Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2013, 01:31 AM   #1

Q handheld with K adapter?

Hello!

I wonder if it is possible to take pictures only handheld when having the K adapter installed.
with my 200mm that would be 1100mm. Is that possible without tripod?

Thank you in advance

02-21-2013, 01:36 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Szenario Quote
Hello!

I wonder if it is possible to take pictures only handheld when having the K adapter installed.
with my 200mm that would be 1100mm. Is that possible without tripod?

Thank you in advance
It's possible, but rather unstable and hard to hold. I recommend always using a tripod.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-21-2013, 01:42 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's possible, but rather unstable and hard to hold. I recommend always using a tripod.
Thanks for your reply.

The problem I see is that not all lenses have the possibility to put a tripod on them, allthough they are to heavy to get hold on by the Q on it's own and I'm not much of a tripod shooter.
02-21-2013, 04:59 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is a tripod foot adapter accessory for the Q for K Adapter, which was designed with this part in mind. Part# 48140 for the DA*300, $46.85 from Pentax Parts. It is a perfect fit and solves the problem. I cannot handhold a K200/2.5 with the Q and adapter well enough for sharpness. The tripo mount works perfectly.

Tripod Foot Adapter thread

02-21-2013, 05:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's very possible to shoot handheld with an adapted lens. I do it all the time. You'll want to use a tripod with your 200mm lens, though. Anything above 135mm I stick on a tripod. Your mileage may vary, though.
02-21-2013, 06:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is when the original adapter works better than third party ones as you can get skewed images due to the electronic shutter, something that is solved with the built in shutter in the original.
02-21-2013, 06:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

If you have the cheap adapters without the shutter mechanism that's built into the Pentax version then it takes 1/13th of a second for the Q to scan the sensor, any movement will record as a blur during this time, even slight movements will take the edge off the sharpness. With these adapters the effective shutter speed is 1/13th of a second on every shot.

The longer the lens, the more it magnifies camera movement, hand holding can be helped by technique, leaning heavily against a solid object greatly reduces upper body movement, a viewfinder over the rear screen gives you that third point of contact with your body, your eye and both hands, which all help stability. But trying to hold a camera with a long lens absolutely rock steady whilst the camera is recording the shot is almost impossible at 1/13th of a second.

Chris

02-21-2013, 07:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I hand hold all my adapted lenses including my 200 and 300mm lenses. I hate carting a tripod but I does make life a lot easier. I find that I must turn SR to continuous mode a battery hog. I only get about 10% keepers with the 200 and 300 hand held. As stated above a 135 works quite well hand held and I get about 50% keepers. In addition to camera shake the rolling shutter is a problem on shutterless adapters so you can not pan motion. But based on the post from others I seem to be steadier than most. Several other people here hand hold a 300 with good results. I use my DAL 55-300 and my Tamron 70-300 they are light weight lenses.

Hans
02-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
There is a tripod foot adapter accessory for the Q for K Adapter, which was designed with this part in mind. Part# 48140 for the DA*300, $46.85 from Pentax Parts. It is a perfect fit and solves the problem. I cannot handhold a K200/2.5 with the Q and adapter well enough for sharpness. The tripo mount works perfectly.

Tripod Foot Adapter thread
Can you please link this Tripod Bracket. I can not find it.
Thank you
02-21-2013, 10:39 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

I agree with Hans (hnikesch). I can handhold up to 300mm (1674mm EQ) with the Q and adapted lenses with shutter speeds as low as 1/100 with SR, but to get really good sharpness 1/300 or faster is better. I've also found that though a faster prime (300mm f4-4.5 @ 2 lbs) has better IQ potential, a lighter (one lb) slower (f5.8) consumer class zoom like the DA 55-300 can work a bit better than my premium primes for handholding because of the lighter weight. I think the limit for any individual is depends a great deal on technique

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/204091-q-fw-v1-1-da-55-300-handheld.html

If you scroll down in this thread, there are pics of my setup. The Hood Loupe is an important accessory to shoot long lenses handheld with the Q. It allows me to brace the camera against my face, like a camera with an eye level viewfinder, and this contributes to steadiness considerably.

Also, with the OEM Pentax K to Q adapter, there are 3rd party tripod collars that can be modified to fit the adapter. This has a couple of advantages -- lower cost and the ability to rotate the foot of the adapter to change the orientation of the camera to the foot.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/208945-chinese-tripod-rings-pentax-k2q-adapter.html

In my experience, the rolling shutter (jello effect) from the electronic shutter and 3rd party adapters does not significantly effect the image unless the motion (either camera shake or subject motion) is pretty fast, so this is not really a major consideration for me for stationary bird shooting. If the motion is that quick during the exposure, it would produce blur in the shot anyway, even with a mechanical shutter, so this is really not an additional factor for me to account for when shooting, but knowing that the actual exposure is taking longer to complete than the indicated shutter speed means that I "follow through" with the shot, holding the camera on target as steadily as possible for a bit longer than I would with a DSLR or with the mechanical shutter equipped Pentax adapter.

Scott
02-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The problem I see is that not all lenses have the possibility to put a tripod on them, allthough they are to heavy to get hold on by the Q on it's own and I'm not much of a tripod shooter.
The proper adapter has its own tripod foot

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can you please link this Tripod Bracket. I can not find it.
Thank you
I don't have a link to the actual part, known as the Optional Tripod Adapter both on the DA*300 Specifications and the Q for K Adapter Sepcifications on the Pentax Webstore page. Members who posted on the linked thread called Pentax USA Customer Service, were forwarded to Pentax USA Parts, who looked up the Part# in the catalog and acce[pted their orders. Those members then posted the Part# on the thread. Here is a link to the individual post made by LaurenOE with a schematic diagram of the part.

"The part is from part # 48140 (DA*300 ED (IF) SDM) 48140.0D401 Tripod Seat Assy"

Link to Picture 1
Link to Picture 2
Link to Picture 3

Last edited by monochrome; 02-21-2013 at 11:47 AM.
02-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
I agree with Hans (hnikesch). I can handhold up to 300mm (1674mm EQ) with the Q and adapted lenses with shutter speeds as low as 1/100 with SR, but to get really good sharpness 1/300 or faster is better. I've also found that though a faster prime (300mm f4-4.5 @ 2 lbs) has better IQ potential, a lighter (one lb) slower (f5.8) consumer class zoom like the DA 55-300 can work a bit better than my premium primes for handholding because of the lighter weight. I think the limit for any individual is depends a great deal on technique

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/204091-q-fw-v1-1-da-55-300-handheld.html

If you scroll down in this thread, there are pics of my setup. The Hood Loupe is an important accessory to shoot long lenses handheld with the Q. It allows me to brace the camera against my face, like a camera with an eye level viewfinder, and this contributes to steadiness considerably.

Also, with the OEM Pentax K to Q adapter, there are 3rd party tripod collars that can be modified to fit the adapter. This has a couple of advantages -- lower cost and the ability to rotate the foot of the adapter to change the orientation of the camera to the foot.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/208945-chinese-tripod-rings-pentax-k2q-adapter.html

In my experience, the rolling shutter (jello effect) from the electronic shutter and 3rd party adapters does not significantly effect the image unless the motion (either camera shake or subject motion) is pretty fast, so this is not really a major consideration for me for stationary bird shooting. If the motion is that quick during the exposure, it would produce blur in the shot anyway, even with a mechanical shutter, so this is really not an additional factor for me to account for when shooting, but knowing that the actual exposure is taking longer to complete than the indicated shutter speed means that I "follow through" with the shot, holding the camera on target as steadily as possible for a bit longer than I would with a DSLR or with the mechanical shutter equipped Pentax adapter.

Scott
Thanks for the posts Scott. I have a 55-300 sitting at UPS right now and I look forward to using it with the Q. However, in the two posts you link, you appear to have different tripod ring adapters. Can you elaborate more on the one you have in the picture of your 55-300 setup? I guess perhaps I should ask in that thread but I am not sure it would make sense when referencing the two links you posted here.

Edit: Nevermind. Rereading that thread I see where it is the Tamron ring.

Last edited by colonel00; 02-21-2013 at 12:56 PM.
02-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Double post
02-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by colonel00 Quote
Thanks for the posts Scott. I have a 55-300 sitting at UPS right now and I look forward to using it with the Q. However, in the two posts you link, you appear to have different tripod ring adapters. Can you elaborate more on the one you have in the picture of your 55-300 setup? I guess perhaps I should ask in that thread but I am not sure it would make sense when referencing the two links you posted here.
I use the tripod foot on the fotodiox adapter for my dal 55-300 the lens is light enough. I also agree with Scott, a LCD hood eye piece is a requirement for hand holding anything over 100mm.

Hans