Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2013, 12:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flash for the Q

I realise this is kinda pointless given the onboard pop-up flash isnt actually horrible; BUT.... I have a little project I want to try...
Does anyone know of a tiny, tiny little Flash/Speedlight that would suit the Q's diminutive size?

03-30-2013, 01:07 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Pentax AF540FGZ
03-30-2013, 01:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Funny
03-30-2013, 03:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There is the Bolt VS-260: Bolt VS-260 Compact On-Camera Flash for Pentax/Samsung TTL.

It's not expensive and even has a tilt head. The size looks right for the Q. Not sure if anyone here has tried it yet. I've been tempted to get one.

03-30-2013, 04:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
oh; doesnt have to be TTL
I'm thinking one of the little Diana F flashes for that full retro look
03-30-2013, 08:33 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Keep in mind that a non-pTTL works with the 01, 02 and 06, but will not trigger with any other lens.

I did buy a small, cheap generic pTTL - the Opteka EF-750 with bounce. It is a nice fit, and does allow your fingers to get under the flash body to reach controls (this is very important!). As far as performance, it works but to get proper exposure you really need to be near full output of the unit (which isn't all that hard to do if you decide to bounce, or otherwise spread the light output when shooting at close range). Typically you want to dial-in flash underexposure. Also, a dedicated Pentax hot shoe cord (the cheap coiled Vivitar from BH is very good and solid) gives you a lot of flexibility to move the flash away from the camera for more-pleasing results.

I don't plan use much flash with the Q (I don't use flash much in the first place), but so far I have found that using the on-board flash as a master dialed down to lowest output (-2) coupled with a Metz in servo mode works quite well (my Metz AF-1 is a Canon, but that isn't relevant when using servo mode). You have a lot of control of lighting with that kind of set up. The higher end Metz units are very nice (but complicated for occasional use).
03-30-2013, 09:11 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Keep in mind that a non-pTTL works with the 01, 02 and 06, but will not trigger with any other lens.
This is actually incorrect. It's a bit counter-intuitive, but if you turn the flash "off" in the flash menu (far right option), a non-dedicated, non-P-TTL external flash will fire with MF Q system lenses or adapted lenses. Personally, I have a Metz 20 C2, a Metz 24 AF1, and a couple of Sunpak PF 20 XD s that I use with the Qs. If you want to use external flash with the Q, it would probably be a good idea to do a search for threads on this forum about external flash with the Q -- there are quirks. . .

. . . and it wouldn't hurt to express some concern to Pentax about the Q external flash protocols -- why give us a hot shoe and then make us have to experiment to find out how to actually use it?

Scott
03-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
This is actually incorrect. It's a bit counter-intuitive, but if you turn the flash "off" in the flash menu (far right option), a non-dedicated, non-P-TTL external flash will fire with MF Q system lenses or adapted lenses. Personally, I have a Metz 20 C2, a Metz 24 AF1, and a couple of Sunpak PF 20 XD s that I use with the Qs. If you want to use external flash with the Q, it would probably be a good idea to do a search for threads on this forum about external flash with the Q -- there are quirks. . .

. . . and it wouldn't hurt to express some concern to Pentax about the Q external flash protocols -- why give us a hot shoe and then make us have to experiment to find out how to actually use it?

Scott
Scott, which one of your flashes do you like the best on the Q?

03-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveInPA Quote
Scott, which one of your flashes do you like the best on the Q?
Hi Dave,

The 24 AF 1 is always in the bag because it's convenient -- P-TTL only. It's all the external flash I usually need for simple flash use with either the Q or K-5/IIs -- the GN of 24 is really enough power to bounce in small rooms with the good high ISO performance of these cameras, and for macro -- my most common need for an external. I also bought the 20 C2 because I sometimes want a manual flash, and the 24 AF 1 doesn't have a manual mode. Both have reflectors that tilt up to 90 degrees.

The Sunpaks are great tiny flashes that I usually use as optically fired slaves. They can be set to fire on a single flash trigger or to ignore the digital preflash and fire on the main flash. They are manual or auto thyristor only, but they can add some versatility (and power) for use with the AF Q system lenses or the Pentax OEM K2Q Adapter triggered from the popup flash with sync up to 1/2000 or 1/1000 respectively. They can also be fired from the hotshoe if I want the most compact manual/Auto external system. Because they don't tilt, they aren't as versatile for on-camera mounting as either of the Metzs.

The best for general use is probably the Metz 24 AF1. For macro, I'll probably use the Sunpaks as digital optical slaves on a FotoPro flexible dual bracket fired with the popup. I haven't had much of a chance to use this setup outdoors yet, so we'll see how it works when the bugs start coming out now that it's warming up outside.

For me, all of them are useful in different situations -- I like to have the right flash for whatever purpose -- and I have quite a few flashes even though I'm not the most sophisticated flash user.

Scott
03-30-2013, 03:14 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lurch Quote
Funny

Smoke signals.
Should i take a pic of my AF540FGZ on my Q? I think my AF400FTZ is even bigger.
03-30-2013, 04:29 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Scott
Actually, I am correct about non-pTTL external flash with adapted lenses - THEY DO NOT WORK - EVER. The authority around here is Devorama. He has a guide here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/159246-definitive-manual-externa...-guidance.html

Take care to read to the end where he corrects his earlier post:
Edit 2011-09-30: I just discovered that while you can sync the internal flash to an adapted (non Q) lens to 1/13 second, you cannot do the same for manual external flashes. When using a fully manual, no electrical contact lens in front of the Q, I cannot find a way to get my external manual flash to fire at any shutter speed. However, in the same setup with no lens electrically attached, I am still able to use an external PTTL flash and sync it at up to 1/13 seconds. This is troubling because I'd like to be able to use adapted lenses AND my external manual flash at once.

I have independently verified this.

Last edited by ScooterMaxi Jim; 03-30-2013 at 04:35 PM.
03-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Actually, I am correct about non-pTTL external flash with adapted lenses - THEY DO NOT WORK - EVER. The authority around here is Devorama. He has a guide here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/159246-definitive-manual-externa...-guidance.html

Edit 2011-09-30: I just discovered that while you can sync the internal flash to an adapted (non Q) lens to 1/13 second, you cannot do the same for manual external flashes. When using a fully manual, no electrical contact lens in front of the Q, I cannot find a way to get my external manual flash to fire at any shutter speed. However, in the same setup with no lens electrically attached, I am still able to use an external PTTL flash and sync it at up to 1/13 seconds. This is troubling because I'd like to be able to use adapted lenses AND my external manual flash at once.

What is the setup you used to verify? I recall being able to fire my remote triggers with an adapted lens.
If you layout your set up I will try to re create. Which adapter are you using?
03-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Actually, I am correct about non-pTTL external flash with adapted lenses - THEY DO NOT WORK - EVER. The authority around here is Devorama. He has a guide here: Definitive manual external flash guidance
Actually, this is no longer correct as the Q can fire manual external flashes with the Pentax OEM K2Q adapter and the flash turned off in the flash menu. I'd switched over to using this adapter exclusively since it was released with both manual and P-TTL flashes since getting it, so that's why I had a brainfreeze stating that manual flashes would fire with adapted lenses in my previous post.

Manual flashes will not fire with 3rd party adapters, but will fire with the Pentax OEM adapter. There are some goofy rules that I haven't quite worked out though, like shutter speed needs to be 1/160 to start, first shot might or might not fire the flash, but it will work for the 2nd and subsequent shots. Shutter speed can be changed to 1/125 after getting the flash to fire at 1/160, and it will continue to work, but not necessarily with other shutter speeds, etc.

Scott
03-30-2013, 11:33 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Ah, yes. I am using an adapter with no contacts. I suspect the OP - who is looking at going with a small non-dedicated flash - is also unlikely to be looking at the Pentax adapter.

So, it would be great if someone put together a more comprehensive chart. A lot of variables given the various shutters involved, flash modes, etc. To say the least, Q will never be a go-to first choice for use with external flash.
04-01-2013, 11:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
why give us a hot shoe and then make us have to experiment to find out how to actually use it?
That is a Pentax Tradition, not unique to the Q!