Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #1

Q hack to disable hdmi triggered playback?

I want to be able to make the camera NOT auto-magically enter "playback mode" when I plug the HDMI cord in. I want to stay in "record mode" when I plug the HDMI cord in. This seems like a relatively simple task and one I was hoping would be available by default. It's not.

I haven't found any 3rd party firmware or builds for the Q. I can find some info about hacking the K, but not the Q. Have you heard of anyone doing this? Is it the same or similar as hacking a K? I know this voids the warranty and all that. Just wondering if anyone has any information about this topic since there appears to be none in the forum or anywhere else I can find online.

PS. I hope this is the proper place for this post and that I'm not violating any policies by asking this.

04-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is an issue with the Q and the K-01. I'm not aware of any hack. Vitaly @ PersonalView has talked about the idea but I'm not sure if anything has ever been done.
04-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
Pentaxian

If you feel like messing with the cable, you can remove pin 19 (hot plug detect) and the camera might be fooled into not "seeing" that the HDMI cable is connected. Of course, the camera might also send no data across that "non-connected" cable. Look into HDMI protocols for more ideas... and good luck!
04-10-2013, 01:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have resurrected this thread as I have found out that the AV output does show you the rear screen for framing the shot etc.. You will need the USB to AV lead (the one with the yellow phono plug on it) and your monitor needs to have an AV input, but it does work as a remote viewfinder before you take the shot. You can also turn off the cameras screen (press the Info button twice) which saves battery.

Chris

04-10-2013, 04:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJ Quote
I have resurrected this thread as I have found out that the AV output does show you the rear screen for framing the shot etc.. You will need the USB to AV lead (the one with the yellow phono plug on it) and your monitor needs to have an AV input, but it does work as a remote viewfinder before you take the shot. You can also turn off the cameras screen (press the Info button twice) which saves battery.

Chris
Very nice, thanks for posting!
04-10-2013, 09:08 AM   #6

Chris
K-01 or Q?
04-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GXRUser Quote
K-01 or Q?

Both. Even the K5 in live view.

Chris
04-11-2013, 08:41 AM   #8

Both. Even the K5 in live view.

Chris
So the key is to NOT use the HDMI at all.

Use the usb/AV out as the video feed to the monitor and it also functions during shooting. Wonderful.

I guess the monitor needs to accept composite video...

05-06-2013, 03:57 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks!
05-07-2013, 03:20 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GXRUser Quote
So the key is to NOT use the HDMI at all.

Use the usb/AV out as the video feed to the monitor and it also functions during shooting. Wonderful.

I guess the monitor needs to accept composite video...
And you have to be able to live with composite video. But maybe I'm the only one who couldn't. Not just because it's old (and is it ever old! Early 1950s for the current version, 1930s for the original (same resolution, but no colour)), but because it's just not that good.

Nominally it gives you 480 usable lines, in practice since this is an interlaced signal you get maybe the same resolution as 360 lines. Vertical resolution is also tricky (for other reasons), but let's call it 480 to keep the pixels square. So we have 480x360 pixels (slightly more in PAL, but not much). This is about the same as the screen on the Q, but with extra colour artifacts. If I got an external screen I would have liked higher resolution.