Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Aftermarket flash option, Q does not trigger my one-pt flash

I am trying to get a flash for my Macro work on the Q, but things are not working right.

Pentax Q
Pentax official adapter
DFA 50mm

Pentax AF360 - flash everytime, p-TTL only
Single contact trigger flash (Yongnuo flash) - flash only the first time, then it won't flash. If I turn off and on the Q again, it will flash the first time.
Vivitar ringflash for Canon - (same above) flash only the first time, then it won't flash. If I turn off and on the Q again, it will flash the first time.

camera setting for Flash When Retracted and flash mode, refer to this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/159246-definitive-manual-externa...-guidance.html

==== all these flashes work fine on my K30, but not Q ====

Anyone get around with those aftermarket flash?
I am getting a off shoe flash trigger and see if it will work.

Last edited by MegaPower; 03-04-2013 at 08:39 PM.
03-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It would be helpful to know the camera set up. I haven't done a lot of flash testing, so someone else will probably want to chime in.

It is important to know if you are shooting with a Q lens, and if not indicate whether your adapter is a Pentax (with shutter), or a generic.

I have tested a low-power off-brand pTTL that works fairly well on the Q and K-01, as long as you are shooting close to full power output and set flash power to underexpose. When using a generic adapter, an external pttl flash should work if the body control is set to flash-off (an apparent safeguard to avoid current draw from the body flash and hot shoe). I also have found shooting with the body flash set to -2 exposure as a master to my Metz (Canon version) in servo mode works consistently well once you find a proper power setting on the Metz. Overall, I find it quite a bit easier to work with flash on the K-01 - especially so because I can avoid having to use pTTL. Of course, it is also much easier to avoid flash with the K-01 because of its low light capabilities.

It should be noted that the body flash auto-flash setting is essentially useless; for some reason it almost never fires even in low ambient light (02 lens or adapter). Forced flash is a good option.
03-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
It would be helpful to know the camera set up. I haven't done a lot of flash testing, so someone else will probably want to chime in.

It is important to know if you are shooting with a Q lens, and if not indicate whether your adapter is a Pentax (with shutter), or a generic.

I have tested a low-power off-brand pTTL that works fairly well on the Q and K-01, as long as you are shooting close to full power output and set flash power to underexpose. When using a generic adapter, an external pttl flash should work if the body control is set to flash-off (an apparent safeguard to avoid current draw from the body flash and hot shoe). I also have found shooting with the body flash set to -2 exposure as a master to my Metz (Canon version) in servo mode works consistently well once you find a proper power setting on the Metz. Overall, I find it quite a bit easier to work with flash on the K-01 - especially so because I can avoid having to use pTTL. Of course, it is also much easier to avoid flash with the K-01 because of its low light capabilities.

It should be noted that the body flash auto-flash setting is essentially useless; for some reason it almost never fires even in low ambient light (02 lens or adapter). Forced flash is a good option.
Lens only matters if you choose a high shutter speed.
For reference, I used Pentax adapter + DFA50 + lower than 1/250 shutter speed (what the manual said) and also tried many other setting.

I believe flash on K01 is different from the Q.
The flash circuit on K01 is similar to DSLR, but I think pentax somehow programmed the flash circuit on Q to disable aftermarket flash.
Anyone has successful experience?

03-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I already read a lot of post but I missed this one.
This is really helpful.

if you want to use a manual flash or flash trigger, you MUST set the "Flash When Retracted" to "Do Not Discharge Flash" AND you must also set the flash mode to FLASH OFF
I already did this but I think I find out the problem.
It will fires everytime on Av mode, but I have no control on shutter speed.
It will fires everytime at 1/13 speed in M mode, but not 1/20 or higher.
It will fires ONLY the first time you switched to M mode.
It will fires ONLY the first time at 1/250, after you took a pic with flash under 1/13

Last edited by MegaPower; 03-04-2013 at 06:05 PM.
03-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MegaPower Quote
I already read a lot of post but I missed this one.
This is really helpful.

if you want to use a manual flash or flash trigger, you MUST set the "Flash When Retracted" to "Do Not Discharge Flash" AND you must also set the flash mode to FLASH OFF
I already did this but I think I find out the problem.
It will fires everytime on Av mode, but I have no control on shutter speed.
It will fires everytime at 1/13 speed in M mode, but not more.
It will fires ONLY the first time you switched to M mode.
It will fires ONLY the first time at 1/250, after you took a pic with flash under 1/13
And you said you are using the Pentax brand adapter?
I only have the Pentax Flash AF540 if you would like me to test it I can try later.
03-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tested this combination:
Pentax Q
Pentax AF540
Pentax official adapter K-Q

Settings on Q:
Manual mode
Shutter speed 1/250 sec
ISO 125
Flash is retracted
Q Menu Flash settings: Flash WB 1, Flash when retracted 2, Release while charging 1
4 way control set to Flash ON

On the flash, switch is set to Green arrow (left most), Power switch set to ON (full right)

Flash fires every time when mounted on the Q hot shoe, at 1/250 sec shutter or less. The Flash works in PTTL mode, I can see the preflash then the main flash.

Let me know if you have any questions.

03-04-2013, 10:18 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't have aftermarket flash. Perhaps you can use the aftermarket in slave mode, by triggering with the Pentax flash?
03-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think this is bug for firing after the first time (ie. 2nd, 3rd...so on) it when using official K-Q adapter + aftermarket flash.

Since I want to use it for macro, I want manual control on the flash.
In this case, I cannot use manual mode in Pentax flash and my old vivitar ringflash does not have slave mode.
Need to find some other solution.

Last edited by MegaPower; 03-04-2013 at 06:26 PM.
03-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just tried this out on my Q, M lens, K-Q Pentax OEM adapter, using Sunpak PF20XD connected to camera via PC sync cord to Nikon Hotshoe to PC out adapter. Flash fires perfectly at 1/125 as long as I don't change shutter speeds. If I do change shutter speeds while all is on and connected firing becomes erratic. I haven't tried using an optical trigger or wireless trigger with this setup yet.
03-04-2013, 08:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hornet Quote
Just tried this out on my Q, M lens, K-Q Pentax OEM adapter, using Sunpak PF20XD connected to camera via PC sync cord to Nikon Hotshoe to PC out adapter. Flash fires perfectly at 1/125 as long as I don't change shutter speeds. If I do change shutter speeds while all is on and connected firing becomes erratic. I haven't tried using an optical trigger or wireless trigger with this setup yet.
I think it happens to me, too.
under 1/13, you can change as much as you can and it will work perfectly.
Between 1/20-1/250, changing some of the setting will be problematic.