Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2013, 06:51 AM   #1
Forum Member

Backing up User Settings (cross processing)

So I've got a cross processing setting saved in my user presets that I really like. It took hundreds of random attempts to discover it. I would like to be able to back up my user settings so I may update the OS, but I don't want to lose my user presets. Is it possible to back these up somehow?

Last edited by verdigris; 03-28-2013 at 07:22 AM.
03-28-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

pen & paper .. lol
03-28-2013, 08:07 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Where can I look to find the cross processing settings so that I can write them down. I certainly don't think there is any place I could type them back in. This is pretty frustrating as one has become my goto processing for "black and white" low light pix. Perhaps if I make a jpeg there is info saved in the file that I can use to apply in silkypix?
03-28-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

i've found it easiest to take a pic, then when you look at it push the <info> until you see all the settings .. it's not entirely intuitive at all, now i'll have to redo it again though i am thank full that Pentax is supporting the Q line ..

03-28-2013, 09:16 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
When I do that INFO tells me I used the "My3" cross processing setting but does not give info on the settings that reproduce "My3" cross processing.
03-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

idk .. try putting the mode dial back to '.' and see if it shows it? maybe somebody knows if settings can exported somehow?
03-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by verdigris Quote
So I've got a cross processing setting saved in my user presets that I really like. It took hundreds of random attempts to discover it. I would like to be able to back up my user settings so I may update the OS, but I don't want to lose my user presets. Is it possible to back these up somehow?
With the K-01, I can save cross processing settings based on a RAW file made with the camera (not sure I can do it based on a JPEG) to one of the three custom slots (My1, My2 and My3).

Maybe the same can be done with the Q (which is on my wishlist).

This is how I would do it with my K-01:
  1. Make a photo with each of the custom settings (My1, My2 and My3). In RAW (?). Set the SD card used for this apart (just as a safety measure).
  2. Update the firmware with another SD card;
  3. Reinsert the SD card with the three DNG files made in step 1;
  4. For each one of the files, access the "tools" screen (down button) and chose to "Save Cross Processing settings as a Favorite" option, and reallocate them to the My1, My2 and My3 slots.

Hope it works on the Q.

Cheers,

Last edited by slocant; 03-28-2013 at 10:26 AM. Reason: RAW files as a backup
03-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slocant Quote
With the K-01, I can save cross processing settings based on a RAW file made with the camera (not sure I can do it based on a JPEG) to one of the three custom slots (My1, My2 and My3).

Maybe the same can be done with the Q (which is on my wishlist).

This is how I would do it with my K-01:
  1. Make a photo with each of the custom settings (My1, My2 and My3). In RAW (?). Set the SD card used for this apart (just as a safety measure).
  2. Update the firmware with another SD card;
  3. Reinsert the SD card with the three DNG files made in step 1;
  4. For each one of the files, access the "tools" screen (down button) and chose to "Save Cross Processing settings as a Favorite" option, and reallocate them to the My1, My2 and My3 slots.

Hope it works on the Q.

Cheers,
Ah very clever. I suspect that will work. thanks
Now if only I could transfer them from my Q to my K01!! but that perhaps is asking a bit too much.

03-28-2013, 11:20 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Sharing your K-01 & Q SD card

While I am quite consistent about reformatting my SD cards regularly and especially so when switching between cameras, I found out the hard way what happens when you forget to do it. Not sure how this happened, but at some point my Q files jumped about 3,800 forward which I am sure came from the file numbering on the K-01. It doesn't really bother me, but some folks want their file numbers to somewhat match the number of actuations.

Just mentioning it so the procedure of sharing settings between the two cameras does not result in an unexpected rude awakening.
03-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, I've tried swapping cards to see what can be opened. The K01 will open the Q's jpegs, but not raw files, so I doubt I can recover the cross processing values that way.
03-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Well, I've tried swapping cards to see what can be opened. The K01 will open the Q's jpegs, but not raw files, so I doubt I can recover the cross processing values that way.
I guess if you have a file with the settings exactly as you want, I'd use the full EXIF program here - Check Shutter Count & Camera Manufacture Date Online - EXIF Reader and then work off of that copied information to make the transfer. I don't know if you get everything or not that way, but you'd get reasonably close.

Last edited by ScooterMaxi Jim; 03-28-2013 at 01:50 PM.
03-31-2013, 05:24 PM   #12
Forum Member

The K01 will open the Q's jpegs, but not raw files, so I doubt I can recover the cross processing values that way.
The K-01 can save cross processing settings from its own JPEG files.

Maybe it can from the Q's JPEGs.

Cheers,