Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
Forum Member

Q Shutter Count?

It looks to me that the Q advances the "Shutter Count" for each file generation - so if I'm doing RAW+ the shutter count advances by two for each shutter trip. It also looks like the Shutter Count is reset to zero with a firmware version update. Can anyone confirm this? I'm guessing that the "Shutter Count" only counts (or double counts) the electronic shutter. If so, is anything done to record the number of activations of the in-the-lens leaf shutter? It seems to me that the Q shutter count has little practical use as a wear indication, if it has no mechanical significance, and if it is reset by firmware updates - thoughts?

03-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It sounds like you are talking about the image file count - not the shutter count.

Check Shutter Count & Camera Manufacture Date Online - EXIF Reader
03-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Nope. I made this determination using EXIFTool and EXIFToolGUI - off-line versions of the tool you provided a link to. When I run EXIFTool on Q images, the jpeg and dng versions of a particular shot share the same file number, but the shutter counts differ by 1; when I do the same thing with a pair of K-5 files the dng and jpg files (which share a common IMAGE number) also share a common shutter count number. I went to using a local version of EXIFTool because, unlike the web based version, it extracts data from DGN files as well as JPGs.
03-21-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure how this matters given the Q has not physical shutter.

03-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I agree - except for those lenses with a built-in (physical) shutter. I got to thinking about this when I saw mention of the "shutter count" for a used Q... essentially a nearly worthless datum! It might be nice to be able to get some sort of indication as to how many times a particular in-lens shutter has been "activated" when buying a used lens...