Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 94 Likes Search this Thread
01-14-2017, 05:19 AM   #76

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
Phil, nice colors and details! 06 lens and a spacer seems to be a very good combination. Can you adjust the aperture with your setup? What kind of extension tube do you have?
Thanks!

I got a set of Kooka extension tubes - equipped with all contacts: full aperture control, even AF works (pics were actually taken using AF). Very comfortable to work with!

For more details on that see here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/337279-q7-macros-without-tubes-overview.html

QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
Thank you very much!
You're welcome!

Last edited by philzucker; 01-14-2017 at 05:21 AM. Reason: Added link to another thread
01-14-2017, 09:59 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Snow Flake photography

Those of you interested in Q macro work might find this article of interest. Adapt a Q to this sort of work?
Snowflake macro photography
01-14-2017, 01:01 PM   #78
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philzucker Quote
I got a set of Kooka extension tubes - equipped with all contacts: full aperture control, even AF works (pics were actually taken using AF). Very comfortable to work with!

For more details on that see here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/337279-q7-macros-without-tubes-overview.html
Oh no, I need a new brain, haha!
It turns out that I've read that post of yours, went to dpreview forum, was impressed, came back here, I apparently even clicked "thumbs up" button for your post, and you know what? I totally forgot about it!!! Thanks for the explanation, full control sounds nice!
01-14-2017, 02:48 PM   #79
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
Those of you interested in Q macro work might find this article of interest. Adapt a Q to this sort of work?
Snowflake macro photography
Thanks Denny, very interesting. And I'm sure Q could be used for this purpose too.

I kind of like that he's like "This is what I've done so far, you can do it too, BTW people listed below use different system, they create beautiful images!", if you know what I mean. He spends zero time overthinking about equipments. His system is a P&S, an old SLR lens, wooden board and duct tape, the system works beautifully, he doesn't talk if it makes sense to do it his way or whatever.

Another interesting thing to me personally is that I happen to know (through my job) one of the snow flake photographers that the author of that web page says "are standard of quality and an ideal to aspire", but I had no idea up until now that he takes photographs at all!

02-16-2017, 09:57 PM   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tried Pentax Q7 with Pentax Q>PK adapter (leaf shutter was very important for flash) on Pentax PK bellows. Adapted an Olympus OM 80mm 1:1 macro lens to bellows. Best images were at f8 on lens. Pentax AF540 flash. This was maximum bellows extension.

Comparison tree shot is Q7 w/02 at 6.4mm and closest focusing distance. You can barely see the little yellow blooms in this pic.

thanks for looking
barondla
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
03-08-2017, 08:08 PM - 3 Likes   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So I went and ordered a set of MOVO auto tubes for the Q, they arrived yesterday. It sort of bugged me that one has to buy the whole set when only the 10 mm one is useful but such is life.

It's -18º C outside and it's snowing, so no small critters outside and couldn't find a spider inside the house so these silk flowers had to do.

Q7, #6 lens with 10mm ext. tube, auto focus, handheld, homemade flash diffuser ala member "RENSE" modified for the Q. The two macros are uncropped, one at f:7.1 and the other at f"8

Not pretty but it works
03-08-2017, 10:08 PM   #82
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

YES!! Another MacGyver-like solution.

Well done.

03-11-2017, 05:38 PM - 5 Likes   #83

Q7+06 close up

Not macro, proxy :

Q7 + 06 1m 45mm F3.5 ISO200 1/50e

CROP (100%)
03-15-2017, 07:59 AM   #84
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow! Excellent results with the crop!
03-16-2017, 01:57 AM   #85

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Not pretty but it works
That's absolutely brilliant. Excellent use of the extending popup flash. Now I need to try it for myself.
04-14-2017, 09:21 PM - 2 Likes   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is one from today, Q-S1, #6 and 10mm extension. It's the full frame, not cropped.
04-15-2017, 10:53 PM - 2 Likes   #87
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice color and details, the extension tube seems to work really well, Heinrich!

I don't have purple/blue tulip, but some of mine have very violet/purple pollen. Q7 and FD mount Vivitar Series 1 VMC 90mm f2.5 macro with cheap FD-Q adapter.

Spring in my yard by k kwb, on Flickr
04-20-2017, 06:29 PM - 2 Likes   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Was cleaning out the garden shed this afternoon and found this dead beetle on an old towel. Overall length about 20 mm, it's about a 60% crop.
Q-S1, #6 and 10mm extension.
06-06-2017, 07:19 PM - 4 Likes   #89

lettered sphinx moth shot with 100 mm DFA macro on the Q

Been a long time since I've posted any photos. Thanks to all the stalwarts who keep these awesome threads going. Here's a couple shots of a lettered sphinx moth (Deidamia inscriptum) that I found passed out on the floor on Monday morning. Took these at the end of the day and then took him outside where he flew off not long after. Hairy little guy. These were shot with the 100 mm DFA macro on the Q:

07-02-2017, 09:51 PM - 2 Likes   #90
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Macro and no-macro shots using Vivitar Series 1 VMC 90mm f/2.5 macro

All taken with Q7, Vivitar macro lens for Canon FD mount and a cheap FD-Q adapter.

Eight spotted skimmer by k kwb, on Flickr

Eight spotted skimmer close up by k kwb, on Flickr

Feast of flies (yum yum) by k kwb, on Flickr

Licking nectar by k kwb, on Flickr