Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 94 Likes Search this Thread
03-20-2014, 02:55 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Yos Quote
Not sure if I should write here or start a new post.
My wife have been asking for a macro lens for the Q and I am not sure which way to go.
Should I order the genuine Pentax k-q adapter and let her use my DFA 100mm macro lens?
Get some close-up/macro filters for a 02 lens. Try to get hold of a 01 lens and close-up/macro filters or is there more ways to go?

I know there is lots of knowledgeable folks out here so please give me some advice
I am very pleased with the results from the DFA100 using the OEM K-Q adapter.
Personally I don't think it is a good idea to hang anything off the end of the Q native lenses as the construction is not that sturdy.

03-21-2014, 05:09 PM   #32
Yos
Veteran Member

Thanks for the reply mate.
Might be an idea to save up to a genuine adapter then
03-24-2014, 05:22 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
There's a Q-mount macro lens on the roadmap but apparently we won't be seeing it any time soon, so I agree getting the adapter K is a good idea, since you already have the DFA 100.

Another stack from the 10x microscope objective on Pentax-A Macro 1:2.8 50mm (for 2.5x magnification at the sensor) and the original Q:

03-24-2014, 10:50 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Id just grab a raynox to suit the 02 lens and use that for now

05-30-2014, 06:48 PM - 1 Like   #35

Photos: Albums
Great thread, I'm really amazed at your shots everyone!

I rescued a little bee the other morning. It was on the sidewalk and likely would have been squished. It was very sluggish and obviously out of sorts. Not so good for the bee, but it made an extended photo shoot possible later in the day. Once it got warmed up in the morning sun the next day, it was well enough to fly away.

In the second shot below, you'll see a row of tiny hooks on leading edge of the rear wing. I just learned this is called the hamuli and it hooks the front and back wings together during flight.

The third shot shows the corbicula or pollen basket. Basically a concave area surrounded by hairs on the tibia of the 2 rear legs where the bee collects pollen. Literally, the "bee's knees."

Shot with the DFA100 WR macro on the Q.

Last edited by NotSteve; 05-30-2014 at 06:56 PM.
09-14-2014, 02:05 PM - 2 Likes   #36
Pentaxian

EL-Nikkor 50/2.8 for insects

I bought my Q just for "teleconverter use", but then found this thread and realised that it is great for handhled macro also. I don't have any real macro lenses for my DSLR, so I tried to find some substitutes. The EL-Nikkor was cheap (20 CAD plus overseas shipment) is small and significantly sharper compared to the lenses I tested before. This summer I started to use this with my Q - for me this is a pure joy. Many thanks for all PF-users that inspired my to go the Q-way!

The original Q. Nikkor EL-Nikkor 50/2.8 probably at 5.6 (this is enlarger lens, I have older version*). Setup: M39 to M42 adpater, M42 variable extension ring, M42 - K adapter, homemade K to Q adapter, 2 small cheap chinese video led lamps.

*- the newer version can have better coatings.
09-14-2014, 03:25 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Excellent work with the EL-Nikkor! Based on your setup I take it you have mounted the lens in the normal orientation -- I've only used this lens reversed, where it also performs well. But I haven't tried it on the Q yet.

09-14-2014, 03:26 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Piotrek K, these are great shots. The Q is great for macro. How are you attaching the El-Nikkor to the Q? Have that lens and I need to try it out.
thanks
barondla

Check out Point and Shoot contest #81 in the compact camera forum. Enter #82. Any brand camera allowed. The Q is invited.
09-14-2014, 03:29 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
barondla, the El-Nikkor 50/2.8 has an M39 screw thread for normal mounting. It also has a front filter thread; as I recall it is 40.5mm (same as for Q lenses!).
09-14-2014, 03:48 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

baro-nite, we posted at the same time. Is there a Q>M39 adapter? I really need a Pk>M39 adapter to use the Pentax Q>PK shuttered adapter. Hate to give up flash or longer exposure times.

Also have the EL-Nikkor 135. Need to get it out. Tried reverse mounting the EL-Nikkor 50 on Pentax 02 (major vignetting) and the 06 (minor). That could now be solved with Q extension tubes. Baro-nite, you are correct about the filter size. That allowed me to stack the lenses.
thanks
barondla
09-15-2014, 12:06 AM   #41
Pentaxian

I didn't tried reverse mounting. It is no problem to have quite big magnification when using EL-Nikkor normally. What I'm planning now is to make a shade for it, improve grip for more steady holding and try warming filter on one of the 2 led lamps I use as a additional lighting (just on one, because they seem to be not to "cold").
09-15-2014, 02:40 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Piotrek K Quote
I didn't tried reverse mounting. It is no problem to have quite big magnification when using EL-Nikkor normally.
Yes, however at magnifications above 1:1 the lens is supposed to work better reversed (as, indeed, is the case with the vast majority of lenses, other than specialized optics such as microscope objectives or dedicated bellows lenses).
12-12-2014, 11:46 AM - 2 Likes   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ahh, jeez, guys . . .

An hour ago I was doin' just fine on the 12-step Don't-DIY program an' then someone had to dredge up this thread.

The junk box called and after kludging up an M42-to-Q adapter from body caps for this ol' bellows I've now gotta figure out what to do with this contraption.

At least the 105mm offers good working distance.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by pacerr; 12-12-2014 at 12:03 PM.
12-12-2014, 12:17 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hank, you have too much time on your hands...nice work though.
01-30-2015, 11:41 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For those with A110 lenses and the Fotodiox PTX110-PQ adapter there's an easy way to assemble an optical extension ring that produces excellent results.

Harbor Freight sells a $4 jeweler's eye loupe (#94362) with 1-inch diameter 3.3x and 5x lenses that fit perfectly in the adapter and act as diopter lenses. Hold either in securely with a 1"/26mm rubber grommet/O-ring and the 18, 50 and 70mm lenses provide a wide range of macro results. The adapter is easily reconfigured.

Last edited by pacerr; 01-30-2015 at 11:47 PM.