Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2013, 09:56 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Date Adjustment lost ... unable to reset it now !

This is strange:

I had been using the Q with the Pentax adapter two days ago, the battery was low so I placed it in the recharger, put the battery back in today and now this is what's happening with the 01 lens mounted:

When I turned the camera ON this morning, the monitor (screen) showed the screen info as if it were the first time I used it: asking to enter date, language, etc ...
Weird but I did what I am supposed to do and re-enter the info required but,
The Date adjustment on my Q has suddenly decided to not respond.

Here is what I did (as I did when I first got the camera (the, it worked perfectly until today when I turned it ON):

Date adjustment:

Date Format: press "OK" -- from there I cannot access the dd/mm/yy to enter the numbers. Each time I press the 4-way button, it goes back to: dd/mm/yy

Date: that's fine, exact date entered and accepted.
Time: fine too; correct time.

So, I decided to just press "Settings Complete" so I can use the camera.

When I try to reset the Date Format: same thing: unable to enter the numbers .... each time I press on the 4-way button, it goes back to dd/mm/yy.

I tried removing the battery, wait for 10-15 seconds and retry: no deal!

So, either I am doing something wrong or there is a problem with the camera.

If anyone has any idea about this weird behavior, I'd like to know.

Thanks!!

JP

03-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Original Poster
UPDATE: Sorry folks but I goofed, big time! well, at least for part of the "problem": the date is fine now.
I did not do things properly but the date is now set the way it should.
I posted this thinking I had a problem with adjusting the date .... not very smart of me.

BUT: what is strange is the fact that the camera went into "initial" mode when I turned it on this morning .... just as if I was using the camera for the very first time and had to go through the initial settings.

JP
03-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
The backup for the settings is just a small capacitor so it discharges after a Day or so depending on the camera. The thing is
those capacitors have a limited cycle life so eventually go bad and the settings are lost at each battery change.
Best thing is to have a backup battery so in is never left to discharge, I have heard of K100s and others doing it, had it happen to one of
my olympus cams as well. Since then I never leave the cam without a battery and so far have not lost another one.
03-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobpur Quote
The backup for the settings is just a small capacitor so it discharges after a Day or so depending on the camera. The thing is
those capacitors have a limited cycle life so eventually go bad and the settings are lost at each battery change.
Best thing is to have a backup battery so in is never left to discharge, I have heard of K100s and others doing it, had it happen to one of
my olympus cams as well. Since then I never leave the cam without a battery and so far have not lost another one.
Thanks for the heads-ups!

JP