Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Q accessories

i found these accessories pretty neat...they may have already been posted by other so sorry if this is a repeat...not to bad price wise either..if you're interested i can give you the link..the handle was on ebay and i added the washer..the monopod was on amazon..the handle screws right in to the monopod

photo5
by pearsaab, on Flickr

photo5 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

photo4
by pearsaab, on Flickr
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=136

photo3
by pearsaab, on Flickr
photo3 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

_IGP9993
by pearsaab, on Flickr

_IGP9993 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

_IGP9990
by pearsaab, on Flickr
_IGP9990 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

03-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Looks good - none of this tilts or swivels right? Why do you need the extra washer?
03-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Looks good - none of this tilts or swivels right? Why do you need the extra washer?
nothing tilts or swivels larry and the washer was needed cause the screw was too long...hmm did i just say that
03-08-2013, 06:30 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
i forgot to add there is a adapter for the monpod that would allow tilt
Amazon.com: Professional Mini Ball Head Camera Mount: Camera & Photo

03-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Being a 'mono'pod, it's rather easy to tilt without a dedicated head.
03-10-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
Being a 'mono'pod, it's rather easy to tilt without a dedicated head.
Sure, if you don't care about keeping the horizon level or the camera plumb but if having correct perspective matter to you, something like this will do the job: manfrotto 222 joystick| B&H Photo Video
03-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #7
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Sure, if you don't care about keeping the horizon level or the camera plumb but if having correct perspective matter to you, something like this will do the job: manfrotto 222 joystick| B&H Photo Video
I attached a light ballhead to my monopod in place of the pistol grip when I got a better ballhead for my tripod. Once I got the angles set I left it alone and adjust my stance accordingly.
03-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I don't shoot with monopods much, but if the aim is stability, then for me, tilt adjustment is essential, but swivel is irrelevant, so something like the Manfrotto 234 with an Arca compatible clamp is what I use (I actually have an earlier model of this basic design).

Manfrotto 234 Swivel/Tilt Monopod Head - Supports 5.5 lbs 234

I mostly use a monopod to support the weight of a camera/lens at eye level for long lengths of time, but when I want to use it for stability, I triangulate my feet with the monopod shaft, so being able to tilt the camera in relation to the monopod is needed. Ballheads are too fiddly for this application IMO.

Scott

03-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
I don't shoot with monopods much, but if the aim is stability, then for me, tilt adjustment is essential, but swivel is irrelevant, so something like the Manfrotto 234 with an Arca compatible clamp is what I use (I actually have an earlier model of this basic design).
I have the 234 and wanted to get an arca tilt head to replace it - which clamp did you add to it?
Thinking I can just add a clamp to mine as well.
Otherwise I was considering this one Professional Metal Monopod Head with Arca Type Quick Release Clamp Canon Nikon | eBay
03-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Manfrotto 234 Swivel/Tilt Monopod Head - Supports 5.5 lbs 234

I mostly use a monopod to support the weight of a camera/lens at eye level for long lengths of time, but when I want to use it for stability, I triangulate my feet with the monopod shaft, so being able to tilt the camera in relation to the monopod is needed. Ballheads are too fiddly for this application IMO.

Scott
That was my first monopod setup but the 234 only works if you have the monopod planted directly in front of you, vertical. I prefer to form a tripod with my left foot at 10 o'clock, right foot at 6 o'clock and the monopod at 2 o'clock, with the monopod leaning back towards me at a diagonal. This setup is not possible without a swivel and tilt on the head. I've also tried using a ballhead but I would need another hand to manipulate the ballhead, hold the monopod and the camera comfortably.
03-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I have the 234 and wanted to get an arca tilt head to replace it - which clamp did you add to it?
Thinking I can just add a clamp to mine as well.
Otherwise I was considering this one Professional Metal Monopod Head with Arca Type Quick Release Clamp Canon Nikon | eBay
Hi Larry,

I just looked, and mine's a 3232 (essentially the same as the 234) and it originally came with an RC2 QR which I removed and replaced with a Chinese clone Arca clamp (IIRC it was a Vanguard from Adorama, the cheapest available at the time). You need a clamp that's got a 1/4-20 or 3/8-16 threaded hole.

This one would probably work fine since it's got the bushing or you could reverse the screw in the head to use it as is.

Desmond DAC 1 50mm Arca Compatible Clamp 50mm QR Plate Tripod Ball Head New | eBay

Scott
03-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #12
Pentaxian

That was my first monopod setup but the 234 only works if you have the monopod planted directly in front of you, vertical. I prefer to form a tripod with my left foot at 10 o'clock, right foot at 6 o'clock and the monopod at 2 o'clock, with the monopod leaning back towards me at a diagonal. This setup is not possible without a swivel and tilt on the head. I've also tried using a ballhead but I would need another hand to manipulate the ballhead, hold the monopod and the camera comfortably.
Hi excanonfd,

We shoot similarly, except that I place my feet at 3 and 9 o'clock and have the monopod at 12, facing straight on to the subject, but angled back towards me. The tilt-only works fine for me. . .

Scott
03-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #13
Lens Buying Addict

Interesting how we each develop our own styles - I get yours now.

I stand right foot 5 o'clcock, left foot 10 o'clock, left shoulder pointing at the subject and jam the foot of the monopod against my right instep. Holding the camera itself, I adjust the orientation with my left hand and tighten the ball with my right. Then my left elbow braces against my rib cage while my left hand holds the monopod grip pushing the monopod against my foot.

I could always go back to the pistol grip but so far it hasn't been necessary.
03-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Hi excanonfd,

We shoot similarly, except that I place my feet at 3 and 9 o'clock and have the monopod at 12, facing straight on to the subject, but angled back towards me. The tilt-only works fine for me. . .

Scott
I tried it that way with the 234RC head but I found myself none too steady and rocking back and forth... staggering the feet allows for better balance imo.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Interesting how we each develop our own styles - I get yours now.

I stand right foot 5 o'clcock, left foot 10 o'clock, left shoulder pointing at the subject and jam the foot of the monopod against my right instep. Holding the camera itself, I adjust the orientation with my left hand and tighten the ball with my right. Then my left elbow braces against my rib cage while my left hand holds the monopod grip pushing the monopod against my foot.

I could always go back to the pistol grip but so far it hasn't been necessary.
I have the monopod's foot planted further out than the distance between my feet, and having my feet staggered at 6 and 10 o'clock there is a natural tendency to lean towards the 2 o'clock direction. Basically, the camera is falling towards me and I am leaning towards the camera which makes supporting the weight of the camera/lens combination effortless. The heaviest lens I've had on the monopod were Tamron Adaptall-2 60B and Adaptall Z-500 weighing 2,096g and 2,740g respectively, waiting for a nesting pair of bald eagles with a chick to show some exaggerated movements (I was too far away and below the nest to see much of the chick).

I have also used variations of yours and snostorm's stance in tighter quarters or shooting macro at a public garden where it wouldn't be too prudent to plant the monopod inside the flowerbed.
03-15-2013, 01:35 PM   #15
Lens Buying Addict

If it works don't fix it. eh?