Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2013, 01:16 PM   #1

Mode dial confusion

I got my K-Q adapter today so I decided to try finally my recently acquired Q. I updated the firmware to v1.10 to get focus peaking feature. After the update mode dial seems to behave strangely (didn't really play with Q before update so don't know if it was strange before). Only 3 settings on mode dial are working as they should and those are "Av", "M" and video. All others (P, Tv, AUTO, SCN and BC) work only as "Av" (it also shows the "Av" -setting in screen when I try these). So whats this? Am I missing something?

02-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #2

Original Poster
And when I played with settings little more, now the "M" (manual) setting changed to "TAv" -setting? Huh? Whats wrong with my little Q?
02-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpyykonen Quote
And when I played with settings little more, now the "M" (manual) setting changed to "TAv" -setting? Huh? Whats wrong with my little Q?
It'll say TAv when you're in auto ISO mode, and M if you've manually dialed in an ISO.

With the adapter you can't get full automation because the camera can't control the aperture, but with a native Q lens you should be able to access all of the modes.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-27-2013, 10:00 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It'll say TAv when you're in auto ISO mode, and M if you've manually dialed in an ISO.

With the adapter you can't get full automation because the camera can't control the aperture, but with a native Q lens you should be able to access all of the modes.
Oh, I should have realized it was auto ISO which changed the M to TAv. Just a bit confused as I have used to have those as separate modes in K-5. So I guess it works as it should then?

02-28-2013, 07:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Yes. It is working just like mine.
02-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Yes. It is working just like mine.
Good to hear! Thanks. I should have realized that Q has no in-body shutter and the actual shutter is in the lens and it may cause some modes not working.
03-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #7

Electronic Shutter

Actually, the Q has two shutters. Premium lenses (01, 02, 06) and the Pentax K adapter have a mechanical leaf shutter. The Q body's sensor will operate as an "electronic shutter" when an image is recorded with the 03, 04, 05 lenses and simple adapters. With the lenses with shutters, you can disable it and use the electronic shutter if you choose.
03-02-2013, 04:16 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GXRUser Quote
Actually, the Q has two shutters. Premium lenses (01, 02, 06) and the Pentax K adapter have a mechanical leaf shutter. The Q body's sensor will operate as an "electronic shutter" when an image is recorded with the 03, 04, 05 lenses and simple adapters. With the lenses with shutters, you can disable it and use the electronic shutter if you choose.
Ok, thanks for clarification. I haven't actually paid much attention to that and I certainly learned something again.

03-03-2013, 05:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GXRUser Quote
Except that the fastest effective speed you can have with the electronic shutter is 1/13th of a second with the sensor used in the Q. There are two settings with the electronic shutter, the shutter speed (1/100th etc) which is the sensitivity setting of each pixel on the sensor, but it takes 1/13th of a second for the camera to scan the whole sensor, during this time the sensor is active and updating pixels, so you may get blur due to subject and/or camera movement recorded, even though you have a faster 'shutter speed' set. An effect known as 'Jello shutter'.

The mechanical shutter get's around this problem, and why one is necessary, as it is on other digital cameras, by only being open for the set shutter speed and blanking off the sensor so the pixels don't 'update' during the rest of the scan time.

Chris
03-03-2013, 07:21 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJ Quote
Except that the fastest effective speed you can have with the electronic shutter is 1/13th of a second with the sensor used in the Q. There are two settings with the electronic shutter, the shutter speed (1/100th etc) which is the sensitivity setting of each pixel on the sensor, but it takes 1/13th of a second for the camera to scan the whole sensor, during this time the sensor is active and updating pixels, so you may get blur due to subject and/or camera movement recorded, even though you have a faster 'shutter speed' set. An effect known as 'Jello shutter'.

The mechanical shutter get's around this problem, and why one is necessary, as it is on other digital cameras, by only being open for the set shutter speed and blanking off the sensor so the pixels don't 'update' during the rest of the scan time.

Chris
Chris,
So does that mean when using my Oly adapted lenses with the Fotodiox adapter the fastest shutter speed is actually 1/13 second? What is gained by setting the shutter speed at all if it takes 1/13 second to scan the whole sensor? Trying to get my head around this..

Lacro
03-03-2013, 08:01 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lacro Quote
Chris,
So does that mean when using my Oly adapted lenses with the Fotodiox adapter the fastest shutter speed is actually 1/13 second? What is gained by setting the shutter speed at all if it takes 1/13 second to scan the whole sensor? Trying to get my head around this..

Lacro
Pretty much, there a few threads around that show some superb examples of what's possible with these 'simple' adapters, especially with the 'reach' of the Q, how the small sensor and large crop factor makes even modest lenses into super wide aperture telephoto lenses (a 50mm f1.7 becomes a 275mm f1.7), but the subjects shown all tend to be pretty static, perched birds, the Moon etc., with the camera on a tripod.

The Pentax Q to K adapter totally gets around this problem, at a price, as it incorporates a shutter mechanism, then any lens that will fit, or can be adapted to fit, a K mount works very well and you will still get the large crop factor effect.

You have to set the shutter speed, because the sensitivity and the scan time of the sensor are two different settings, the sensitivity sets the exposure, but the scan time still remains.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisJ; 03-03-2013 at 08:08 AM.