Photos: Gallery
Review: Manfrotto Unica I camera bag and Nano III pouch for my Q-10

Manfrotto Unica I

QuoteQuote:
Model: MB SM390-1BC:
Outer Dimensions: 15 × depth 34 × height 26cm width
Inside dimension: 12 × depth 28 × height 20cm width
0.52kg: Weight
Recently for my birthday my wife got a new Pentax Q-10 for me. What a great little camera! Well, next comes where to carry it. Since it is a rather small camera, it fits fine in my current messenger bag, but the protection that I wanted wasn't quite there. I am replacing my Knog Leading Dog bike/messenger bag. So, after much consideration, I looked at several bags. I really do not like big and bulky bags. I wanted something that was similar in size to the messenger that I carry now and this one fit the bill. Overall, it is the same length as my previous bag but the with is slightly larger so this was a good fit. Manfrotto is a great company and they have a really nice line up on bags. Problem is that they are mostly all too big for what I need, with the exception of this one. And this one is hard to find. According to Manfrotto, and everywhere I looked, all I saw in the Unica line was the III, V, and VII. All of which are huge!! Then I stumbled on the Unica I. Saw a video of it for the Asian market, HK I believe.. Anyway, I looked, and sure enough, the Japan market has the Unica I version. Which is the smallest in the Unica line up. Since my Q-10 is so small, and my requirements for a not so large bag, this was great.

The bag itself is very durable. It is made of a water repellent nylon and feels very solid. The velcro is very strong as well. It has a very sturdy metal clasp just to keep things in place. The inside has lots of room as well. The removable separator on the inside had two parts. The one you see on the right of my bag, was I suppose for the main camera. And the one on the left was meant for the top part of the camera, however, to make it a little more useful, I turned that cover separator into another side separator. I think it works better this way, and I can still use the red flap to cover the top of the camera. So, win, win.
There is also a rear pocket that can fit a small netbook or in ipad. The outer most zippered pocket has several storage options. I currently am using it for just daily things. The black pocket labeled(pocket) is technically for Manfrotto's pocket tripod, which I will be getting soon. Also, everything is accessible from the top by zipper for easy access. so you don't have to open the strap and lift the cover every time you need to quickly get in the bag. This was a big buying point for me, as I constantly have to take the train here in Tokyo, so getting in at my wallet for my train pass is much simpler this way. Before, I would have to lift the flap every time with my previous bag.
Basically my uses for this will be an everyday bag, so the open space you see to the left of the photo will be for my wallet, phone, etc... Still with enough room for camera and spare lenses.

Since the Q-10 is an interchangeable lens camera, however small, the Unica I has just enough room for what I needed, and just enough for a couple extra things I carry on a daily basis. Currently I only have the (02)regular zoom, and (06)telephoto zoom. It has ample room for a lens on the camera and if I wanted, all 4 other of the Pentax Q lens lineup would have no problems fitting in here.

I also wanted a little protection for my lenses, so I opted to get a little storage case to fit inside the bag for my lenses. I went with the
Nano III camera pouch. I know it is a little extra work to get the lenses out, but to me, the added security of the lenses being in one place and not just bouncing around was worth it.
It was a great size for two lenses side by side and has a nice pocket for memory cards or in my case, a remote.

Again, just as durable as the Unica, and a great match to the Unica. The Nano III was a great choice.

Nano III camera pouch

QuoteQuote:
Model: MB SCP-3BC
Inside dimension (height × width × depth): 11.5 × 4.5 × 7.5cm
Outer dimensions (height × width × depth): thirteen × 5.5 × 8.5
Weight: 0.1kg

03-14-2013, 05:22 AM   #2

Original Poster
Sorry if some of my terms were general. I know this is a camera forum, but I posted my review on another forum I visit, so, I gave more detailed description of camera and lenses and such.
03-15-2013, 02:52 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice review. Lot of info with good illustrations. The Unica looks like a very good match for the Q system. Had no idea M was making bags. Will try to find one to check out. Wish they were easier to locate. Good job.
thanks
barondla
03-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks for writing this up.

Do you have the 06 lens? I'm looking at the Nano III as a lens case as well and I'm trying to determine if the 06 will fit. It looks like its a close call due to the height of the 06.

03-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveInPA Quote
Thanks for writing this up.

Do you have the 06 lens? I'm looking at the Nano III as a lens case as well and I'm trying to determine if the 06 will fit. It looks like its a close call due to the height of the 06.
Yes, I have the 6 inside the Nano in the pic. Both the 2 and 6 will fit perfectly side by side in there. The flaps on the sides also act as a little extra protection for the top of the lens.
03-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by phoenixstu Quote
Yes, I have the 6 inside the Nano in the pic. Both the 2 and 6 will fit perfectly side by side in there. The flaps on the sides also act as a little extra protection for the top of the lens.
I'm so glad you posted this. Because I ordered it yesterday as part of a large Amazon shopping cart that I had been accumulating.

Thanks for writing this up! I had been looking for something like this for the past month.
03-16-2013, 08:12 PM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
Cool beans! I am sure you will love it!