Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #1

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Focus Peaking

I'm new to Q, it arrived on Tuesday. The first thing I did was charge the battery and then I updated the firmware for the camera and the 02 lens that I have. So I have a question about focus peaking. How does it work? As in how do I understand what it is showing me and what do I do with it. It is probably really simple and I'm over thinking things (I do this a lot), but I I have no clue how to use it. My other camera is a K-r and it doesn't have focus peaking. Since it was added after the manual was made there is no information on it in the manual.

Thanks in advance,

bigted

03-02-2013, 01:51 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You'll see a white outline around the things that are in focus. Once your subject has an outline, fire away!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-02-2013, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Focus peaking is a manual focus assist, it will outline objects in focus. In addition to focus peaking the Q also has an option to zoom in 2X and 4X to assist in manual focus

Hans
03-02-2013, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #4

This is how I understand it but I could be wrong: Focus peaking is great for helping you get exactly what you want in focus. It does this by using a filter that exposes details in a "high pass" type filter. Meaning, it will sharpen the borders, fine details in the image. This really helps you determine what is in focus.

The best way to understand how to use it is to experiment. Get some good lighting going and get a row of some objects at different distances. While in manual focus you should be able to see each object becoming much more defined in detail as you change your depth of field.

Another great feature to use in combination with this is the focus zoom (I think that is what it is called). you will be able to focus on objects from much farther! These two features, in my opinion, are essential to getting quality photos efficiently when using adapted lenses on the Q.

I hope this was clear enough. I am not a tech-buff nor a photography expert.

Good luck,

Quij

03-02-2013, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Here, check this out:

Q's peaking should be the same.
Focus peaking might not be great in certain conditions, though, like when using a very slow lens (has a high minimal f number) or an ultra wide lens (small # of mm)
03-02-2013, 02:56 PM   #6

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Original Poster
Thank you very much everyone. That makes this, pardon the puns, much sharper and in focus! OK I know they were both groaners, but seriously this was all very helpful.
03-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Best way I found to see it in action really easily was to place a sheet of paper with a lot of text on a flat surface. The position the camera at a 45 degree or less angle on one end of the paper. As you adjust the focus, you will see a "white line" move across the paper as the text in that area comes into focus. Keep in mind, this all depends on your aperture setting and its DOF.

03-02-2013, 03:41 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just use the CA produced by the 77 Limited in place of focus peaking!

03-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I am not seeing any instances of focus peaking happening as I try to focus Rokinon 85/1.4 @ F1.4 on a Q with v1.10 firmware. I've visited Pentax support sites to see if there is any mention of Focus Peaking having been added to the firmware, there was none. I would have thought a new focus technology that debuted with the K-01 being added to the Q via the firmware update would surely be announced officially by Pentax Ricoh, I see nothing of the sort.

I am sitting about 5 feet away from a blue plaid jacket draped over a tripod. I adjust the view to fill the LCD with the patterns on the jacket, I focus on the nearest part of the jacket on one edge then slowly turn the focus ring to shift focus away from me. I can certainly see the effect of shallow DOF as the plaid patterns go in and out of focus but I do not see any telltale signs of focus peaking as illustrated on the short K-01 demonstration video. I've tried this in different lighting conditions, no such highlighting ever occurs as per the K-01 video.
03-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
I am not seeing any instances of focus peaking happening as I try to focus Rokinon 85/1.4 @ F1.4 on a Q with v1.10 firmware. I've visited Pentax support sites to see if there is any mention of Focus Peaking having been added to the firmware, there was none. I would have thought a new focus technology that debuted with the K-01 being added to the Q via the firmware update would surely be announced officially by Pentax Ricoh, I see nothing of the sort.

I am sitting about 5 feet away from a blue plaid jacket draped over a tripod. I adjust the view to fill the LCD with the patterns on the jacket, I focus on the nearest part of the jacket on one edge then slowly turn the focus ring to shift focus away from me. I can certainly see the effect of shallow DOF as the plaid patterns go in and out of focus but I do not see any telltale signs of focus peaking as illustrated on the short K-01 demonstration video. I've tried this in different lighting conditions, no such highlighting ever occurs as per the K-01 video.
A silly question perhaps but did you turn focus peaking on? My apologies if you have. It is under the "Focus Setting" Menu on the first section of the camera menu. I am still waiting for my adapter so I am only using the one Q lens that I have at the moment. Maybe someone else can chime in with an answer if I haven't covered it.
03-07-2013, 09:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
A silly question perhaps but did you turn focus peaking on? My apologies if you have. It is under the "Focus Setting" Menu on the first section of the camera menu. I am still waiting for my adapter so I am only using the one Q lens that I have at the moment. Maybe someone else can chime in with an answer if I haven't covered it.
I did have it on - there were some shimmering effect, could that be the focus peaking in action? I had attributed that to my hand shaking trying to hold the camera at arm's length. I think I should choose a better subject matter and shoot with a shorter lens to see if the PF is as dramatic as it shows in the video.

My bad. I tried again with an M50/1.4 @f1.4 pointed the lens at smaller objects, and the halo effect shows up on the focused edge.

Last edited by excanonfd; 03-07-2013 at 10:01 PM. Reason: change
03-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Hmm, I've updated the firmware, and I have the same Rokinon lens. Focus peaking is most evident when shooting a consistent, slightly patterned item such as furniture fabric or a blanket. It works very similarly to the K-01 (taking into account the substantial "circle of confusion" sensor size difference, of course). The Rokinon on Q probably exhibits a more-distinct focus peak at f/2 because the lens picks up contrast and sharpness with the lens stopped down. In fact, as I do studio tests, it gets easier to predict not only how sharp a lens will test out, but where MTF peaks just using the focus peaking and noticing "snap" as focus is achieved. On a very soft lens, it is difficult to see focus peaking, let alone finding the precise focus point.
03-07-2013, 11:36 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I was too close with the Rokinon to notice because I could already discern the fabric's knit pattern, it became more evident with a shorter focal length lens. I'll be using a Zacuto Z-Finder with the Q and I don't know how relevant focus peaking would be with the Z-Finder having a native 3x magnification. Fiddling with the combination beside the PC with the M 50/1.4, I am too close to the my jackets again rendering the PF useless but it does show the effects well with a high contrast, stand alone object. Got to go visit the local duck pond and see how close I can get to the critters.
03-08-2013, 07:54 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Just use the CA produced by the 77 Limited in place of focus peaking!
Nice one!
03-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
pardon the puns . . .
Hi bigted,

Pardon the puns? You apparently missed this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/212653-q-isms-language-q-owners.html

You're in the right forum, my friend!

Scott