Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2017, 01:45 AM   #106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
I checked today and SilkyPix auto-crops when loading DNG, but you can revert it back.
Click "trim" button (scissors icon at the top), then press "Enable all data including invalid area in RAW data" button at the bottom right of "Setting for trimming" window.
Great info kwb. Thanks for investigating. Never would have figured this technique out on my own. Very handy that SilkyPix allows both choices to be used. I like this a lot. Now have to look at all my Q7 /03 shots and see what turns up.

I have the 04 wide. It is also great for macro. Anyone know if it auto crops on Q7 and Q-S1?

Thanks,
barondla

09-28-2017, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #107
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Great info kwb. Thanks for investigating. Never would have figured this technique out on my own. Very handy that SilkyPix allows both choices to be used. I like this a lot. Now have to look at all my Q7 /03 shots and see what turns up.
Another thing I forgot to mention is that SiklyPix doesn't auto-stretch to 4000x3000 even when it auto-crops. It just takes a smaller area.
Far better than Adobe products' behavior to auto-crop and auto-stretch at the same time IMHO.
05-10-2018, 11:45 PM - 2 Likes   #108

Photos: Albums
May not be a true 1:1 macro, but the 04 Toy Wide Lens works wonders as a cheap closeup option for the Q system.

Was playing around when I captured this. Shot with a Q-S1 on a tripod. Edited to boost the colors in the yellow/orange area only (with slight sharpening and noise reduction). The blues and purples were naturally that vivid in the jpg SOOC. I used the flash on my cell phone to try to light the interior of the orchid.

07-12-2018, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #109
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I saw a tiny jumping spider on my car before going to work. Q7 with Wollensak Cine Raptar 1" fixed focus lens with a spacer (probably 15mm?).

Baby jumpy on Flickr.

---------- Post added 07-12-18 at 08:44 AM ----------

And this is a damselfly, Q7, Vivitar Series 1 VMC 90mm f2.5 macro FD mount.

Damselfly on Flickr

07-12-2018, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #110
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great catches. The Q cameras are just always ready!
07-15-2018, 10:52 PM - 1 Like   #111
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Q7, Vivitar Series 1 VMC 90mm f2.5 macro with 3rd party FD-Q adapter, probably f/8-ish? Hand held.

Ambush bug on lavender, on Flickr

This is in front of my office. Shortly after taking this I was stung by something on the arm in my shirt sleeve and it was painful! Used some Japanese cuss words, put everything down on the ground (including my Q7 and bag and even my shirt) and ran to the building as fast as I can to wash the sting. I cussed some more but after a while I started laughing hard for some reason.
I went home, reviewed the pictures and was happy to find that my pain wasn't entirely wasted.

---------- Post added 07-15-18 at 11:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Great catches. The Q cameras are just always ready!
Thank you Mikesul, C-mount lenses with spacers on Q series seem to be good for go-anywhere-always-ready type macro and I love my Wollensak for that. (My Vivitar lens OTOH is like an anti-thesis of that, big and heavy, but the picture quality is excellent.)
07-16-2018, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #112
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Excellent image kwb. Your story is a great reminder that our tiny subjects aren't always so excited to be photographed.
Thanks for sharing,
barondla

07-23-2018, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #113
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
Q7, Vivitar Series 1 VMC 90mm f2.5 macro with 3rd party FD-Q adapter, probably f/8-ish? Hand held.

Ambush bug on lavender, on Flickr

This is in front of my office. Shortly after taking this I was stung by something on the arm in my shirt sleeve and it was painful! Used some Japanese cuss words, put everything down on the ground (including my Q7 and bag and even my shirt) and ran to the building as fast as I can to wash the sting. I cussed some more but after a while I started laughing hard for some reason.
I went home, reviewed the pictures and was happy to find that my pain wasn't entirely wasted.

---------- Post added 07-15-18 at 11:03 PM ----------

Thank you Mikesul, C-mount lenses with spacers on Q series seem to be good for go-anywhere-always-ready type macro and I love my Wollensak for that. (My Vivitar lens OTOH is like an anti-thesis of that, big and heavy, but the picture quality is excellent.)
Excellent macro, capturing the details of the velvet on the flower ..!!!
07-23-2018, 02:00 PM   #114
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alayos92 Quote
Excellent macro, capturing the details of the velvet on the flower ..!!!
Hahaha, thanks Alayos92! Speaking about the flower, I like that the one above the bug looked like the head of purple monster with yellow eyes opening its jaws.
07-28-2018, 06:41 AM - 1 Like   #115
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Achromat +5 close up filter from Kenko with 06 zoom on Q7.

I couldn't go outside due to typhoon, so I tested a close up filter using mundane subject. Combination of +5 diopter and 06 lens gives the optical magnification from about 1:13 to somewhat larger than 1:4.4, so this is not even half macro, but it looks like a good close up solution.

Attached is at 45mm, close to maximum magnification, f/5, 1/1250 sec with flash, ISO200, handheld without SR. Chromatic abberation of out-of-focus area was fixed in Lightroom (just a matter of ticking a box).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
08-02-2018, 05:17 AM - 2 Likes   #116
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This time something more interesting. Pentax Q7, Q 06 lens at 15mm f/2.8, Kenko AC +5 close up lens.

Flower on Flickr
08-02-2018, 08:19 AM - 3 Likes   #117

Resharing is caring!

Extreme closeup of the three primary color phosphors on an old TV.

Taken with a Spiratone Macrotar 35/3.5 lens on a fully racked out bellows plus an extra 36mm extension and backed with an original flavor Pentax Q cam!

(Actual live view ultra macro setup in front of my vintage CRT TV.)

ART of Primary Colors – the RGB on my CRT! | kayakfari ( kayak .. far .. i )

09-15-2018, 08:26 PM - 3 Likes   #118
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Q7 and 06 lens with Kenko AC+5 close up lens.

Hoverfly by k kwb, on Flickr
05-27-2019, 02:13 PM - 3 Likes   #119
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bugs

Pentax Q7, M 50mm F4 macro, genuine Pentax Q-K adapter. Found on a strawberry leaf in my back yard.

Tiny metallic green fly on a strawberry leaf by k kwb, on Flickr

Pentax Q7, Vivitar Series 1 VMC 90mm F2.5 Macro (FD mount), Q-FD adapter. This is a blue orchard mason bee on some sort of spirea(??).

Ridiculously blue bee by k kwb, on Flickr
06-18-2019, 07:08 PM - 4 Likes   #120
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The original Q with the 06 and a 16mm extension tube. With an LED Ringflash. The image is supposed to be of a very very fine dew covered cobweb but things went a bit awry.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo