Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2013, 04:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Viewfinder options

Evening all,

With the impending arrival of my Q this week, I've been reading back through all the reviews Ive previously read.
One of the main criticisms that keeps cropping up is the use of the LCD screen in sun light (I guess similar to using a phone).
I've seen and read about many options for adding an eye piece to the LCD screen, but for my mind, that ruins the diminutive size of the Q.
Pentax has their own OVF, but is seems stupidly expensive for what it is.
So what else is there?
To match the kit prime lens at least, what focal length on third party OVF's should I be looking for? 47mm? (they dont seem to exist, theyre all 35mm).
Is there such a thing as an adjustable OVF?
(The dream for me would be a generic hot-shoe mountable HDMI EVF, but hey )

03-12-2013, 04:54 AM   #2
PJ1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You need to see today's "Cap to block sunlight" thread (jon404). It does have a market!
03-12-2013, 05:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thats, ummm... one way of doing ti I guess o_0
03-12-2013, 06:21 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I find just a ball cap or my hands work for me when using native Q lenses and adapted wide 2.5 to 4mm lenses in bright sun light. I need a hood eye piece to focus adapted long lenses with a short DOF but at that point size is not an issue I have already added an adapter and a 6" or greater lens. Plus the hood helps to stabilize the camera

Hans

03-12-2013, 06:51 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I wear a wide-brimmed hat anyway to protect my scalp from the sun (Tilley Hat) so in most situations the LCD is quite visible. The only problem I've encounterd is when the sun reflects off my face or clothing from the side onto the LCD late in the afternoon. When that (rarely) happens I drape a large black microfiber cloth to block the light.
03-14-2013, 11:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Look on ebay for a Tele-Wide finder. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Photography-Shoe-Mount-Rangefinder-Camera-Te...item19d9eeb6f3
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/176194-external-viewfinder-recom...ml#post2111707
03-16-2013, 07:10 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Lurch Quote
Evening all,

With the impending arrival of my Q this week, I've been reading back through all the reviews Ive previously read.
One of the main criticisms that keeps cropping up is the use of the LCD screen in sun light (I guess similar to using a phone).
I've seen and read about many options for adding an eye piece to the LCD screen, but for my mind, that ruins the diminutive size of the Q.
Pentax has their own OVF, but is seems stupidly expensive for what it is.
So what else is there?
To match the kit prime lens at least, what focal length on third party OVF's should I be looking for? 47mm? (they dont seem to exist, theyre all 35mm).
Is there such a thing as an adjustable OVF?
(The dream for me would be a generic hot-shoe mountable HDMI EVF, but hey )
Look for a Voigtlander 50mm optical viewfinder. Try The Photo Village or CameraQuest Home Page

Look for the Pentax optical viewfinder for the Q. In stock at Pentax's online store. PentaxWebstore.com:Viewfinder O-VF1 47mm Viewfinder O-VF1 47mm

Look for a Leica 50mm or 5cm optical viewfinder. They are frequently available on ebay.
03-16-2013, 07:18 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I got a Tele-Wide Finder on eBay for $19.99. A Yashica Rangefinder camera, two conversion lenses in a case with the Finder and an EverReady case for the camera also came in the box. No flash, though.

QuoteOriginally posted by GXRUser Quote
Look for a Voigtlander 50mm optical viewfinder. Try The Photo Village or CameraQuest Home Page

Look for the Pentax optical viewfinder for the Q. In stock at Pentax's online store. PentaxWebstore.com:Viewfinder O-VF1 47mm Viewfinder O-VF1 47mm

Look for a Leica 50mm or 5cm optical viewfinder. They are frequently available on ebay.
I considered it but the price is a bit steep for something to use only when the sun is on the LCD and I have the 01 Prime mounted. I bought the Q>K Converter and the tripod foot ($300 all-in) but that is a permanent attachment to my second Q.

Just sayin'