Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Q 02 kit bad apple

This is a post to give folks an idea of what to look for when the camera, as shipped, isn't DOA but also is not quite right. By the way, I have ordered another unit, but it hasn't arrived yet.

I followed all the proper firmware update procedures when the camera arrived from Target.com. Fully charged the battery, formatted an 8 gb card in camera, installed the zoom 02 update without a hitch; formatted the card again in camera, installed the camera body update without a hitch. Customized the setting to my liking - including Dust Removal at time of shutdown.

First few times I turned the camera on and off, I noticed that I was losing the Location and Date/Time settings back to default. Then, I got a setting where the month was correct but the date had reset to the first. After a few more times of shooting and turning on and off, the problem went away. I did a short test on an outing, working with various flash settings (dark area); I noticed that auto-flash did not work most of the time (ambient lighting was at least four stops below proper exposure). Forced flash worked fine. About 25 shots into it, lost a bar on the battery. Further testing later with battery down just a bar, I noticed a sudden shutdown. Did some more testing with adapted lens (generic adapter), some flash, some not, and the camera shut down twice more. Changing the lens back to the 02 zoom restored the unit those times. At 42 shots, the camera shut down and didn't restart. I recharged the battery fully, and took another 25 shots the next day (no loss of any bars), then the camera shut down again.

A day later I received a Wasabi battery for back up, fully charged it, and put it in the camera - that didn't restore it. Another day later tried the camera, and it came to life (I was surprised). It operated fine for about 100 shots, losing only one bar on the battery. Tested some more external flash and camera flash. It shut down once each with the 02 and the adapter attached. Then shut down and wouldn't restore with the adapter attached. Each time I start the camera it immediately flashes the Dust Removal notification and shuts down. So, it does essentially start up but then cycles down in less than a second.

The other odd thing is that there is no auto setting available in Highlight correction in extended Dynamic Range, but there is an auto setting for Shadows; that isn't what the manual indicates. Perhaps the 1.10 firmware removed the option.

As for Target.com, they basically allow return to a store (the return slip appears to give me about 45 days - kind of odd when 30 days is the policy). On the second unit, they didn't honor my request for expedited shipping (it is a closeout unit), so it takes a week. I'm not in a hurry. My plan is to take some time before returning the failed unit and test out the two zoom lens to determine if one is sharper than the other. I doubt the lens firmware update has anything to do with the shut down problem.

I am sure that this a hardware or software problem, and not anything I would have done wrong. I have installed many Pentax updates on my three other units without a problem, and I take care to do it right each time. I suspect that something in flash control is causing a voltage spike, triggering the shut down. The updated camera firmware doesn't seem quite right either.