Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Defective Q???

My Q latest FM 1.01, 3 months old..the focus assist light stays locked on and sometimes it goes off after a few minutes,otherwise must pull battery..when turn cam on again it goes back to previous settings , ie I changed some settings pushed the shutter release-light stays on--when cam starts up again it goes to previous settings. If I turn off focus mag. and focus peaking it seems to help a bit? anyone have similar issues
Thanks Shanti

02-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
My Q latest FM 1.01, 3 months old..the focus assist light stays locked on and sometimes it goes off after a few minutes,otherwise must pull battery..when turn cam on again it goes back to previous settings , ie I changed some settings pushed the shutter release-light stays on--when cam starts up again it goes to previous settings. If I turn off focus mag. and focus peaking it seems to help a bit? anyone have similar issues
Thanks Shanti
Have you reset to factory settings? (That is a Menu option - at work without my cam so I can't detail how to get the, but try that). Then fully recharge the battery. Starting over with settings and feesh juice sometimes helps any camera.
02-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Have reset a few times, wonder if using the OM adapter does something to the contacts? seems to be worse when I put the Q lens back on after using adapter
02-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I haven't had that issue with either of mine, actually I dont recall the focus assist light ever coming on? Maybe try reloading the firmware, otherwise sounds like it may need to be serviced.

02-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Now I have more info..when it tries to focus with FA light and can't focus and I keep pressing the shutter, 5 times or more then it will lock on, no matter what the focus settings are in the menu...
how to reinstall FM? can I turn the FA light off somewhere?
02-26-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

See this thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/211176-firmware-update-reminder.html

http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/digital/q_s.html

The latest Q firmware is 1.10, so if you are running 1.01 you have old firmware. (Unless you have a Q10, the firmware just released for it is 1.01)
02-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
its 1.10 ,my mistake..i'll check out the links you sent thanks
02-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
Pentaxian

It doesn't seem likely that Pentax would allow a camera to re-install the same exact firmware (1.10) as is already on the camera, but I haven't tried that. Pentax says not to go back to an earlier version, and although some have done that it seems like an unwise thing to do if warned by the manufacturer to avoid doing so.

While I am glad that the hybrid cameras are getting substantial firmware updates at the end of production cycle, it is disconcerting about the continued stability issues.

02-26-2013, 01:05 PM   #9
Forum Member

You can turn off the AF assist light in the menu. It is all the way over to the right in the menu. the "C" tab.
02-26-2013, 05:03 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gt6plus Quote
You can turn off the AF assist light in the menu. It is all the way over to the right in the menu. the "C" tab.
got it now... maybe the cam was on when I took of the OM adapter and that did something..it came from the states so I wonder if Pentax here (Denmark) will fix it for free? must check warranty