Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
03-19-2013, 09:24 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Hey Scott,

If I understand correctly, the second screw would also have to be nearly 1/4" in diameter. The slots on lens plates (for their mounting screw) are only slightly smaller than this, so anything much smaller wouldn't permit rotation. I'm not sure the size of the clamp permits two such holes. If I misunderstood, please let me know...
Hi panoguy,

It would work. See the way the plate is drilled with 4 holes at the corners and two down the middle:

The holes will obviously fit in the area of the bottom of the clamp part. Add a screw like the safety screw in the smaller diameter hole, and you'd have a non-rotation peg if the screw head fits in the slot on the plate. If the head of the screw doesn't fit tight in the slot, that's fine, I'll either find one that does, or mod the closest one to work. The smaller screw would be tightened to the clamp before the clamp is attached to the plate and the head would act as a non-rotation pin on any Arca compatible plate that has a slot (which most long plates have)

I have quite a few Arca plates, and none of them are drilled and tapped for the four holes of the clamp as shown. This mod would allow me to use any plate with the clamp.

Scott

03-19-2013, 11:25 PM   #32
Pentaxian

I'd buy one as well. Great idea.
03-20-2013, 06:16 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
I don't want to hijack the thread but I just received my Pentax OEM K 2 Q adapter and have noticed an overall increase in sharpness of my images using K and M lenses. I believe that a slight camera movement even at fast shutter speeds causes a slight shift in scans of the rolling shutter causing a mismatch in scan lines thus reducing the overall sharpness of images with my old shutterless adapter when hand holding. That is the only thing I can think of to explain what I am seeing. I guess what I am trying to say is if you are planing to hand hold old lenses you may want to consider the Pentax adapter.

Count me in for a foot

Hans
Good Morning Hans,

Now that is excellent news, and does help to take the sting out of spending $249 for an adapter to go on a $200 camera! I have been just doddling on just what I am going to do for the adapter (in a positive sense - waiting and trying to make a knowledgeable decision, I guess you could say). I have just been using the 01 lens since getting the camera, playing with it to see what it can do...

03-20-2013, 09:02 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Two Arca-Swiss ones for me please.

03-20-2013, 11:13 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Okay folks! I've got the information you are looking for (mostly).
  • Fanotec will soon be taking orders directly by email, with Paypal payment. I'll post the email to do so very soon!
  • Shipping (registered air mail) will be between $5-$10 (US), depending on where you are relative to Hong Kong, and how much you order.
  • They are not in production yet, but with enough interest (and I think we have it) they could be ready within 30 days.
  • Shorter lens plates are also being considered, specifically 70mm and 85mm (which makes them more useful on other mounts).
  • If you want more than one lens plate set (different lengths?), the second one will be at a different (non-package) price. No word on what that price is yet.

Like I said before, what I'm showing is the prototype, and the final product will probably have more "polish" (and at least a smaller knob). Fanotec is very particular about the quality of their gear, and this is no different!
03-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I first thought that this would be a gread addition to my existing Q kit and then I thought that it might also be good for mounting larger lenses on a regular camera/tripod (thinking K5 and a Siggy 150-500).
Not sure if that makes sense though.

In a nutshell, an interesting solution for the Q "foot-adapter" and perhpas interesting as well for other applications.

JP
03-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I first thought that this would be a gread addition to my existing Q kit and then I thought that it might also be good for mounting larger lenses on a regular camera/tripod (thinking K5 and a Siggy 150-500).
Not sure if that makes sense though.

In a nutshell, an interesting solution for the Q "foot-adapter" and perhpas interesting as well for other applications.

JP
As it is it would only work for the Q adapter and lenses DA * 300 , 60-250.

The attachment method is specific to those units so not sure how you could use it for anything else.

03-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
As it is it would only work for the Q adapter and lenses DA * 300 , 60-250.

The attachment method is specific to those units so not sure how you could use it for anything else.
Thanks.

I thought I'd ask... just in case.

JP
03-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
I have quite a few Arca plates, and none of them are drilled and tapped for the four holes of the clamp as shown. This mod would allow me to use any plate with the clamp.
I understand, and I will ask about this possibility!

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Thanks.

I thought I'd ask... just in case.
The 100mm lens plate does work with the Siggy 150-500mm with the ridges installed (I tested this before I shipped that lens off!), but that requires detaching the Pentax-style clamp from the plate. So... you can't really have 1 clamp and 1 plate and be ready for either a DA* or Sigma lens at a moment's notice, but you can have a plate that works with either one, and the Pentax Q adapter!

Last edited by panoguy; 03-20-2013 at 07:42 PM.
03-20-2013, 08:14 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh I see JP was asking about re using the plate.

Actually if it is the same as the 50-500 the lens tripod handle/mount is arca swiss compatible without the need for a plate.

I have a long plate on mine anyway.
03-21-2013, 09:24 AM   #41

Okay folks! I've got the information you are looking for (mostly).
  • Fanotec will soon be taking orders directly by email, with Paypal payment. I'll post the email to do so very soon!
  • Shipping (registered air mail) will be between $5-$10 (US), depending on where you are relative to Hong Kong, and how much you order.
  • They are not in production yet, but with enough interest (and I think we have it) they could be ready within 30 days.
  • Shorter lens plates are also being considered, specifically 70mm and 85mm (which makes them more useful on other mounts).
  • If you want more than one lens plate set (different lengths?), the second one will be at a different (non-package) price. No word on what that price is yet.
Like I said before, what I'm showing is the prototype, and the final product will probably have more "polish" (and at least a smaller knob). Fanotec is very particular about the quality of their gear, and this is no different!
What will happen if Fanotec determines there is not enough interest to proceed? Can we assess the level of interest on our end prior to actually placing orders and commiting funds?
03-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Flinty Quote
What will happen if Fanotec determines there is not enough interest to proceed? Can we assess the level of interest on our end prior to actually placing orders and commiting funds?
I think that's the reason they aren't taking orders or asking for funds yet. From what I gather, they are monitoring this thread to gauge interest. The cost to develop the product is one thing, but the cost to produce them and then only sell 10 out of 50 or 100 is a bit more. I'll keep you all posted!
03-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #43

I think that's the reason they aren't taking orders or asking for funds yet. From what I gather, they are monitoring this thread to gauge interest. The cost to develop the product is one thing, but the cost to produce them and then only sell 10 out of 50 or 100 is a bit more. I'll keep you all posted!
I will order a unit with one of the shorter 70mm or 85mm plates, or longer if that's the only offering. But I'm definitely in!

Last edited by Flinty; 03-21-2013 at 10:44 AM.
03-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #44

I'm in for one with a shorter plate, 50, or 70mm long
03-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Hi panoguy,

If they want a better gauge of how many units might possibly sell, then they should include current owners of the DA* 300 and DA* 60-250 to see if some would like a nicely built third party Arca Swiss compatible foot. I'm very certain that the owners of these lenses significantly outnumber OEM K to Q adapter owners by orders of magnitude. I don't own either lens, but this clamp would be significantly easier to store and carry if not attached to a plate, and for me, that makes a real difference, so if there are more out there who value carrying convenience, that could potentially add quite a few to those who might be interested. I think that the response so far from some members here who own one or both of the DA* long teles could be indicative of a possible broader appeal for this item than just the Qusers.

Scott