Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Did firmware upgrade break "save anything to front dial?"

Hi everyone,

Have had my Q for a year, and love it. It ties with my previous fav for best ever, the fabulous Auto 110. (For reference, other Pentax's in my collection, most of which were used in my days as a pro for newspapers: 2 LXs; an MX; an ME Super; an ME; a K20d, etc.) One of my favorite things was the ability to save anything (up to 3, anyway) to the front dial. I used to have a special B&W setup; the same with the ND filter; and then auto everything with ND filter for grabbing quick shots on the fly.

Was anxious to install the firmware upgrade -- really wanted focus peaking, and antishake for all lenses. (Yes, I do stick my 135 1.8 A* on it; or rather the Q on the 135, given the size differential.) Install went fine, but...my front dial settings were gone. Put it down to the upgrade resetting everything. Tried to reset them several times, but no joy. Figured I was muffing a step.

So I dug out the manual last weekend, did it step by step, and...still no joy. SOMETHING saves to the dial, but it's only about half the settings. The ND filter, for example, but not the B&W or the orange filter.

Two questions: Is anyone else having this problem? And does anyone know if there is updated documentation for the Q? OK, a third question: What, if anything, does the Q10 manual say?

To save you time, the relevant instructions are on page 142 of the original user manual. Basically, you take three images using the exact settings you want to save. So my first was B&W+Orange Filter; my second was the 1st plus NDFilter; and the third was Auto Everything plus ND filter. Next set the dial to Smart Effects, Choose User 1, press the SAVE button, choose Save Thumbnail, then find Thumbnail 1 and save it. Rinse and repeat.

Thoughts?

cjf

02-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

As far as I remember, the latest FW update erases all your previous settings, so yeah you have to re do it all!
I just did it (again) but used a different method. I basically set the camera for all the settings I want, then go through the menu and save those settings under one of the USER 1 - 4. Then reset & repeat for the other 3 possibilities. It's not immediately intuitive, but it does work!