Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
04-06-2013, 06:34 AM   #121
ebk
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I have the zip download, but haven't used it yet.
Think I'll wait a bit to see if they re-offer it, bug free.
i installed the firmware.
made a video and pic's on the p and aut,
untill now nothing wrong.

04-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #122

QuoteOriginally posted by ebk Quote
i installed the firmware.
made a video and pic's on the p and aut,
untill now nothing wrong.
Are you able to shot with the "Tone Expansion" filter and are your results what they should be? I'm still hesitant to install it...
04-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #123
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Croneberg Quote
Are you able to shot with the "Tone Expansion" filter and are your results what they should be? I'm still hesitant to install it...
My tone Expansion filter is gone to monotone after the FW update, oh well I didn't use it anyway

Hans
04-07-2013, 04:56 AM   #124
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Installed V1.11 on my Q which had a shutter count of 4.

I continued shooting on the same card and my file numbering kept going from there 5,6,7 .... etc

PhotoME doesnt seem to recognise the data and give the actual "shutter" count so i dont know if it was reset or not.

04-07-2013, 05:27 AM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
Installed V1.11 on my Q which had a shutter count of 4.
y file numbering kept going from there 5,6,7 .... etc

PhotoME doesnt seem to recognise the data and give the actual "shutter" count so i dont know if it was reset or not.
Photome can only read shutter count from RAW files.
04-07-2013, 06:13 AM   #126
Veteran Member

I see that FW 1.11 has been pulled from the US site without explanation, no notes it's just missing from the site.

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
You can check the shutter count here. see link

https://www.pentaxforums.com/pages/check-shutter-count-exif.html

The 1.11 firmware is still available here

https://www.pentaxforums.com/news/pentax-q-firmware-111-released.html

Hans

Last edited by hnikesch; 04-07-2013 at 06:22 AM.
04-07-2013, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #127
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned else where but Pentax Canada still has FW 1.11 on their site. I haven't come across any bugs myself and the focus is so improved they could have taken every other feature out tf the camera and I would still be happy

PENTAX RICOH IMAGING CANADA INC. | PENTAX Firmware Update Software for Q

04-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
oh yes of course, ok then....

file IMGP0001.dng is shutter count "2" with v1.10
I only took 4 test shots before going to v1.11 so I'd guess that the shutter count would be 4 less than the file number if it was reset.

file IMGP0104.dng, the last one says shutter count only 52. ??? odd.
Doesn't matter. Camera shuttercount is pretty irrelavent since it has no shutter in the body anyway.

It is nice and quick with v1.11, even indoors (at least with the 01 lens), I haven't tried the 02 yet.
04-07-2013, 02:09 PM   #129
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Painter Quote
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned else where but Pentax Canada still has FW 1.11 on their site. I haven't come across any bugs myself and the focus is so improved they could have taken every other feature out tf the camera and I would still be happy

PENTAX RICOH IMAGING CANADA INC. | PENTAX Firmware Update Software for Q
Maybe a dumb question, but the Canadian download instructions are incomplete. The self-extracting file contains two .bin files: fwdc601p.bin and fwdc601p.bin.cpgz. Are both to be uploaded to the camera or, if only the first, what is the second? If both are used, does the sequence of loading matter? v 101 had only one such file for the camera, plus a second for a separate installation for the standard lens and another for the standard zoom.

Last edited by penolta; 04-07-2013 at 02:32 PM.
04-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by penolta Quote
Maybe a dumb question, but the Canadian download instructions are incomplete. The self-extracting file contains two .bin files: fwdc601p.bin and fwdc601p.bin.cpgz. Are both to be uploaded to the camera or, if only the first, what is the second? If both are used, does the sequence of loading matter? v 101 had only one such file for the camera, plus a second for a separate installation for the standard lens and another for the standard zoom.

Only the fwdc601p.bin file is used

Check the properties of the file, if its created Tuesday, ‎March ‎12, ‎2013, ‏‎1:55:40 PM it's version 1.11 ~ if it's created Tuesday, ‎October ‎23, ‎2012, ‏‎4:34:39 AM it's version 1.10

Hans

Last edited by hnikesch; 04-07-2013 at 03:02 PM.
04-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #131
Forum Member

v.1.11

Thanks, Hans. It is correct as is. I will just ignore the second file. Evidently the cpgz file is an archive file created today with the download.
04-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #132

le question

Incoming newbie question:

I just purchased a Pentax Q. Coming from simple point-and-shoot land, I'm learning a lot from the manual and from here. I didn't know the firmware was updatable until happening upon this forum. My camera still has firmware version 1.0. I've been reading about version 1.11 being pulled. So, my question is, is it safe/wise to just use the 1.01 and/or 1.10 firmware? Nothing *seems* wrong with the camera as-is, and I don't want to flash firmware that will cripple my camera.

I may try to update the camera and lens tonight.

I found a link and downloaded the 1.11 firmware since most people are saying nothing is wrong with it and it improves autofocus speed. I may just use it instead.
04-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #133
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by yourbrokenoven Quote
Incoming newbie question:

I just purchased a Pentax Q. Coming from simple point-and-shoot land, I'm learning a lot from the manual and from here. I didn't know the firmware was updatable until happening upon this forum. My camera still has firmware version 1.0. I've been reading about version 1.11 being pulled. So, my question is, is it safe/wise to just use the 1.01 and/or 1.10 firmware? Nothing *seems* wrong with the camera as-is, and I don't want to flash firmware that will cripple my camera.

I may try to update the camera and lens tonight.

I found a link and downloaded the 1.11 firmware since most people are saying nothing is wrong with it and it improves autofocus speed. I may just use it instead.
Unless you shut down your camera while it's updating the firmware itself, you're not going to brick it. Generally speaking, the newer the firmware, the more stable your camera will be.

The v1.1 firmware for the Q is a particularly worthwhile update, as it adds focus peaking as well as support for the Q to K mount adapter and shake reduction with adapted lenses.

IDK why Pentax took down 1.11 (it probably has a trivial bug or something like that), but you can grab v1.10 using this link:
http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/digital/firmware/q_v110.zip

Installation instructions:
Pentax Q Firmware 1.11 Released - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Unless you shut down your camera while it's updating the firmware itself, you're not going to brick it. Generally speaking, the newer the firmware, the more stable your camera will be.

The v1.1 firmware for the Q is a particularly worthwhile update, as it adds focus peaking as well as support for the Q to K mount adapter and shake reduction with adapted lenses.

IDK why Pentax took down 1.11 (it probably has a trivial bug or something like that), but you can grab v1.10 using this link:
http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/digital/firmware/q_v110.zip

Installation instructions:
Pentax Q Firmware 1.11 Released - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com
1.11 at least resets the shutter count (nothing to worry about) and breaks one filter (expanded tone or something) but I never use them anyway.
04-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #135
Veteran Member

You really need to be shooting RAW to get the best out of the Q (and it's REALLY GOOD!) So filters and fancy effects are not even a concern, performance is. And with the 1.11 the camera performs extremely well....