yielded similar results."
So I think I'll hold out for now.

Thanks for the comments and links!

02-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Ah, I thought I had read all the pertaining threads, but missed the reviews.
crewl1 stated:
"Direct comparison of similar scenes between the Pentax adapter and a Fotodiox version yielded similar results."
So I think I'll hold out for now.

Thanks for the comments and links!
I've come to the same conclusion after reading the same. If I were to use flash or hand hold a lot, I would have gone for it already. I use my tripods 99% of the time, so I should not see much of the jello effect myself. But, now that I have my M 150, it is so comfortable to hand told with my Carryspeed viewfinder, I will have to see if I get into any moving shots - which I might with my many ducks on the river in the warmer months.
02-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Just to be clear about the Fotodiox, the construction is at an extremely high level. It would in no way seem cheap or do harm to a lens. The high-end finish, unfortunately, is both outside and internal - and reason for painting the inside dull to reduce glare. The aperture stop down function is six clicks, and I would be happier if it had twice that. Not much of an issue for me, as I own only one lens lacking a physical aperture. (You would always want to use the lens aperture when one is available.) Of course, hand held and with a flash you have a big advantage with the OEM. If you eventually end up with both, I would argue that the Fotodiox is an advantage on a tripod as you have one less moving part (no adapter shutter) that can add vibration to extreme telephoto shots.
02-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The Pentax adapter really is quite a bit better. Our in-depth review is ready and should be published next week, so stay tuned for that!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
I would argue that the Fotodiox is an advantage on a tripod as you have one less moving part (no adapter shutter) that can add vibration to extreme telephoto shots.
I hope you are not using the tripod mount on the Fotodiox adapter.........

02-17-2013, 12:04 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Hoping a member has, or at least has used, the Fotodiox adapter before getting a Pentax brand adapter.
Is the Pentax high dollar one really worth it performance wise?

I'm still trying to justify getting one for my $200 Q.
I did buy and returned the Fotodiox K to Q adapter. Like the Fotodiox K to Leica M adapter, I needed to return it because it would focus "past" infinity.

The Pentax K to Q adapter is exactly on with lens registration and focus at infinity was perfect. It is the best of all K to Q adapters with an aperture control ring, a mechanical shutter, and can accept a tripod mounting foot.

Of the Chinese manufactured adapters, I found Kipon to have very good tolerances and proper infinity focus.

I have tried Cosina/Voigtlander manufactured adapters and they have been also spot on with focus.

The Rayqual OM to Leica M adapters and Pentax 110 to Q adapters I have also have accurate infinity focus.

Even though I have not had an opportunity to use one, by reputation, Novoflex adapers have superb quality.

In general, for the Q, I would rate adapter manufactures as follows: (based upon accurate lens registration, focus at infinity, and quality of construction)

1) Pentax
2) Novoflex
3) Rayqual
4 Kipon
5) ... others

For the Leica M mount (used on the GXR):

1) Novoflex
2) Voigtlander
3) Rayqual
4) Kipon
5) ... others

I would love to see a Pentax KAF module for the GXR.

For Pentax DA lenses (and Canon EOS or Nikon "G") lenses without an aperture ring, one would need an adapter that has a ring to set the aperture.

I have not seen a Voigtlander or Rayqual adapter with an aperture control ring.
02-17-2013, 12:04 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I will probably pick up a genuine Pentax adapter soon since the Fotodiox adapter is just not very good. The two lenses I would/do use the most via an adapter (FA* 300 and DA 17-70) don't lock into it. I have to use a wrist loop when transporting the Q with either lens attached so I can hold the lens because I'd rather drop the Q than my favorite lens.

And you can shoot either wide open or f/6.3 or smaller, wow!

To tinker around with, the Fotodiox is OK. If I was certain there would be a Q15 or Q20 down the road, the Pentax adapter would be an instant purchase at $250 + $50 tripod foot. The Q is just that good, though it's still hard to stomach the adapter price vs what we paid for the camera
02-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
.... though it's still hard to stomach the adapter price vs what we paid for the camera
Yeah, that one tipped my wife into the, "You are certifiably crazy. SELL SOMETHING!!" mode again. Since she has better perspective and since my next major purchase awaits nextgen APSc or FF I don't mind what I've spent on Q gear, especially since I will actually use what's left after the inventory liquidation.

But that's just me.
02-17-2013, 01:18 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I don't have a "finance manager" to worry about It's sooooo nice being able to move some unused gear to free up some funds and I tend to hold on to things I really really like.

Good part is, I can see the Q being usable for the next few years if Pencoh continues with firmware updates and releases more bodies and lenses...both of which, they are doing at a pretty brisk pace. I hope they continue to make the Q a viable and desirable system.
02-17-2013, 05:32 PM   #13

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GXRUser Quote
For Pentax DA lenses (and Canon EOS or Nikon "G") lenses without an aperture ring, one would need an adapter that has a ring to set the aperture.

I have not seen a Voigtlander or Rayqual adapter with an aperture control ring.
Don't know about Nikon, but you can't control a Canon EF lens aperture mechanically. They can only be set electronically. You'd have to have an adapter that had it's own built in aperture.
02-17-2013, 06:12 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The Fotodiox adapter works quite well for me. Build quality is decent enough, and as long as you paint the inside flat black, it's fine. Tripod mount's dodgy, though.

I'd like to have the Pentax adapter with the shutter someday, but it's not worth $250 to me. A used one for $150? Maybe. Also, you'd think for $250, they could at least throw in the tripod foot.
02-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
For me, like you, trying to justify a $250 adapter for a $90 camera.
That you paid $90 for it doesn't make it a $90 camera! It is a pricey little accessory. It would be nice to see the price come down. But I would imagine that, outside this forum, probably less than 1% of Q buyers would have any interest in a K-mount adapter. For me it was a no-brainer; the main reason I bought the Q in the first place was to use it with K-mount lenses, and I want the built-in shutter and better flash support offered by the Pentax adapter.