Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Q sensor dynamic range

I am really surprised at how well the Q maintains detail in underexposed shots.
I shoot the Q and adapted lenses in manual mode and when changing scenes the Q display auto adjusts so I constantly forget to check the meter and reset the shutter speed.
here is an example of a shot that was under exposed, but if I had wanted to save it I could do so with just a slight hit of noise.
Luckily in this case the birdie stuck around long enough for me to adjust the shutter speed, but if this was the only shot I could get I would be OK with the ability to save it.
BTW, to date I only shoot JPG - I know that I can go to RAW and have even more latitude on these shots.

These were shot with the DA*300 at f5.6 using ISO 125. The dark pic was shot at 1/3200, the correct pic was shot at 1/400.

Comparison of original and fixed in Lightroom

Fixed shot.

Correctly exposed shot.

03-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yeah, at minimum iso there really is a lot you can do. The problems don't creep in until you crank that up

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I shoot at 125 pretty much all the time. Initial testing on higher ISO was not so great, but I haven't revisited it.
So this performance is nothing out of the ordinary? Good to know.
03-06-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I shoot at 125 pretty much all the time. Initial testing on higher ISO was not so great, but I haven't revisited it.
So this performance is nothing out of the ordinary? Good to know.
great shots larry

03-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Expose right works well too

What I found, quite by mistake on a visit to the dog park on a bright day, is that overexposure in RAW mode can be pulled back by a huge margin (3 stops or more). It was so bright that I couldn't see what the camera was going - VF could be made out to frame the shot, and that was about it. So, a very washed out ISO 1250 shot was still salvaged - it amazed me:

Q miscellany - James Robins - Powered by Phanfare

This was shot with the 02 lens using expanded ISO TAv - no idea why the metering system got so seriously fooled. Processing was LR 3.6
03-06-2013, 06:58 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pretty impressive, Larry!
03-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
great shots larry
Thanks Amy

03-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

nice job.
better to get a underexposed pic than a shook pic
03-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
What I found, quite by mistake on a visit to the dog park on a bright day, is that overexposure in RAW mode can be pulled back by a huge margin (3 stops or more). It was so bright that I couldn't see what the camera was going - VF could be made out to frame the shot, and that was about it. So, a very washed out ISO 1250 shot was still salvaged - it amazed me:

Q miscellany - James Robins - Powered by Phanfare

This was shot with the 02 lens using expanded ISO TAv - no idea why the metering system got so seriously fooled. Processing was LR 3.6
That's good info Jim and the shot looks great. I've been telling myself it's time to switch to RAW. I like your album.
03-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Pretty impressive, Larry!
I was surprised myself.
03-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MegaPower Quote
nice job.
better to get a underexposed pic than a shook pic
True that.
12-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #12
Veteran Member

That's very interesting. I've been shooting pictures of my wolfiepup and noticed with a high ISO and a crop of 50% give or take the noise factor is pretty high. Then again, I don't have lightroom. I use faststone and photoshop 7.0.

I have shot both raw and jpg and find the problem to be the same. I wonder how much is user error on my part. I've only had the Q for a week and am using it intermittently throughout the day with the 02 and 01 lenses.
12-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
That's very interesting. I've been shooting pictures of my wolfiepup and noticed with a high ISO and a crop of 50% give or take the noise factor is pretty high. Then again, I don't have lightroom. I use faststone and photoshop 7.0.

I have shot both raw and jpg and find the problem to be the same. I wonder how much is user error on my part. I've only had the Q for a week and am using it intermittently throughout the day with the 02 and 01 lenses.
With the classic Q the noise starts to creep in fairly early.

With a good denoise software you can make the shots look better but you will lose detail.

Try to keep the ISO down if possible.

The Q flash is pretty efficient and since it is offset the pictures don't look too bad, dont be afraid to try it.
12-04-2013, 09:55 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
With the classic Q the noise starts to creep in fairly early.

With a good denoise software you can make the shots look better but you will lose detail.

Try to keep the ISO down if possible.

The Q flash is pretty efficient and since it is offset the pictures don't look too bad, dont be afraid to try it.
*nods*

I've been very disappointed in super low light situations with fast moving toddlers. I feel like I've gotten better shots with my phone.....
01-13-2014, 01:47 PM   #15

Photos: Albums
like being disappointed with a boat in a desert ?!