Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
Forum Member

noise reduction on or off ?

i've only had the camera set to high-iso noise reduction, auto, does it matter , does anyone leave it off ? ( is this just a jpeg thing ? )

02-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by glinda Quote
( is this just a jpeg thing ? )
Yes, if you shoot RAW, you can always change these settings when processing the RAW files. With JPEGs, you're stuck with the camera settings.
02-23-2013, 03:46 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks, laurentiu, raw then it doesn't matter ? say i just wanted to shoot jpegs for now, why would i turn the high-iso noise reduction off ? what are the advantages to that ? are there any ? thanks
02-23-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Hi glinda,

You can't turn high ISO NR off completely for Q Jpegs, the only choices are Auto, High, and Low. Personally, I'd like to turn it off completely, but it's not an option. The advantage to less in-camera high ISO NR is that one can choose to use a more effective method to reduce noise in PP.

I find the high ISO NR that any camera uses as less effective/pleasing than a most high-end NR software that can be used in post. I like Topaz DeNoise. There is much less smearing and loss of detail, even at relatively high level applications. There is, of course a cost for this sophistication, both in the software price and the time it takes to learn to use it effectively, but for me, this is all justified by the end results.

I shoot jpegs almost exclusively, and set up my cameras with high ISO NR turned either to Low or Off completely, and in-camera sharpness turned down to -4. As much as possible, I denoise and sharpen in post using what I feel are superior tools for these functions.

As in anything like this, YMMV. . .

Scott

02-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
so , if i put the setting on low , that would be better, then, maybe. sometimes , not always though, i notice with the Q jpegs ( that's what i have been shooting ) that it almost seems like someone had taken a spatula with paint and spread out the colors ( don't know how else to describe it ) somewhat--- so was wondering if it was that noise reduction that had done that. thanks , snostorm.
02-24-2013, 11:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The spatula of colors you are seeing could very well be the noise reduction. Even though I shoot primarily raw, I do have my jpeg setting set in the case I want to shoot jpeg. Here is what I do:

Take one setting at a time - let's say NR, and take a sample shot at each setting. Then take a look at the shots. Then also do the same with just the sharpening adjustment. As Scott says, it is almost always better to do any noise reduction or sharpening in post processing. But, let's face it - some people just don't want to be bothered, which is fine. So in that case, finding the best jpeg settings that please you is important. The only way of doing that is to take the time and do the sample shots like I explained above. In the end you will be much happier.

I think a lot of people just leave these settings at the factory default, then if they don't like the images they are seeing, blame it on the camera and get rid of it to try another one. The NR and sharpening settings make a huge difference of the jpeg output of any camera - and especially more noticeable with these small sensor cameras.
02-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by glinda Quote
why would i turn the high-iso noise reduction off ? what are the advantages to that ? are there any ? thanks
The advantage is that you can fine tune the noise reduction using your favorite piece of software. Noise reduction is a destructive process where some detail is lost together with the noise. And processing algorithms improve in time, so not applying the camera NR now allows you to later use a better NR algorithm.
02-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks for the replies, LC and stan ; stormtech : tried the auto, low, and high noise reduction, couldn't tell much difference between them all really, but will try some more shots to experiment more.