Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-29-2013, 03:23 AM   #1
Forum Member

Some questions about Pentax Q

I want to replace my huge DSLR for a mirrorless. Unfortunately the price is the key. I can not spend over $ 400 on the camera with zoom lens. The Pentax Q seems like a great option.
I need a camera to take all day over. But I also need a hot shoe flash for using in wedding photography (and a good AF too!).

The Pentax Q gives me a hot shoe, it's ridiculously small and light, the lenses are very cheap... I love the Pentax Q! For many time I want to have it. But I have some questions about it:

1. How I can get bokeh with the Pentax Q? What lens do I need? (it's for portraits)
2. I know the AF has improved with firmware updates. With the v1.11 is really good in low light?
3. Can you show me some example to 6400 ISO? I want to try to apply the noise reduction in Lightroom, maybe I get a good result.

Thanks for readme!
Daniel.

PD: The other camera I can buy is the Nikon V1. It's have an excellent AF, an EVF and a good image quality in high ISO. But it's don't have a standar hot shoe, it's bigger than the Pentax Q, and the lenses are more expensive too. I have to decide which to buy.

03-29-2013, 04:51 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Despite your questions being posted to the "Pentax Q" crowd, I'm gonna suggest you go with the Nikon V1.

If you are replacing your huge DSLR, and don't want to lose much performance, the Q won't cut it for AF, image quality, or high-ISO, etc. The Q is a "fun camera" and a great "companion" to a DSLR, or for when you don't want the bulk. The old Nikon V1 is a little less "user-friendly" for manual photography (no PASM dial, lots of buried features), but the Pros outweigh the Cons for what you've described - plus you will get better bokeh for portraits than on the Q because the V1 sensor is bigger. However, the lenses are much more expensive, so you will break your $400 budget, easily!

Last edited by panoguy; 03-29-2013 at 04:57 AM.
03-29-2013, 05:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I agree with panoguy. There is a noticeable image quality drop-off from dSLRs to the Q. Your other option is to look at a used micro four-thirds kit. There are a number of m4/3 kits being heavily discounted now.
03-29-2013, 05:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If it's for weddings - stick with the huge dSLR.

03-29-2013, 06:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
If it's for weddings - stick with the huge dSLR.
Agreed - cant beat a big sensor.
I love my Q; but it'd never completely replace my K5.
About the only option would be an OMD if the high-ISO was better.
03-29-2013, 06:06 AM   #6
Inactive Account

For simulated DoF, the Q has blur control. It's not a perfect substitute and blurring the background for portraits could also be done in photoshop. Even with a low f-stop number, there's no way around the physics. A few test shots in a store might give you a better sense for the real world performance or you can check out the photos in one of the "post your shots threads".
03-29-2013, 06:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's larger, but have you given the Pentax K-01 a look?

03-29-2013, 06:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I guess it depends, are you just a spectator at these weddings or are you getting paid to shoot em? If the latter the Q will be just fine, for assignment, oh man, I would never use my Q for assignment, maybe for discreet candid images for small prints, but for paid wedding shoots I would suggest dumping your gear and going with a used canon rebel, I know lots of wedding photogs using apsc cannons, great AF on canons... or save up an extra $100 and get a K-30, or get a K-01 but AF ain't no where near wedding fast, maybe if you get skilled enough with the focus peaking, I feel I'd be able to shoot a wedding using the K-01's focus peaking but I also don't know how I'd feel running around with my yellow K-01 at a wedding shoot even though the image quality with high quality lenses is superb... But than again if this is for paid shoots $400 isnt going to cut it...
03-29-2013, 06:31 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I agree with basically everything panoguy said, although with the new firmware just released yesterday, the Q's AF outperforms my DSLRs.

While the IQ of the Q isn't up to DSLR standards, you'll usually only notice it when you pixel peep at 100%. You'll need a fast lens (like an f:1.4) to get decent bokeh effects on the Q because of the sensor size. That said, most lenses aren't very sharp when opened up that far. You also won't want to use it at ISO6400. On the Q, ISO800 is about the highest I like to go. I have lightroom too, but there's a limit to how much noise reduction you can apply before the image looks like crap.

The Q is a great little camera and it's a ton of fun, but if you're planning on doing weddings, you'll definitely want to keep your DSLR.

If you have the money, I'd pick up a Q anyway, AND keep your DSLR. You'd have the best of both worlds that way. Plus, you can use your DSLR lenses on the Q with an adapter for some insanely long tele reach.

I don't know which DSLR you have, but the K-01 isn't much (if any) smaller than the average Pentax DSLR, btw. Not enough to be noticeable, anyway.

Last edited by GibbyTheMole; 03-29-2013 at 06:37 AM.
03-29-2013, 07:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
It's larger, but have you given the Pentax K-01 a look?
Size of the camera does not much for the total size of a system, the lenses takes up the most room in my bag
03-29-2013, 07:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Good question, what DSLR are we talking about?
03-29-2013, 11:33 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for your responses. Maybe I misspoke. My DSRL is huge in size but not in performance. This is a Konica Minolta Dynax 7D... is bigger than a K-5, but it's from 2004! It has 6 megapixels and is good up to 1600 ISO. So I think the Pentax Q can replace it.

The main use is general photography. Now that the Pentax Q has a good AF, only I have to be careful with the ISO. For weddings, events or concerts my idea is use an AF360 on it (or a Manfrotto LED), with him I can keep the ISO as low as possible.

It is hard to imagine, but I think I can do it with the Q. If the AF is good and I will use a powerful flash, can I have another problem that the Pentax Q for semi-pro use?

PS: The K-01 is tempting, but its size is much larger and still no EVF (even optional). And the lenses are much larger and expensive. But yeah, I've thought about it before!
03-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

ElvisQ- The Q is extremely tiny...putting any flash on it makes it extremely top heavy and difficult to hold. I've put my af540 on it for kicks but it is tiring to hold something that ungainly out in front of you while taking pictures.

I think some people have used wireless triggers in the hot shoe to trigger slave flashes but I don't have any details on that.
03-29-2013, 12:28 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Go with the K-01

You can only go so far on your budget, given your IQ needs. The K-01 will take you the furthest.

The lack of VF is not a real issue. The better 3.0x screen loupes such as the folding Perfect GGS version will work just fine when you need that.

You can build your lens kit gradually, but those costs are going to be there no matter what you choose. At least with Pentax, you can look at some MF legacy glass, and with the fine focus peaking on the K-01 everything will work out for you. The only down side with going with Pentax for wedding shots is the flash system isn't the best - but at least the K-01 handles flash better than any of the previous models, including the K5.
03-29-2013, 03:55 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Dave! Yes, use wireless triggers it's a good idea. I can put a bracket below the Q and hold the flash to the side, and not on the shoe. Something like this: http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4926401445561260

Scooter i agree, the VF it's not indispensable. But what advantage has the K-01 on the Q? Only the better sensor?