Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2013, 04:02 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Q Adaptors general question

In looking at many of the Q adaptors, it is very hard to determine which, aside from the Pentax one, allow aperture control or open closed selection through the adaptor.

Are there any others or is Pentax alone on this?

Also, are there any M42 adaptors which would allow open closed switch on the adaptors?

04-02-2013, 05:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have 2 Fotodiox adapters, my K mount adapter allows aperture control and works great on new lenses without aperture rings. I believe Fotodiox also sells one without aperture control not that you would want one. My Fotodiox 42mm adapter does not have aperture control. Don't most 42mm lenses have a on lens switch for for stop down DOF preview so you would not need a switch on a 42mm adapter. Below are links to the ones I have

Amazon.com: Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter with Aperture Dial, Pentax K/PK Lens to Pentax Q-Series Camera, fits Pentax Q Mirrorless Cameras: Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter (Type 2), M42 (42mm x1 Thread Screw) Lens to Pentax Q-Series Camera, fits Pentax Q Mirrorless Cameras: Electronics

As I shoot mostly hand held I found that I really needed the Pentax adapter with built a in shutter to eliminate the jello effect of the electronic shutter that the Q uses for adapted lenses.

I use a K mount adapter for my 42mm lenses on my Pentax adapter and that combo works great. I now have 2 Forodiox adapters I will never use again.

Hans

Last edited by hnikesch; 04-02-2013 at 05:53 AM.
04-02-2013, 06:28 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks for the clarification.

I will likely go for the true pentax adaptor, just to take the jello out
04-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I've only had the official Pentax adapter for about a week but so far I like it. Just wish that it came with tripod foot. I received my DAL 55-300 from KEH today for some super zoom action and now I have to look into getting a good macro lens too.

04-03-2013, 07:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
I've only had the official Pentax adapter for about a week but so far I like it. Just wish that it came with tripod foot. I received my DAL 55-300 from KEH today for some super zoom action and now I have to look into getting a good macro lens too.
I got a tripod foot from ebay per one of Scott's posts that works well. See my pimped post and search for Scott's (snostrom) post on the tripod foot

Hans

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/208945-chinese-tripod-rings-pent...ml#post2209331

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/220584-show-me-your-pimped-q.html#post2337961

Last edited by hnikesch; 04-03-2013 at 07:59 PM.
04-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
It is certainly pricey, but don't forget the official Pentax Tripod Foot. Mine makes the entire rig truly stable and useful. See the post in the Q Forum about how to order one from Pentax Parts (in USA or Canada).
04-04-2013, 03:17 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hans. The foot looks interesting, but I wonder about stability with anything but a hard mount. I had fits with my celestron C90 because it had the tripod foot mounted to the scope body through the rubber protective cladding (an option) . Ultimately I cut out the cladding over the foot mount, and set the mount to the body with epoxy to stop vibration that was causing loss of sharpness. That was on a K10. I would hate to see what any slightly soft or resilient mount would do to high frequency vibration with , say my K300/4 on a Q

04-04-2013, 05:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Hans. The foot looks interesting, but I wonder about stability with anything but a hard mount. I had fits with my celestron C90 because it had the tripod foot mounted to the scope body through the rubber protective cladding (an option) . Ultimately I cut out the cladding over the foot mount, and set the mount to the body with epoxy to stop vibration that was causing loss of sharpness. That was on a K10. I would hate to see what any slightly soft or resilient mount would do to high frequency vibration with , say my K300/4 on a Q
I altered the foot to fit tightly by grinding the stationary side to increase the gap so I could snug it on the barrel of the adapter. I get no movement or vibration when mounted to a stable tripod, it's hard plastic no rubber but doesn't damage the adapter.
Hans
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo