Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2013, 06:47 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
High ISO on the Q

I've heard people say the high ISO performance is lousy on the Q. I decided to see for myself since I might be shooting some gymnastics tomorrow (I'm mainly using the K-x, but I'm taking the Q and an M 135 in case I need extreme reach for a shot or two.) so I stuck the 135 on the Q & took some shots indoors at work under dim fluorescent light to see what kind of worst-scenario results I might be getting.

Gotta say, it looks fairly decent, even at ISO3200. I can handhold the camera and the noise is a lot less than I expected. So if you're afraid of taking the Q higher than ISO 800 as I was, give it a shot. You might be surprised. Just sayin'.

Cheers,
Bob :-)

02-23-2013, 08:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Yup it kicks my K7 in that department :0 - the backlit sensor is a major reason for this.
02-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
I've heard people say the high ISO performance is lousy on the Q. I decided to see for myself since I might be shooting some gymnastics tomorrow (I'm mainly using the K-x, but I'm taking the Q and an M 135 in case I need extreme reach for a shot or two.) so I stuck the 135 on the Q & took some shots indoors at work under dim fluorescent light to see what kind of worst-scenario results I might be getting.

Gotta say, it looks fairly decent, even at ISO3200. I can handhold the camera and the noise is a lot less than I expected. So if you're afraid of taking the Q higher than ISO 800 as I was, give it a shot. You might be surprised. Just sayin'.

Cheers,
Bob :-)
Don't forget you will need a fast shutter to stop motion -- make sure that you can still hit ISO 3200 with a shutter speed of 1/300 or so
02-23-2013, 10:00 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
Yup it kicks my K7 in that department :0 - the backlit sensor is a major reason for this.
Technically speaking the K-7's shots should still be cleaner, even though the K-7 isn't the best by modern standards.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think many of us have been spoiled by the low noise as each new generation of digital has evolved.
I've been shooting the Q at 800 to 3200 often, and have been very pleased with the results.

Maybe someone should start a "Show us your high ISO shots with the Q" thread.
02-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Don't forget you will need a fast shutter to stop motion -- make sure that you can still hit ISO 3200 with a shutter speed of 1/300 or so
Oh yeah. I wouldn't be using it for fast action shots anyway because of the jello.