Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Capture camera clip with the Q - Which plate?

Anybody have any experience with the Microplate as part of the Capture clip system? It seems like a perfect fit for a small camera like the Q but I have one reservation. As I understand it, it only clips into the system in two directions. So, if you had the plate in line with the bottom of the camera, it would clip downward if you have the capture on say a backpack strap on your chest. This is fine. However, if you put the capture on your belt you are then forced to engage the system from the side. This isn't an issue with the larger ARCA plate as it loads from 4 directions and you can still clip a camera with the lens down. However, with the Micro plate, the lens of the camera would either point forward or backwards. The other option is to change the position of the plate on the camera but then it would not conform to the small camera profile and essentially just be as bulky as the ARCA plate.

Anyway, anyone have any experience with this or any insight as to something I might be missing?

02-18-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by colonel00 Quote
Anybody have any experience with the Microplate as part of the Capture clip system? It seems like a perfect fit for a small camera like the Q but I have one reservation. As I understand it, it only clips into the system in two directions. So, if you had the plate in line with the bottom of the camera, it would clip downward if you have the capture on say a backpack strap on your chest. This is fine. However, if you put the capture on your belt you are then forced to engage the system from the side. This isn't an issue with the larger ARCA plate as it loads from 4 directions and you can still clip a camera with the lens down. However, with the Micro plate, the lens of the camera would either point forward or backwards. The other option is to change the position of the plate on the camera but then it would not conform to the small camera profile and essentially just be as bulky as the ARCA plate.

Anyway, anyone have any experience with this or any insight as to something I might be missing?
I have the capture and micro 4/3 plate - I don't think with the weight of the Q and native lenses you'll run into much hassle on your belt - if you have a skinnier belt you can rotate the mount about 45 degrees (possibly more) so the camera would point at least partially down (I rotate it 45 degrees on my messenger bag strap which is about 1.5 inches wide to have it point down myself).
02-19-2013, 07:08 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. I decided to just go with an ARCA plate for now to be safe. I agree that the Q with an 01 or 02 or even 06 lens wouldn't be an issue at the 45 degree angle as you describe but I would also like the option to possibly clip the Q with the lens down with an adapted lens (obviously a smaller lens and not something like the DA*300). Anyway, once I get some testing done I will try to respond back here for anyone in the future that might be interested.