Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2013, 06:08 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Got a Q? Then get a MX-1! Seriously, why not?
Because I already have a Q. (Two of 'em, actually.) Also great for pointing & shooting, they're smaller than the MX-1, cheaper than the MX-1, take interchangeable lenses, and unlike the MX-1, have a hot shoe.

$499 is kinda steep for a point & shoot without interchangeable lens or external flash capability, IMO.

03-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought the MX-1 and then went on an airboat ride deep into the Everglades. It was a clear sunny day here in South Florida and the LCD screen was useless. I amped up the brightness and it still did not help. I know the sun here is super bright so others might do just fine. At least with my Q I can put an OVF on the hot shoe. MX-1 was returned.
03-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by kivis Quote
I bought the MX-1 and then went on an airboat ride deep into the Everglades. It was a clear sunny day here in South Florida and the LCD screen was useless. I amped up the brightness and it still did not help. I know the sun here is super bright so others might do just fine. At least with my Q I can put an OVF on the hot shoe. MX-1 was returned.
Cheaper solution is to buy a LCD hood. The magnetic bracket is small enough to keep on the camera when you want to store the camera away. Works wonders for manual focus.

But hey, you shouldn't have to add 4 inches to the camera to make it visible in the bright day. It is after all a point and shoot and should have these capabilities already.
03-04-2013, 10:48 PM   #19
Pentaxian

no MX-1...

waiting to put my money on the Limited Zoom lens, the DA* lens, and the ...... FF camera. These will be my big purchase this year.

03-04-2013, 11:05 PM   #20
Pentaxian

MX-1 was returned.
Always amazes me at the apparent ease by which you guys there can return stuff you don't like. Here, you'd have Buckley's chance. In fact, under Australian consumer law, retailers are not required to provide a refund or replacement if you change your mind.
03-05-2013, 05:48 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
Always amazes me at the apparent ease by which you guys there can return stuff you don't like. Here, you'd have Buckley's chance. In fact, under Australian consumer law, retailers are not required to provide a refund or replacement if you change your mind.
I didn't change my mind. I told the retailer that the LCD was unusable in the bright Florida sun and they offered to return it. Glad I live in the USA.
03-05-2013, 06:09 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
"Good things are coming,"
It's a reason to live.
03-05-2013, 09:08 AM   #23

I have received a great deal of ridicule from some forum members here and at DPREVIEW over my desire for Pentax/Ricoh to develop and release variants of the Q, K-01, GRD with an option for an attachable or built in EVF, varient of the GXR with an integrated EVF, and future variants of K-5/K-30 that substitue an EVF for the mirror and pentaprism/pentamirror.

You perfectly explained why.

Last edited by GXRUser; 03-05-2013 at 09:35 AM.
03-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #24
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by GXRUser Quote
I have received a great deal of ridicule from some forum members here and at DPREVIEW over my desire for Pentax/Ricoh to develop and release variants of the Q, K-01, GRV with an option for an attachable or built in EVF, varient of the GXR with an integrated EVF, and future variants of K-5/K-30 that substitue an EVF for the mirror and pentaprism/pentamirror.

You perfectly explained why.
Over time I am forming the opinion that enthusiast users can be either more tolerant of the EVF solution or absolutely virulently against it.

Professional users seem to be willing to evaluate cameras as tools and to consider the price utility of the tools carrying out their work. If an EVF attched to a MILC will accomplish the professional task at a lower price than a traditional mirror / optical viewfinder and more reliably that a rear-mount LCD then it will be recieved favorably by that segment of the population.

But there will remain a group of members who are virulently opposed to the change.
03-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have received a great deal of ridicule from some forum members here and at DPREVIEW over my desire for Pentax/Ricoh to develop and release variants of the Q, K-01, GRD with an option for an attachable or built in EVF.
No ridicule from me... I think it's a smashing idea. In the case of the Q at least, it's easy to pop on a $12 viewfinder loupe that makes for a very nice viewfinder and takes care of the LCD glare issue.
03-05-2013, 11:02 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
No ridicule from me... I think it's a smashing idea. In the case of the Q at least, it's easy to pop on a $12 viewfinder loupe that makes for a very nice viewfinder and takes care of the LCD glare issue.
a 50mm/5cm optical viewfinder works superbly with the 01 prime.

Issue is with either of the zooms or with adapted lenses or spotting scopes. An EVF would be a much better solution than an LCD shield or loupe.

The MX1 does not even have a shoe to mount a viewfinder into.
03-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #27
Veteran Member

a 50mm/5cm optical viewfinder works superbly with the 01 prime.

Issue is with either of the zooms or with adapted lenses or spotting scopes. An EVF would be a much better solution than an LCD shield or loupe.

The MX1 does not even have a shoe to mount a viewfinder into.
Just got my 50 mm viewfinder to go with my Q and 01 Prime. Psyched.