Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2013, 03:58 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
You can only go so far on your budget, given your IQ needs. The K-01 will take you the furthest.

The lack of VF is not a real issue. The better 3.0x screen loupes such as the folding Perfect GGS version will work just fine when you need that.

You can build your lens kit gradually, but those costs are going to be there no matter what you choose. At least with Pentax, you can look at some MF legacy glass, and with the fine focus peaking on the K-01 everything will work out for you. The only down side with going with Pentax for wedding shots is the flash system isn't the best - but at least the K-01 handles flash better than any of the previous models, including the K5.
The cost for K mount lenses is not really any more for similar quality than for the Q. The 50 equivalent prime (01) is very nice but you can get a good 35 (rough 50 equivalent) for $150 - which is less than the 01 by itself. You can get an DAL 18-55 for $60 or a better 18-125 with HSM from Sigma for $299. There are literally thousands of models of K mount lenses to choose from and many of us have bought and sold scores of them that were bargains. The Q has 6 lenses available (3 of which are not toys) and the adapter for K mount lenses costs $249 or so.

03-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
the adapter for K mount lenses costs $249 or so.
That's the (admittedly better) Pentax adapter. You can also go with a cheaper one for about $25.

The thing about the K-01 is, if he's wanting to get away from the larger size of a DSLR, the K-01 isn't much smaller than a Pentax DSLR.
03-29-2013, 05:25 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
That's the (admittedly better) Pentax adapter. You can also go with a cheaper one for about $25.

The thing about the K-01 is, if he's wanting to get away from the larger size of a DSLR, the K-01 isn't much smaller than a Pentax DSLR.
It's smaller than the model he has

Dynax 7D
Dimensions 150 x 106 x 78 mm (5.9 x 4.2 x 3.1 in) Weight (no batt/lens) 760 g (1.68 lb)
K-01
Weight (inc. battery) 561 g (1.24 lb / 19.79 oz) Dimensions122 x 79 x 58 mm (4.8 x 3.11 x 2.28″)
03-29-2013, 06:26 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElvisQ Quote
Thanks Dave! Yes, use wireless triggers it's a good idea. I can put a bracket below the Q and hold the flash to the side, and not on the shoe. Something like this: http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4926401445561260

Scooter i agree, the VF it's not indispensable. But what advantage has the K-01 on the Q? Only the better sensor?
If you plan on rotating the Q, you are better off with something like this:

Stratos FBX Folding Mini Bracket (Blue) STFBXBLUE B&H Photo

It allows you to flip the flash so the flash is above the camera when you turn the camera 90 degrees. This is important for weddings because people look better when the light comes from above.

03-29-2013, 06:46 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter

I would upgrade your DSLR (K-30 or old K-5 can be had pretty cheap now), but if you really want to avoid that, the K-01 will kill the Q for wedding/event shooting.

It has a high quality APS-C sensor with excellent high ISO performance. The Q gets noisy from ISO 400, and above 1600 it is unusable for anything where IQ is important.
It takes high quality K-mount lenses without an adaptor, keeping full AF functionality.
Because of the above, depth of field control is infinitely better.
The bigger size makes it easier to hand hold.
The button layout is easier to negotiate.
The video is excellent.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Q (and Q-10) too. It's just a matter of using the right tool for the job.
03-30-2013, 05:29 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
It's smaller than the model he has
Ah... I thought he had a Pentax for some reason. :-)
04-01-2013, 11:39 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I actually think the Q (after even 1.10 firmware update) might already have better AF performance than the K-01. I've found the K-01's AF to be sorely lacking in low light (though there was at least one firmware update that improved that somewhat as well).

That said, as much as I like the fun Q kit, I have to wonder whether the OP would be better served by something else for weddings. There are often good deals now on Panasonic Lumix m4/3 G3 or GX1.
04-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
Sorry, I forgot to mention an important detail! I do not want the camera look like a DSLR. My main theme is street photography (in the future I want to do wedding photography, not now). Many people are afraid when they see a DSLR (I also feel that way sometimes when someone point me with a DSLR).
So discard a D7000, K5 or any DSRL. And also discard the OM-D, GH3, G5 ... because they look like a DSLR.

I like the GX1, the Nikon V1 and the Q.
The GX1 don't have a cheap compact zoom (the 14-42 X is most value tan the GX1!). The kit lens is big, plastic and ugly!
The Nikon V1 es great and the kit lens too... but I don't like the proprietary shoe, and there are rumors of a Nikon 2 System (a new mount with new lenses, discontinuing the Nikon 1 System)
So the Pentax Q it's the best option I found. This is the cheapest, the smallest and the funniest camera I ever seen. I download a lot of pictures to 6400ISO and are not so bad! With a bit of noise reduction are fully usable. I don't need the D800 sensor!

So thanks a lot to all! I think I will buy the Pentax Q! I hope no one feels bad about this decision, I value each answer... but the more I learn about Q, the more I like it!!!

04-02-2013, 11:41 AM   #24
Veteran Member

There is a new Q out or coming out soon, no idea on where it might be better though.

From what i can make out from the specs.
Q10
+ a lot of new colours http://www.pentaximaging.com/Q10studio#/13/5
+ new back lit sensor, that often means better higher ISO performance.

For the rest it's hard to make out what is different, i hope they have Improve RAW performance, from what i read that was not super.

Have you looked at fuji as well?

Last edited by Anvh; 04-02-2013 at 11:53 AM.
04-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
There is a new Q out or coming out soon, no idea on where it might be better though.

From what i can make out from the specs.
Q10
+ a lot of new colours Digital Cameras by PENTAX
+ new back lit sensor, that often means better higher ISO performance.

For the rest it's hard to make out what is different, i hope they have Improve RAW performance, from what i read that was not super.

Have you looked at fuji as well?
Yes, the Pentax Q10 went on sale a few months ago. Theoretically it should be a low-end Q. But today is more expensive and has a plastic body!
The original Pentax Q with firmware updates is equal or better than the Q10.

The Fujifilm are very nice, but in my country are very expensive. The Fuji X100 has a very slow AF and the lens is fixed. The EX-1 is expensive here and the X-Pro1 much more! And the lenses are also expensive and not very good AF.

I like the Pentax MX-1 but this does not have a hot shoe (neither the Sony RX100)
04-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Yeah plastic body, but good plastic is not bad at all.
I'm curious how the image quality compare because Pentax is saying they are using a different sensor, a backlit one, these are more sensitive by design so they need less amplification for higher ISO.
04-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Both the Q and Q10 are the Sony Exmor backside illuminated sensor - possibly slightly altered but hardly a new generation from one to the other.

What appears to have happened is native resolution was reduced very slightly (both are 100 ISO for all practical purposes even though the Q is rated at 125 - but it really is closer to 100).

So, it is likely that the Q10 will give you a very slightly cleaner image at lowest ISO while the Q is better at anything higher than base, but you probably would be very hard pressed when looking side-by-side.

I'm glad I have the Q (just for the feel and look of it), but a clear improvement for the Q10 is the electronic shutter which can scan the sensor in 1/30 rather than 1/13 - and that is a real difference.

I have no idea if the faster scan of the sensor is related to the sensor itself, the shutter, or the buffer.

Last edited by ScooterMaxi Jim; 04-02-2013 at 02:22 PM.
04-03-2013, 01:27 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Both the Q and Q10 are the Sony Exmor backside illuminated sensor - possibly slightly altered but hardly a new generation from one to the other.
Ah okay, i could not find the information that the Q was backlit as well. Thanks for the correction
04-03-2013, 05:34 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ElvisQ Quote
I want to replace my huge DSLR for a mirrorless. Unfortunately the price is the key. I can not spend over $ 400 on the camera with zoom lens. The Pentax Q seems like a great option.
I need a camera to take all day over. But I also need a hot shoe flash for using in wedding photography (and a good AF too!).

The Pentax Q gives me a hot shoe, it's ridiculously small and light, the lenses are very cheap... I love the Pentax Q! For many time I want to have it. But I have some questions about it:

1. How I can get bokeh with the Pentax Q? What lens do I need? (it's for portraits)
2. I know the AF has improved with firmware updates. With the v1.11 is really good in low light?
3. Can you show me some example to 6400 ISO? I want to try to apply the noise reduction in Lightroom, maybe I get a good result.

Thanks for readme!
Daniel.

PD: The other camera I can buy is the Nikon V1. It's have an excellent AF, an EVF and a good image quality in high ISO. But it's don't have a standar hot shoe, it's bigger than the Pentax Q, and the lenses are more expensive too. I have to decide which to buy.

Hmmm... frankly its a tall order for the little Q.

IMHO, to have the Q is to have fun and abandon all previous conceived notions about pixel peeping IQ, ISO performance, sensor size prejudice and all that.

#1 - only possible at close focusing distances and far backgrounds. The Q is not intended for this purpose (Period)
#2 - I failed to get the 1.11 firmware before they removed it for debugging.... sorry, can't help here
#3 - ISO6400? - well, all I can say is that it will still show a semblance of a subject compared to DSLRs
The thing is that with a flash and ISO400-800 and a Prime 01 that has so much DOF at f1.9 or f2, you don't even need to go high iso
Here is part of a short review on the Q10 where I talk about the practical implications of this.
Pentax Q10 - a quick review
04-03-2013, 06:45 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
How I can get bokeh with the Pentax Q? What lens do I need? (it's for portraits)
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
IMHO, to have the Q is to have fun and abandon all previous conceived notions about pixel peeping IQ, ISO performance, sensor size prejudice and all that.
According to DoFMaster iPhone app:
  • Format - Compact digital
  • Lens - 9mm (there isn't a choice for 8.5mm
  • f/stop - f/2 (there isn't a choice for f/1.9)
  • Focus distance
    • 5 feet
      • Near limit - 4.08 feet
      • Far limit - 6.45 feet
      • Total DOF - 2.36 feet
      • Hyperfocal distance 22.2 feet
    • 10 feet
      • Near limit - 6.9 feet
      • Far limit - 18.2 feet
      • Total DOF - 11.3 feet
      • Hyperfocal distancne 22.2 feet
    • 20 feet
      • Near Limit - 10.5 feet
      • Far limit - 204 feet
      • Total DOF - 193 feet
      • Hyperfocal distance - 22.2 feet
It sure is a lot of fun! That doesn't mean we have to limit ourselves to party snaps. We can make serious photographs, just not all of them.

We can't replicate Ansel Adams Abiquiu shots with 135 film either, but so what? (I know this - my daughter tried).

Last edited by monochrome; 04-03-2013 at 07:00 AM.