Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #151
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pickone Quote
Thanks, I tried to use it using the instructions but I can't get it to update to anything, it does not recognize the updates. My files are downloaded as zip files, tried unzipped and zipped, and I have followed the the instructions of formatting a new card and hitting the right arrow once you see the version you have on the screen and nothing happens
1) Download file. Double-check it is the right one. (It isn't for a lens that isn't on the camera or a different camera.

2) Unzip it. The .bin file is the one you want

3) Copy file to SD Card -- *root* directory (no sub-directory, so if your card is G:, then it should appear at G:/firmwarefile.bin, not at G:/DCIM/firmwarefile.bin or anywhere else.

4) Put the card in the camera. Make sure you have a fresh battery installed.

5) Turn on, go to firmware menu, right arrow, blah blah -- it should be obvious at this point...

04-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #152
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You need to run the unzipped file to unzip the actual firmware if its an extra zipped one.
04-12-2013, 06:17 PM   #153
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sorry... maybe I should have unzipped it first & just uploaded the .bin file. :-/

If you keep having issues, let me know & I'll do that.
04-12-2013, 08:46 PM   #154
Forum Member

Could you do just the bin file because I have a bigger problem that I a program called VLC has corrupted a lot of my files. It has renamed it as VLC media file along with a bunch of other files. Deleted the VLC program, tried to remove file associations in regedit but still the problem exists. If I had the straight BIn file it might help, thanks.

04-12-2013, 08:47 PM   #155
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Sorry... maybe I should have unzipped it first & just uploaded the .bin file. :-/

If you keep having issues, let me know & I'll do that.
The KX and the Q are my Pentax cameras too.
04-12-2013, 08:57 PM   #156
Pentaxian

Could you do just the bin file because I have a bigger problem that I a program called VLC has corrupted a lot of my files. It has renamed it as VLC media file along with a bunch of other files. Deleted the VLC program, tried to remove file associations in regedit but still the problem exists. If I had the straight BIn file it might help, thanks.
It hasn't corrupted them, it just thinks it is a media file and is trying to play it. VLC will not alter your files. Just do a straight copy from the hard drive -- don't try to "open" the file...
04-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #157
Forum Member

I am not try to play it, I just unzip it and it says it is a VLC. bin file, I copy it to the card and the camera acts like it is not there. I am on the page which shows the 1.00 version and I hit the right arrow and nothing happens.
04-12-2013, 09:44 PM   #158
Pentaxian

I am not try to play it, I just unzip it and it says it is a VLC. bin file, I copy it to the card and the camera acts like it is not there. I am on the page which shows the 1.00 version and I hit the right arrow and nothing happens.
Yeah, seems like you are copying it to wrong place. In any case, VLC has nothing to do with it -- .bin is a registered file type for that player and so the icon will be that, but it means nothing and affects nothing. (I also have VLC, and no troubles with my firmware files.)

Are you copying direct to camera with USB cable, or do you have a card reader on your computer, copying it there, and then putting card in camera?

04-12-2013, 09:46 PM   #159
Forum Member

I am copying to a new formatted by camera SD card, should I use the USB cable?
04-12-2013, 10:01 PM   #160
Pentaxian

I am copying to a new formatted by camera SD card, should I use the USB cable?
No, straight copy is easier.

At this point we need to ask some really stupid questions to cover the basics, so I apologize:

-- You have a plain Q, right, not a Q10?

-- The filename of the file you are copying ought to be: "fwdc601p.bin" Right?

-- You ARE putting the card in the camera after you copy it, eh?

When you go to the firmware menu, if it can't find a proper firmware file, it will look like pic#1 below (expect yours will say 1.00 instead of 1.11). If it does find a file, it will look like pic#2 below, and you can hit the right arrow to go to update screen. Which screen does yours look like?
Attached Images

04-12-2013, 10:14 PM   #161
Forum Member

a plain Q, the right screen, that is the file I am copying to the card and putting in the card door before going to the shown screen. I tried plugging the camera in but it turns off after a few seconds so the card must be the way to go.
04-12-2013, 10:33 PM   #162
Forum Member

It finally worked, I did a drag and drop rather than a send to from the download file, nothing different, thanks a lot 1:30 am, time to go to sleep
04-12-2013, 10:38 PM   #163
Pentaxian

It finally worked, I did a drag and drop rather than a send to from the download file, nothing different, thanks a lot 1:30 am, time to go to sleep
Send to? Yeah, don't use that....
04-15-2013, 11:21 PM   #164
Forum Member

At the moment, the jp site says 1.11 is not available at this time, and there is nowhere to click to d/l v1.10, which is all I need to use my K-Adaptor properly. Anyone have a copy they can send me? Zip or just the .bin file.
pentaxian@mac.com
04-16-2013, 12:21 AM   #165
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Retired Pentaxian Quote
At the moment, the jp site says 1.11 is not available at this time, and there is nowhere to click to d/l v1.10, which is all I need to use my K-Adaptor properly. Anyone have a copy they can send me? Zip or just the .bin file.
You can still get it from Pentax. http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/digital/firmware/q_v110.zip

And if anyone wants 1.01 that's available as well. http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/digital/firmware/Q_E101M.zip

And of course 1.11 is actually still available too. http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/digital/firmware/q_v111.zip