Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #1

Is exFAT format supported by Q ?

Good day to all,

Am a newbie here (just got my Q last weekend )

I tried the NTFS format (on a 32G SDHC) and Q says something like "card not formatted"

I am wondering is exFAT format supported by Q ?
Am gonna get a SDXC card if the answer is 'yes'

Am thinking it will be worthwhile to get a 64G card to shoot some longer-minutes videos once in a while

03-22-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Use the camera menu to format the card so it can use it.
The manual lists the supported card types.
03-22-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by marlboro123 Quote
Good day to all,

I tried the NTFS format (on a 32G SDHC) and Q says something like "card not formatted"

Am thinking it will be worthwhile to get a 64G card to shoot some longer-minutes videos once in a while
I believe the answer to your question is "yes". I have a SDXC card that I've used in just about every current Pentax over the past couple of months and it turns out that it's formatted to use exFAT. Never bothered checking before reading this post, though

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-23-2013, 04:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Do you actually hit the file size limit?
Most likely you hit the time limit so that the camera stays a photo camera instead of video camera, that wuld be 29 minutes.

03-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks, guys...

Adam and Anvh, you guys are right, Q does support exFAT format and time-limit is hit instead of size-limit... which is 25 minutes (which will take up about 2.5G under FullHD mode)

I won't be using a camera as a video camera, but it does handy work when comes to short movies during gatherings

Just discovered that size & time is not a main issue now... but the battery & temperature !!
a fully charged battery is just good enough for two-25-minutes-recording !! hahahaaa...

btw, i got a "temperature" kind of indicator shown on somewhere left side of LCD (underneath "MF mode" indicator)
but i couldn't find this indicator anywhere in the user manual... probably i overlook, will flip the user manual again...
Q's body is hot, battery is hot, and so is the SD card after my two-25-minutes-recording...
i guess Q does get "high fever" for video recordings !!
03-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

They just arent made for long filming sesions, it's quite amazing they keep up with 50 minutes.
My K5 stops after about 7 to 8 minutes because of the heat.

For the shorts i'm making thats more then enough though.
03-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by marlboro123 Quote
Good day to all,

Never format a memory card on a computer, the file systems are totally different. Memory cards aren't FAT (File Allocation Table) compatible, which needs all the memory to be visible to the device

Use the camera (and only the camera) to format the card for that camera, a different camera or device needs to be formatted in their menu system.

In a camera memory cards used paged memory, and are controlled by the DCIM (Digital Camera Image Management) file that's re-newed when you format in camera. The DCIM file keeps a record of where in the memory map each image or video begins and ends. Without this file your camera doesn't know where to place the next image.
03-26-2013, 01:49 AM   #8

Original Poster
Chris, thanks for the tips, will format the memory card using the camera from now on

03-26-2013, 03:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJ Quote
Never format a memory card on a computer, the file systems are totally different. Memory cards aren't FAT (File Allocation Table) compatible, which needs all the memory to be visible to the device

Use the camera (and only the camera) to format the card for that camera, a different camera or device needs to be formatted in their menu system.

In a camera memory cards used paged memory, and are controlled by the DCIM (Digital Camera Image Management) file that's re-newed when you format in camera. The DCIM file keeps a record of where in the memory map each image or video begins and ends. Without this file your camera doesn't know where to place the next image.
Pretty sure this isn't the case, i've often format the card with the computer without a problem.
FAT = FAT, there are variations of FAT indeed but they are all holding the same rules. And memory cards are FAT formatted by the camera.

DCIM folder is automatically created when you put an empty card inside the camera and there are no hidden files inside that.
Even my telephone has a DCIM folder, it's really just a folder.