Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2013, 06:47 AM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Iowa
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,269
High ISO on the Q

I've heard people say the high ISO performance is lousy on the Q. I decided to see for myself since I might be shooting some gymnastics tomorrow (I'm mainly using the K-x, but I'm taking the Q and an M 135 in case I need extreme reach for a shot or two.) so I stuck the 135 on the Q & took some shots indoors at work under dim fluorescent light to see what kind of worst-scenario results I might be getting.

Gotta say, it looks fairly decent, even at ISO3200. I can handhold the camera and the noise is a lot less than I expected. So if you're afraid of taking the Q higher than ISO 800 as I was, give it a shot. You might be surprised. Just sayin'.

Cheers,
Bob :-)

02-23-2013, 08:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 969
Yup it kicks my K7 in that department :0 - the backlit sensor is a major reason for this.
02-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #3
Site Supporter
enoeske's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Surprise, Az
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,920
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
I've heard people say the high ISO performance is lousy on the Q. I decided to see for myself since I might be shooting some gymnastics tomorrow (I'm mainly using the K-x, but I'm taking the Q and an M 135 in case I need extreme reach for a shot or two.) so I stuck the 135 on the Q & took some shots indoors at work under dim fluorescent light to see what kind of worst-scenario results I might be getting.

Gotta say, it looks fairly decent, even at ISO3200. I can handhold the camera and the noise is a lot less than I expected. So if you're afraid of taking the Q higher than ISO 800 as I was, give it a shot. You might be surprised. Just sayin'.

Cheers,
Bob :-)
Don't forget you will need a fast shutter to stop motion -- make sure that you can still hit ISO 3200 with a shutter speed of 1/300 or so
02-23-2013, 10:00 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 42,837
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
Yup it kicks my K7 in that department :0 - the backlit sensor is a major reason for this.
Technically speaking the K-7's shots should still be cleaner, even though the K-7 isn't the best by modern standards.


Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
Site Supporter
robtcorl's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: St Louis, MO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,572
I think many of us have been spoiled by the low noise as each new generation of digital has evolved.
I've been shooting the Q at 800 to 3200 often, and have been very pleased with the results.

Maybe someone should start a "Show us your high ISO shots with the Q" thread.
02-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Iowa
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,269
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Don't forget you will need a fast shutter to stop motion -- make sure that you can still hit ISO 3200 with a shutter speed of 1/300 or so
Oh yeah. I wouldn't be using it for fast action shots anyway because of the jello.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, iso, mirrorless, pentax q, pentax q10, pentax q7, q10, q7, shot
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Noise stripes on high-ISO shots nono Pentax K-5 19 09-29-2012 06:23 AM
People K-5 high ISO... how high can we really go... igor Post Your Photos! 2 03-24-2012 01:10 AM
Q test with images and high iso test pictures StigVidar Pentax Q 9 10-05-2011 08:23 PM
Example of AF, DR, high ISO and high shutter speed on K-5 benisona Pentax DSLR Discussion 17 11-30-2010 02:25 PM
K-7 high ISO vs K20D high ISO supa007 Pentax DSLR Discussion 72 05-10-2010 04:24 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:50 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top