Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2013, 08:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Distortion correction on the 02 zoom

I'm thinking of using the Q & 02 zoom to do some copy work. Specifically, album covers of LPs I'm ripping into the computer for digital playback. The reason I'm thinking of using the Q is because of the in-camera correction on the 02 lens. Does the in-camera correction do a good job of fixing pincushion distortion with the 02 zoom?

Cheers,
Bob :-)

03-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You could turn it off and on (via Menu->Camera->2->Distortion Correction) and actually see the effect it has. The LCD "live view" shows distortion correction on the Q.
03-04-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
I'm thinking of using the Q & 02 zoom to do some copy work. Specifically, album covers of LPs I'm ripping into the computer for digital playback. The reason I'm thinking of using the Q is because of the in-camera correction on the 02 lens. Does the in-camera correction do a good job of fixing pincushion distortion with the 02 zoom?

Cheers,
Bob :-)
You can improve the in camera results with PS Elements camera distortion correction filter, It's quite powerful

Hans
03-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Both Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom 4 have distortion corrections for most Pentax Lenses (And most other makes too), including the Q 01, 02 zoom and 06 zoom, built in, the default settings will correct to zero distortion. Note for some extreme wide angle lenses such as fisheye's and the Q 01 8.5mm it will have to crop slightly to remove all the lens distortions.

Lens correction is in the Raw Converter (the 6th icon from the left), check the 'Enable Lens Profiles' box and it should recognise the lens from the EXIF data, if not select Pentax in the manufacturer box, and the lens you want from the drop down menu below that.

When copying your camera has to be dead centre and square onto the picture to be able to correct to a totally flat field. The above won't correct for the distortion caused by an angled camera, but you probably know that.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisJ; 03-04-2013 at 03:41 PM.
03-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips, gang...

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJ Quote
Both Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom 4 have distortion corrections for most Pentax Lenses (And most other makes too), including the Q 01, 02 zoom and 06 zoom, built in, the default settings will correct to zero distortion.
Yep. I only have LR3 and a prehistoric (but still very useful) PS7, though.