Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
Forum Member

Tone Expansion after FW 1.11 ???

Does anyone had this bug with the new Firmware update 1.11 ?

I wanted to shoot with the Smart Effect "Tone Expansion" and I found there's no effect at all !!! This effect was supposed to produce a dramatic image with an artistic finishing touch, close to an intensified HDR (High Dynamic Range) effect.

See the file attached

Thanks!

Attached Images

Last edited by dodel; 04-01-2013 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Add photo
04-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The colors are all neutral here, could that be why?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The colors are all neutral here, could that be why?
This photo is supposed to be in Tone Expansion. As you can see, all colors are neutral.

I didn't touch any color setting on my Q. I did update to 1.11 and after that, I changed my set-up in "Quick Dial" for Smart effect, with Tone Expansion in my setting #1.

Then, I shot this photo (see above) with my Quick Dial in #1 position as I set it (Tone Expansion).

So, am I doing something wrong or just Pentax changed it Tone Expasion for Neutral Color ?

I think the update to Firmware 1.11 has some bugs and this is one !

Last edited by dodel; 04-01-2013 at 02:03 PM. Reason: add some explanations
04-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by dodel Quote
This photo is supposed to be in Tone Expansion. As you can see, all colors are neutral.

I think the update to Firmware 1.11 had some bugs and this is one !
Have you tried shooting any other scenes? It's hard to get an HDR effect is there are no shadows or highlights to begin with

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Have you tried shooting any other scenes? It's hard to get an HDR effect is there are no shadows or highlights to begin with
Adam, I've added another photo in my first message above. As you can see, my tone expansion didn't work. Everything is faded again !

Can someone with Pentax Q (Firmware 1.11) try to shoot with Tone Expansion ?
04-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I can shoot Tone Expansion with Fw 1.11 (the bootleg 1st pressing, not the official one), no problem. The effect is that it lightens your shadows, compresses your highlights and neutralizes colors (which can look "faded").

Easy way to see if it's working for you: assign "Smart Effects" to the front Quick Dial ("camera" menu, page 3, item Quick Dial), and make Tone Expansion the #1 position. The Q shows you the effect in Live View, so switching between position #0 (none) and #1 on the Quick Dial will show you just what the Tone Expansion does to that kind of scene.

EDIT: I tried it on my second Q (Fw 1.10), and the effect is the same. It varies based on your scene... and my scene is an office with lots of black and white and aluminum iMacs.
04-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
I can shoot Tone Expansion with Fw 1.11 (the bootleg 1st pressing, not the official one), no problem. The effect is that it lightens your shadows, compresses your highlights and neutralizes colors (which can look "faded").

Easy way to see if it's working for you: assign "Smart Effects" to the front Quick Dial ("camera" menu, page 3, item Quick Dial), and make Tone Expansion the #1 position. The Q shows you the effect in Live View, so switching between position #0 (none) and #1 on the Quick Dial will show you just what the Tone Expansion does to that kind of scene.

EDIT: I tried it on my second Q (Fw 1.10), and the effect is the same. It varies based on your scene... and my scene is an office with lots of black and white and aluminum iMacs.
panoguy: That's what I did. I assigned Tone Expansion in #1 position. When I change from 0 to position 1, I see this "faded" image in my Live View too.

04-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
panoguy: That's what I did. I assigned Tone Expansion in #1 position. When I change from 0 to position 1, I see this "faded" image in my Live View too.
It seem it's in my Q...

Can I downgrade to Firmware 1.10 ? Has Anybody kept the file ?
04-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Compare FW1.10 to FW 1.11

Here 3 photos showing exactly what I tought it's a bug.

Photo 1: Tone Expansion FW1.10
Photo 2: Tone Expansion FW1.11
Photo 3: No TE, only as shot with FW1.11

As you can see, in photo 1 (FW 1.10), there is a lot of effects. After update to FW1.11, I don't have any effects and it's a little bit over exposed, compare to the original (photo 3)
Attached Images

04-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I tried this out with my Q and V1.11 with Tone Expansion assigned to the Quick Dial position 1. The effect is definitely washed out when shooting a red oriental rug. The LCD has a Down Arrow next to the TE symbol in the upper right. Depressing the down 4-Way Controller Button calls up an intensity slider which is set to the lowest intensity. Moving the right 4-Way Controller button should increase the intensity of Tone Expansion in three steps - but it does nothing.

If there actually is a real bug this could be it.
04-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I tried this out with my Q and V1.11 with Tone Expansion assigned to the Quick Dial position 1. The effect is definitely washed out when shooting a red oriental rug. The LCD has a Down Arrow next to the TE symbol in the upper right. Depressing the down 4-Way Controller Button calls up an intensity slider which is set to the lowest intensity. Moving the right 4-Way Controller button should increase the intensity of Tone Expansion in three steps - but it does nothing.

If there actually is a real bug this could be it.
Glad to here I'm not the only one !
04-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It seem it's in my Q...

Can I downgrade to Firmware 1.10 ? Has Anybody kept the file ?
looks i have it and could email it to you but i don't know if it will downgrade
04-02-2013, 05:37 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
looks i have it and could email it to you but i don't know if it will downgrade
ivoire: Thanks for your help, but I found it yesterday
04-02-2013, 10:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I just got my Q today and it has V1.00 installed.

I might test out the function with V 1.00 then install the V1.10 test it and then install the copy of V1.11 from this site.

Personally, I don't rate the tone mapping look as seen in the first photo.

Actually my main concern with that photo is the box of tissues, the tube of moisturiser and the magazine (is that a B&H photo calatog??) provocatively protruding it's corner out of the cabinet below.

What's going on there?
04-02-2013, 10:46 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery