Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax Q with C-Mount lenses

Hi, I'm going of on a weird trip with this but I was wondering how would Pentax Q react with long-ish and fast-ish CCTV lenses for photographing celestial objects ? I'm asking this because I love the idea of 1000mm f 2.8 equiv. lens (of a 200mm f 2.8 "normal" lens) but having a tiny sensor, Pentax Q & Q10, it would be even more "efficient" (in gathering light to keep the ISO reasonable and the shutter speed useful) at gathering light a 1000mm f 1.2 or 1.4 eqiuv. with a C-mount lens.

I'm not looking for the best IQ (certainly not NASA's Hubble telescope level) but for observing, studying and capturing (for my self mostly) of the Moon, planets or other "out-of-this-atmosphere" stuff (?!?). Even recording a 1080p video of Mars (even if it would be a red "blub") or Jupiter would be satisfying enough (without cursing my self for not aspiring, as a kid, to be NASA scientist or a astronaut, damn you AXE commercial).

I know I could use a Web cam to achieve the same goal but it would be more useful, easier and more versatile if I could do it with a Q ( not with James Bond's Q ).

03-16-2013, 02:54 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Well a 1000mm is not much for objects in space. Attached is a shot with my 300mm (1650mm effective focal length) of the moon full frame, (no crop) just to give you some idea of what you might want.

Hans
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
03-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
This is the closest I got with at 210mm f 8 (420mm on my Panasonic G2) and croped, and processed and it's hmmmm (?!?) not bad (?!?) but not (close) enough. For shots of the Moon somewhere in between 600-800 would be enough (and aperture as small as possible without going bellow 1/250s because it moves very fast at very high magnification on the night sky and it's bright enough that you could, should, use lowest possible ISO, I used 100), but for smaller objects you have to go beyound 1000mm, for Mars about 2000mm but for Jupiter you can go even a bit shorter because its huge, compared to Mars, BUT the most important thing to get is as much light as possible because they are faint, very faint, and long shutter speeds are not optional (unless you want a streak of light instead of a spot) and high ISO is not all that capable the Q. Don't get me wrong the Q does a very good job beyond ISO 1600, for it's size, but on black background with faint and small subject and with a CCTV lens? At least it would be cheaper then Orion 50" Dobsonian telescope ... and ridiculously more portable.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-G2  Photo 
03-16-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Check out the Q astro club

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/212387-astro-q-club.html

03-16-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RaZZ3R Quote
Hi, I'm going of on a weird trip with this but I was wondering how would Pentax Q react with long-ish and fast-ish CCTV lenses for photographing celestial objects ? I'm asking this because I love the idea of 1000mm f 2.8 equiv. lens (of a 200mm f 2.8 "normal" lens) but having a tiny sensor, Pentax Q & Q10, it would be even more "efficient" (in gathering light to keep the ISO reasonable and the shutter speed useful) at gathering light a 1000mm f 1.2 or 1.4 eqiuv. with a C-mount lens.

I'm not looking for the best IQ (certainly not NASA's Hubble telescope level) but for observing, studying and capturing (for my self mostly) of the Moon, planets or other "out-of-this-atmosphere" stuff (?!?). Even recording a 1080p video of Mars (even if it would be a red "blub") or Jupiter would be satisfying enough (without cursing my self for not aspiring, as a kid, to be NASA scientist or a astronaut, damn you AXE commercial).

I know I could use a Web cam to achieve the same goal but it would be more useful, easier and more versatile if I could do it with a Q ( not with James Bond's Q ).
Don't go for CCTV lenses go for ex TV camera lenses which have much more resolution and are much better lenses, they are often C mount, they can be quite pricey (understatement).

The normal photography lenses will work better than CCTV lenses, this is an image from an older Sigma 70 - 300mm bought off eBay for 36.00 a few years ago with a cheap Q to K adapter, un-cropped Raw file strait from the camera with just a little levels and high pass sharpening applied.

[ur://www.flickr.com/photos/chris-judge/8289130652/][/url]
[ur://www.flickr.com/photos/chris-judge/8289130652/]Moon_Small_01[/url] by [ur://www.flickr.com/people/chris-judge/]screwdriver1[/url], on Flickr

A better lens e.g. the Pentax 300mm f4 (not cheap) would give even more impressive results.

I suppose you can think of the Q as a high resolution web cam when used this way, except it has a screen, records to an SD card built in, can shoot in Raw and can be used as a normal camera, they are far cheaper than 3Mb and 4Mb web cams sold for the purpose. At 99 body only here in the UK at the moment it has to be a bargain.

Chris